THR What kind of anesthesia did you have for hip surgery

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ramp

Country
Canada Canada
I have read that people having hip surgery, THR or arthroscopy, usually are totally knocked out or are awake with an epidural so they can't feel anything. What did most of you have ? I don't think I could imagine being awake and hearing the sounds of drills or saws? That seems pretty scary to me. What were your experiences ? I know the other way carries more risk and you have to have a tube. Did you get to choose ? Is there a "better" way

Thanks !

Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart mobile app

Epidural - and was totally unconscious. A "minute" after they inserted the epidural I awoke to a new hip. Felt great and not nauseous.

Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum

Spinal and sedation are the way to go. No groggy feeling or nausea during recovery and you have the added benefit of pain management for several hours post op. I agree - I did not want to see or hear anything during the op. Just tell the anaesthetist - they will put you into a nice, comfy sleep.

Here's a thread about the various Anaesthetics - spinals, femoral blocks, GAs and everything else .

@Ramp I had spinal and sedation - was great and long lasting pain relief afterwards. No Nausea - would have it everytime if possible.

Definitely spinal and sedation!!! The only really odd thing I remember as I was waking up, it LITERALLY felt (I so can't stand when people say "literally"[emoji12] ) like I had sand in my eyes!! This burning /itching feeling only lasted an hour or so, but something oddly unexpected..... felt NO pain for a couple hours till everything started wearing off~ then came the OUCH [emoji30][emoji30][emoji30]

Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum

Like others said, spinal and sedation--I remember NOTHING after the spinal until waking up in recovery!

I had a general and a spinal. I had a lateral approach and they like to use a general for that because you are on your side and something to do with how your head tilts they prefer patients to be intubated. I was very nervous about having a general from everything I had read. I have also had sedation for many other procedures and that was what I wanted. However, upon wakening I felt no less groggy than when I had sedation in the past. I had very little nausea as well. Having had both, I can honestly say for me, there was little difference, other than my throat being a wee bit raspy for 1-2 days afterwards.

Be reassured @Ramp - there is no need to suffer the symphony of the operating theatre! After the spinal (which doesn't hurt) gentle sedation via a canula will will send you off to a lovely sleep. Next moment you are having all those little tabs pulled off your chest and it's done.

I had general with no issues or nausea as I did for my knees. I just remind the anesthesiologist that I want something for nausea along with his drugs.

Be reassured @Ramp - there is no need to suffer the symphony of the operating theatre! After the spinal (which doesn't hurt) gentle sedation via a canula will will send you off to a lovely sleep. Next moment you are having all those little tabs pulled off your chest and it's done.

Same here - anterior THR with spinal & in lala land until it was all done! :)

I had spinal and sedation. I was out like light. Wasn't even awake for the spinal. Didn't hear a thing either. One minute I'm in the OR next minute I was waking up in recovery. Like others have said the extended pain relief from the spinal was wonderful. I had posterior approach.

I had a spinal too. Last thing I remember was getting on the HANA table

I had general and anterior method (both hips, different operations). No problems. Had an ear patch put on pre-op for nausea but probably didn't need it. I was out before getting to the operating room both times.

I had general anesthesia. Told Anesthesiologist of my propensity to get nauseated and she gave me a medicated patch to wear behind my ear. No issues with nausea. I was sleepy after the operation, and felt a little loopy, but it wasn't scary or annoying. I just, well, took a nap! My throat was sore for a day from being intubated, but luckily I invest in Strepsils whenever I go abroad and have a stash handy since you can't buy them here! It was mildly uncomfortable, but not like strep or anything!

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
iriswest
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom