What is the life of a ceramic on highly crosslinked polyethelene type of hip??

Status
Not open for further replies.

srikrocks

Country
United States United States
I just want to know what is the life of a ceramic on highly crosslinked polyethylene type of hips?? As this type of replacement is a bit new nobody know exact life.
What did your doc tell abt its life??

In general a metal on metal type of replacement wud be arnd 15 yrs...

That is what I have , my doc last week said he hopes it outlasts me. I am 52 and very active.
judy

Ceramic hips are not really that new. They've been around for about 15-20 years to my certain knowledge. And longevity is not a fact, it's just a prediction as different people will place different demands on their new joints.

However, this is the comment I put in a How to choose a surgeon and a prosthesis in the Information Centre.

As for the longevity of the prostheses, official line is 10-15 years, professionals reckon it to be 15-20. Statistics show it to be approaching 20-25 and maybe even more. There are many, many people walking around now, living good, productive and happy lives who had their replacements done in the 60s and 70s! There is a news report at the head of the hip forum, a lady had hers done in 1966! See 42 years life span for a hip replacement!!

I fully expect in the next few years to hear of patients having their replacements for 50+ years or even more.

20 years or so, I seem to remember, but your mileage may vary :) I intend to look after mine Very well, so am aiming for longer :)

I have that type also. They usually choose ceramic for younger patients, I always thought it was because it lasts longer and can endure more activity-----I hope so. But I find myself being extra careful to avoid impact on the joint anyway..... it can't hurt to be more careful.

Hop

I have that type as well and my consultant told me that the part that would most likely be the one to fail is the polythene cup as it starts to wear, but that so many improvements have been made to the polythene that this could easily outlast me anyway. Therefore that means the ceramic ball is even longer lasting. I am just 50 so fingers crossed for a very long and active life with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Pumpkin
    Staff member since March 26, 2015
  • mendogal
    Staff member since November 10, 2023
  • Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018
  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017