THR What to do next?

PCScottsdale

Country
United States United States
Had a THR on left side Jan 2021 and DR said everything went well. Started rehab four days later and did rehab three times per week for six weeks and the other four days I did it on my own. Continued to rehab six/seven days per week for about 45 mins to an hour.

Seemed like things were fine but developed pain in my left leg. Started seeing a couple of the best PT folks in the area and they are stumped why I have pain in my left leg that moves around every day. May be in the outer thigh, upper thigh, knee area and certainly the groin.

Haven’t gotten better in a year and just had my first acupuncture session. That day and the next two days I have developed paralyzing pain in the knee cap to which I can’t walk.

X-rays of hip look great, MRI shows nothing. Ortho doesn’t have any ideas, PT said I should get a back MRI which I have scheduled for June 6.

At this point, I don’t know what to do or where to turn to. In constant pain and getting worse.

@PCScottsdale Welcome to BoneSmart. So sorry that hip has given you a rough time.

First - why all the PT? Hips don't really need all that and it certainly sounds like you may have overdone it. Are you still at the same activity level?

Good idea about a spinal x-ray. Pain can radiate from many areas and appear to be hip pain. Do you have any history of sciatic pain? The sciatic nerve runs very close to the hip and can be very painful.

Started back up doing PT due to pain in my left leg. Pain was pretty tough, but after doing sessions at PT or at home, I always got some relief. I go to formal PY session once every 10 days and continue to do my stretching six or seven days a week to strengthen glutes, back, adductors.

No sciatic pain as pain stops at the knee.

I have another acupuncture appt next week. The first appt seem to tamp down pain in groin area but has manifested jolting pain in knee cap.

What happens if you do nothing for a few days? I get stiffness and soreness and occasionally get pains but nothing real bad.

No sciatic pain as pain stops at the knee.
Ah - but is classic sciatic pain. I have chronic sciatic issues and in the early stages it felt like someone was trying to rip off my kneecap. I'll be interested to read about your spinal MRI results.

Have to be careful about sitting around because my TFL gets tight and then I would feel pain in the groin. Since the first acupuncture session, have not felt any pain in groin area, pretty much kneecap. Will see what happens after next acupuncture and back MRI.

Yes let us know what back scan results are.

MRI on back shows L4/L5 femoral narrowing
Went to neurologist who said back issue at L4/L5 is not connected to leg issues
He has me scheduled for MRI on left leg mid July and he will be able to read MRI plus do an EMG
Also said he thought I had some muscle atrophy in my left leg, though I can’t see any difference. He wants me to strengthen left leg, even though I have been doing exercises to do so. Now I am doing leg press, leg curls, etc
We’ll see what the outcome is in about three weeks

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
JanieMarie
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom