What is too young? and why do they keep saying this?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi, @Breeze! I don't regret the surgery at all, but recovery has been a little rougher than I expected. I'm at about five weeks out and the knee is still swollen and stiff and I don't have much bend. I think the trick (as I'm learning from all of the great advice on this site!) is to keep your expectations realistic and to be patient and kind to yourself--lots of rest, elevating, and ice. But...even with the swelling and stiffness, the knee is already so much more stable than it was!! Good luck!

Thank you! I am preparing myself as I know it will be done at some point. I broke my hip a year ago (my bad knee gave out) and now my knee is also affecting my hip. I live in Canada so I'll be on a wait list.

That is great about the stability! And, an excellent reminder about patience. I will need that!

Just rode second stage Tour of Yorkshire it was on my trainer though BUT i could not have done this before tkr.Age is no excuse if you need new knee get it done and get on with life.I will be having right knee done later so my be able to ride all 3 stages next year.I will have summer in my caravan first though.

Age really shouldn't be a consideration at all. If your knee needs replacing, it should be done, whether you are nine or ninety.

I'm 53 and have just been approved for a knee replacement that I've needed for more than 10years! Now I'm in so much daily pain, it's unbearable. I did everything the doctors asked, including getting weight loss surgery to lose weight so I could qualify. Doc still wants me to lose another 10 pounds. The only thing I haven't done is get old! I work as an elementary school principal, so I'm up and running all the t Ike. Every step is agony. My other knee is also bad. I think if I could have had the TKR sooner, I would still have one fairly good knee.

I was made to wait for 9 years because my surgeon at that time said I was "too young" and I didn't know any better. Those 9 years were long and painful and my leg deteriorated until I became almost housebound.

I know better now.

Oh good grief with the fat shaming. I'm sorry they're putting so much pressure on you. 10 lbs isn't going to make or break this surgery. I hope you can finally get some relief. I imagine not being in daily debilitating pain will make it much easier to get that extra weight off. Focus now on becoming the strongest you that you can be leading into surgery - especially those core/upper body muscles to help with lifting yourself up when the leg doesn't work. I did lots of yoga leading up to surgery and I can tell it's helped my recovery.

10 lbs?! That is ridiculous!! And age? Ugh- the doc knew I needed knee replacement 8 years ago but wouldn't do it. I'm 49 now and after my knee dislocated 2 times in an hour did they finally say we needed to quit messing around. I'm a teacher, so I know all too well how much it hurts standing on those hard school floors all day.

Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member