THR what is wrong with my progress?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanson, I want to give you hope because I know you must be so scared. You are 5 months out from surgery. You are being treated and no matter what happens, you are young and your bone stock on your hip and femur strong.
These things will help you fight this if you do have an infection.
Stay strong and know that we care about you.

Dear thanson1964 Hi I've been wondering how you are doing and if you have any news? Did you see your surgeon? I hope that things are getting sorted out for you ---the worst is not knowing and wondering and worrying. Please let us know as soon as you're able to. Take care! Everyone here is thinking of you and wishing you the best.

thanson1964 I just found your thread and I also have been dealing with an infection...........there was a time I was in deep despair .....I understand your frustration...all I can say is hang in there...take one day...one hour...one moment at a time. Things will get better.

ByGosh I dont want to take over this thread....I am doing a little better each day...check out my thread...thanks for asking. :)

hospital pic leg width diff april 2013.jpg
C:\Users\Teresa\Pictures\hospital pic leg width diff april 2013.jpg
oh, thank you everyone for your support and encouragement. It all means so very much to me. I am sorry I haven't updated sooner. Been dealing with so much, as you can probably imagine. I was discharged from the hospital after 9 days of IV antibiotics. They sent me home with oral antibiotics and a drain in place. I had the drain removed yesterday and I feel very good. They are hoping that I will not actually have to have any further surgeries. I am not out of the woods yet, but I am looking really good. As far as my bone scan results testing positive for septic hip, they cannot explain why the fluid they aspirated out of my hip was not infectious. It's a God thing...the power of prayer. I know there are medical explanations as well, such as inflammation, my body's struggle to accept the prosthesis, the sarcoma measured 16"x3" x 2" so the pressure from that could've caused the tagged white blood cells to migrate to my hip joint. I don't know, but I do know that my leg has the least amount of swelling and pain now since my surgery in November. I am so relieved to finally have some relief from that intense pain. I still have nerve pain and I will most likely forever. I also still have the deep-seated pain in my hip joint and cannot walk too far without cane, however; I feel that it is getting better. I look back at the pics from my hospital stay 2 weeks ago and the incision sight and my entire left leg look so horrible. The Left leg was completely swollen and starting to look grey. I am so thankful for modern medicine and God's ability to heal and comfort.
Now it is a waiting game, from this point I just have to make sure I don't develop any more symptoms of any further infection and hopefully the nerve ending will grow the neuroma necessary to relieve this nerve pain. I am feeling a lot more confidence in this surgeon than in surgeon #1. Thanks again for all of your support.

thanson1964 Such great news! Everyone will be happy to hear that you're doing better. My goodness, you've been through alot, poor thing. But it sounds like the worst is over for you. I'm relieved that you feel better about this surgeon, too. It does seem that he paid more attention to you and your symptoms.
Congratulations on being back home, too. It all sounds so much better for you, and no more surgery most likely. Wow! Good for you! Hope it just gets better and better. :)

thanson1964 Glad to hear you are at home..I also was hospitalized with IV antibiotics and discharged with a drain...Once it was removed I felt like a new person. I took pictures of my leg while hosptialized and look at them now....I must have been in some sort of shock to not have seen then what I can see now in those pics. I am playing the waiting game to.....and praying that this choice of treatment will be successful. Good luck and hang in there....you are not alone.

Hanson, I'm relieved you're feeling better, and more positive about outcomes. Sounds like it's still a struggle ahead, but one you (and your doctor) have a handle on. Keep on moving forward, and reclaim your life. :)

Sharon

hello all. I have never received any resolution for my deep hip pain. My new ortho doc tried a number of tests and couldn't find anything. However; the bonescan is still coming back abnormal. They even did a bone aspiration, that was pleasant. I now have a PICC line in and i have been on a heavy dose of Ceftriaxone for 3 weeks and have 3 weeks to go. I have noticed an improvement. I requested that they send my blood off to be analyzed for metal sensitivity, with much resistance they agreed. After paying a hefty fee out of my own pocket, I have finally received the results for the metal allergy testing. I tested "highly reactive" for nickel allergies. I have never had a skin reaction from wearing jewelry or anything. I am hoping this will be the answers to my unexplained pain. I have snooped around on this forum and on the internet and it would seem that they will have to replace my metal on metal prosthesis. Anyone? Also, does anyone out there know if the cobalt poisoning that I hear of is related to Nickel allergies?

So to hear about all you have been going through. I'm not sure about the medical end of this but hopefully Josephine or one of the others will be able to. It certainly sounds like the metal may be the issue. Just know that we are all pulling for you and you will find tons of support here.
Dee

Hi thanson1964. I am a newbie here and your story sounds like all of our worst nightmares! I am so sorry for what you have gone through. I pray that you will find skilled physicians to help you heal. Are you in a large metropolitan area with access to multiple docs with expertise in this area?

So sorry you are going through all this thanson1964! I am sure Jo will be along soon to give you advice. What does your surgeon say about the metal allergy?

So sorry, but fingers crossed this is the start of the resolution to 5 months of pain and worry. Hope you carry on to post and get support from all our well wishes and hope to see you through this. Xx

Also, does anyone out there know if the cobalt poisoning that I hear of is related to Nickel allergies?
Nickel is one of a triad of metals, iron, nickel and cobalt, so yes, very much it is related but it matters not if you have never had skin reactions.

Nickel is one of a triad of metals, iron, nickel and cobalt, so yes, very much it is related but it matters not if you have never had skin reactions.

Josephine, I tested highly allergic to Nickel in the blood test that I had done. So I do have an allergy to nickel, quite a predominant one. I also tested positive for being slightly allergic to vanadium and zirconium. I have had nothing but problems since I had my THR in November. I am having a hard time finding a lot of information about nickel allergies and short term and long term affects on my health. I have been hospitalized with tremendous swelling and I had a lot of fluid in my actual hip joint, but they did find any infection in the hip itself. I do antibiotics and the swelling goes down, but it always comes back. I have tremendous pain constantly. Yet, I now have a doctor that still wants to do another hip aspiration and some cortisone shots before he does revision surgery, why????

I am going to get my metal ions in my blood tested next. I want some peace of mind.

Note: I'm going to tag Josephine so that she can respond to your question and the one Barbie has in her post below. .....Jamie

Thanson, if you have a revision, what prosthetic would you be getting. Isn't zirconium what the ceramic prosthetics are made from?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• benne68
    Staff member since February 4, 2022
  • Pumpkin
    Staff member since March 26, 2015
  • Hip4life
    Staff member since January 6, 2022

Forum statistics

Threads