BoneSmart® Hip / Knee Replacement Forum
Knee Replacement & Hip Replacement
Patient Advocacy & Online Community

What is your biggest concern about a THR???

Discussion in 'Hip Replacement Pre-Op Area' started by sequin98, Sep 11, 2017.

1. sequin98

sequin98

Canada Canada
    OK, I worry about cutting all that muscle...

• Like Like x 1
    Tags:
  2. dapplega

dapplega

United States United States
    Good question...
    My main concerns are:
    How long it will last (will I need a revision...)?
    What activities I can safely resume without increasing wear (beyond walking, golf, etc.)? For example, if I do the eliptical for cardio 3 or 4 times a week will that shorten the joints useful life?...
    Enquiring minds want to know... :)
    D

3. djklaugh

djklaugh

@sequin98 Nowadays muscles are not cut for a hip replacement. Surgeon merely moves muscles to one side and has access to the hip capsule. While there maybe some tissue trauma and swelling after HR that goes away fairly quickly with icing and elevating the leg.

@dapplega With modern materials hips will probably last for the rest of your life :) While a few people might need a revision for reasons other than the hardware wears out, that does not happen very often. And most folks can return to their usual and fun activities after HR. My surgeon told me the only thing I should never, ever do is bungie cord jumping ... no problem as that has never been on my bucket list :) - and I had both hips done at the same time :)

Materials these days are tough enough to stand up to most activities. The caveat being take it slow at the beginning and allow your self to fully heal before diving back into rigorous exercise. This is to make sure the muscles around the hip are strengthened properly. HR is MAJOR surgery and recuperation can take 3-6 months or more depending on the individual.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Jaycey

Jaycey Moderator

United Kingdom United Kingdom
    :goodpost:

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. sequin98

sequin98

Canada Canada
    :egypdance:

• Funny Funny x 1
  6. GrannyC

GrannyC

Totally agree with @djklaugh on the surgery. It is not like it used to be and recovery is much better. Plus to rid yourself of that OA pain is amazing!!!

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. sfbaylover

sfbaylover

My biggest fear (aside from the surgery) is not being able to resume and maintain a highly active lifestyle post-surgery. I am 43, and other than my bad hip (hips, actually), I still feel at the top of my game (physically). But unfortunately, because of my hips, I have had to reduce my activity levels over the years, and my mobility and range of motion in both hips is pretty reduced; most days, I feel stiff and inhibited physically, which has a tremendous psychological impact. And that psychological impact is made worse when I think about the possibility of not being able to walk or move properly post-op.

I realize that most people have very good results from hip replacement surgery, but how many of those folks are highly active individuals who return to things like weight lifting, martial arts, cross-country hiking/mountain biking, etc? Being able to simply walk around and take a leisurely stroll or bike ride is one thing; being able to resume a more rigorous, hardcore type of active lifestyle is another. I worry about being condemned to living a relatively sedentary, non-rigorous type of lifestyle -- and that scares the hell out of me!

My hips have been bad since age 13, but luckily for me, I have managed to wring as much life out of these hips over the years as I possibly could. But still, there were many activities that I was not comfortable doing because my hip range of motion was too restricted. I always wanted to try various types of martial arts, but because of my hip stiffness, I had to settle for boxing only. And I used to love to run; I used to be a pretty solid runner for a number of years, but I haven't run in about ten years or so (and I don't plan on running after surgery either; running is one activity that I don't mind giving up). But I always had this utopian-like vision that once I got my hip (or hips replaced), I would be back to near 100% capabilities, but I'm not so sure how accurate that belief is. In terms of performing the activities of everyday living I'm sure I will be near 100% functionality; but for more rigorous athletic pursuits, I may have to settle for a much lower number of functionality.

8. Josephine

Josephine NURSE DIRECTOR Administrator

As a previous posted said, we don't cut muscle (makes it sound like we operate in an abattoir!) we carefully dissect and go through the many layers of the muscles.

fig9.jpg

Longevity of implants and revisions: how long will my new joint last
    Provided it's been properly put in - not in the least!
    It depends upon a lot of things:
    1. the patient's previous level of activity
    2. their determination
    3. The success of the surgery
    4. the success of the rehab - meaning don't go at it like hammer and tongs because that will get you nowhere. It's best to remember our "BIG TIP" which is that
    Hips actually don't need any exercise to get better. They do a pretty good job of it all on their own if given half a chance. Trouble is, people don't give them a chance and end up with all sorts of aches and pains and sore spots. All they need is the best therapy which is walking and even then not to excess.​

That doesn't have to be your fate - have a look in here Stories of amazing hip recoveries
    Wayne Sleep's THR - back in the Royal Ballet after 12 weeks!
    Nick Skelton (GB) wins Olympic gold one year after THR!!
    Tangoing at ten weeks!
    Dancing after THR: 4 months pics
    Weightlifting 1 year after BHR

• Like Like x 1
  9. firstx1017

firstx1017

I'm still holding off on my surgery. Was diagnosed a year ago with bone on bone OA in my hips, but I still LOVE to waterski and snowboard. I was able to waterski last summer (every weekend), snowboard all winter (every weekend) last year. This summer I was still able to waterski and I am planning on our long winter snowboarding every weekend again this year. I am holding the course and not getting worse. I cannot cross my legs, and have given up my 20,000 steps a day walking exercise (walking is the WORSE). I now do 1 hour on the elliptical and 1 hr on stationary bike a day, with long 30 miles bike rides on the weekends that I am not waterskiing. I have just started taking Meloxicam and wow, what a difference! I am hoping to postpone surgery as long as I am still able to waterski and snowboard. After surgery not sure if I will continue those sports. I would be upset with myself if I injured by hips falling while snowboarding and need a revision - because I do tend to fall a lot or people run into me snowboarding. My Dr. says he thinks waterskiing after surgery and full recovery should be okay to try and see how I feel - but even snowboarding, unless I could guarantee I would never fall, is risky - and I can't guarantee that.

I did go to PT and was given some exercises that I do every morning and every night that I think has strengthened my muscles and why I am holding the course and still able to waterski. Never thought I would be looking at hip replacement in my lifetime - it really has been hard to grasp I must say.

When I get to the point that I cannot waterski or snowboard, surgery will then be scheduled. Until then.... crossing fingers (since I can't cross my legs!)

10. sequin98

sequin98

Canada Canada
    So if there is no muscle cutting, what is the major difference between anterior and posterior?

11. Jaycey

Jaycey Moderator

Here's an article from our Library on approaches. THR approaches or incisions Basically anterior accesses the hip from the front, posterior from the back.

12. amb3k9

amb3k9

In my mid 30's now and will probably need in a few years. Still pretty active and I most worry about need for a revision. I also would like to continue to bike, ski, etc afterwards. Probably shouldn't kick the soccer ball around either. The actual surgery I don't think I would worry too much about. Generally pretty successful and done a lot.

13. Jaycey

Jaycey Moderator

Why not? THR is all about getting your life back. We have plenty of member who returned to sports like soccer, hockey, skiing.

• Like Like x 1
  14. zauberflöte

zauberflöte

@sequin98 my real concern for my first hip was, how bad am I going to hurt the week before surgery, when I am not allowed to take NSAIDs! And that was truly the worst of it. I had to clean the house, do mountains of laundry as we'd just gotten back from vacation, and stock the pantry from Costco. I was miserable. At no time after the surgery was I miserable. For my second hip, there was so much other junk going on in my life that I barely thought of it at all. Well, I did worry that I'd be scheduled for 4:00 pm and have to go all day without eating or drinking, which would have been misery. I wasn't, so that was a needless worry, but my heart goes out to all those who do have late surgeries.

@firstx1017 my own concern about skiing on anything, and snowboarding, (neither of which I have ever done, nor intend to do; I am a happy bellyflopper on a sled!) would be a freak accident that dislocated my hip, which I understand hurts a little... But as for falls themselves, I have been the queen of falling since my first hip, falling directly on it, hard, twice from a height, (moving treadmill and raised hydraulic ramp of box truck) several times starting at 8 months out. No ill effects to the hip whatsoever. Many other parts of me were unhappy, but the hip sailed through. I am waiting for this new one to "set" before I contemplate doing stupid things again... you are young, very strong, and will know exactly when the right time is for you to have a hip done.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  15. Strod

Strod

Waking up from anaesthesia? Avoiding MRSA and/or sepsis etc? :beg:

That the procedure actually works, enabling me to resume an active existence from this semi sedentary hell? :running::upright::tennis:

• Agree Agree x 1