What pain meds can you tolerate?

Status
Not open for further replies.

phoggie

I am headed for back surgery and then double knee replacements....and I recently had a total hip replacement...but oh my gosh, I vomited my guts out from pain meds....tylenol seemed to be the only thing I could tolerate. Being that sick is worse than the pain was. Anyone else have such a terrible time tolerating the pain meds......and also the anesthesia?...what worked for you?......hope the OS will do a spinal instead. THANKS

Definitely a spinal for the BTKRs but not for the spinal!

I am very lucky - I can tolerate just about anything and everything.

The only thing I could suggest is that you have a serious talk with the doctors BEFORE surgery and see what other options in pain meds they could try and possibly some anti-nausea medicine too.

phoggie-- I have some problems with pain meds. Adn my spinal really didn't take, necessitating GA. If you have GA, I would think you would want to stay off solid food until your bowels wake up again in a day or so. As for other meds, I found that a tiny bit of food, like a saltine or 2 with my pain meds, held off the nausea. I'm no expert, but that seemed to work for me.
Tom

Jamie hit on the best solution, talk to the doctors before the surgery to see what is available and ask about the medicines they can give to keep the bad effects at bay. Good luck. Rowdy

I am definitely having problems with pain meds, they work for awhile then turn "speedy" on me so that I can't sleep, get tense all over and generally feel awful.

For my two hip resurfacings I used Vicodin, but now I can't use it due to speediness.

Told my knee doc this, so he gave me Darvocet for first TKR, it worked fine except at the very end when it turned "speedy" on me.

I told doc about Darvocet and Vicodin, so got Ultram and Oxycodone for this surgery (I'm now day 4 from surgery). They are working fine so far, but with my track record they may turn "speedy" on me later.

During my hospital stay, they gave me some Lyrica and that immediately turned me speedy and very uncomfotable. They gave me tons of Ativan and other things to offset it, their antidotes worked but I was supposed to be released the next day and doc made me stay another day since I was slurring my words and very unsteady from the "antidotes".

I don't ever get nauseous, but I do have those patches behind the ear to prevent nausea...It's called TRANSDERM SCŌP or SCOPOLAMINE patch.

Hollie

Hollie,

You are not alone. I have the same problem with a lot of drugs: Percocet, Vicodin, Morphine...... I always say these drugs make me feel like I want to crawl out of my skin. I can usually cope with the vicodin, to a point, but never near bed time or its no sleep for me. Karen

Take the good advice and talk to your doc before surgery. I recently had back surgery and talked to my doc about what options there were for the PCA. I had dilaudid instead of morphine as I thought I did better on it.
judy

Because of my problrms with morphine, I also use Dilaudad in the hospital but I've never been able to get a home presecription for it.

Although I can't tolerate due to "speediness" Lyrica, Vicodin, Celebrex, Naprosyn, Mobic, Darvocet, and some others, I'm doing fine on Ultram and Percocet (Oxycodone).

Hollie

Great, Hollie....so glad you hung in there until you found something that works for you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Dave4562