Lounge Doctor

THR What is “normal” with recovery?

Heb719

Country
United States United States
Hi everyone! I’m new here and have lots of questions.

A little back story about my anterior THR. I had it done on 1/11/22 and immediately my pain was gone. It was awesome. Then on 1/12 I was sitting on a chair outside watching my kids play when my hip dislocated (see attached photo). I had a closed reduction yesterday 1/13 and it was successful but now I’m scared to do anything.
They told me to postpone PT until after my 2 week post op check up when originally I was supposed to start after 3 days. It’s been a wild ride.

So for questions, what discomfort is “normal?” Is pressure in the groin area normal? How did walking feel in the first few days post op?
Any one else dislocate early on?
Any input is greatly appreciated!

Attachments

Eman85

supremo
Country
I think I can say that what you've experienced is not NORMAL!! We are all generally given the info about dislocation risk but thankfully few of us actually dislocate. There have been members that dislocated as early as in the hospital. You can search and find others that have dislocated to see how their recovery was after that happened.

djklaugh

FORUM ADVISOR
Forum Advisor
Country
@Heb719 Welcome to BoneSmart! :welome: Oh ouch! I am so sorry you had the dislocation - yes it does happen occasionally and does happen so close to the original replacement surgery. I can certainly understand your concerns about moving too suddenly. Hips really do not need a lot of physical therapy - walking is usually the best and only exercise you need.

Pressure in the groin area is quite common after hip replacement and usually goes away fairly quickly.

Layla

SENIOR FORUM ADVISOR
Country
Welcome to BoneSmart. Thanks for joining us!
I’m really sorry you had such a frightening experience so soon after surgery. The fact that you suffered a dislocation within a day of surgery while sitting down is puzzling. I’m curious what your surgeon had to say about this. It‘s understandable that you’re feeling apprehensive. Try not to worry about delaying PT. If anything, I think I’d skip PT all together as it’s not really necessary for recovery. Walking is the best exercise, but not to excess.

Discomfort is normal this early on. Hopefully it’s controlled well enough with meds that you’re able to rest comfortably and stay relatively mobile. I’d question pain that is unrelenting or escalating in intensity. Otherwise, ice frequently, stay hydrated, get adequate rest and don’t overdo the activity.

I’ll leave our Recovery Guidelines below. Shop back with questions and we’ll do our best to advise.

Wishing you comfort as you begin your healing journey. :)

As you begin healing, please keep in mind that each recovery is unique. While the BoneSmart philosophy successfully works for many, there will be exceptions. Between the recommendations found here, your surgeon's recovery protocol and any physical therapy you may engage in, the key is to find what works best for you.

Hip Recovery: The Guidelines
1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now, they are almost certainly temporary

2. Control discomfort:
rest
ice
take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)​

3. Do what you want to do BUT
a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you
b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.

4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of these

5. Here is a week-by-week guide

6. Access to these pages on the website

Pain management and the pain chart
Healing: how long does it take?
Chart representation of THR recovery

Dislocation risk and 90 degree rule
Energy drain for THRs
Pain and swelling control: elevation is the key
Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it
Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

BIG TIP: Hips actually don't need any exercise to get better. They do a pretty good job of it all on their own if given half a chance. Trouble is, people don't give them a chance and end up with all sorts of aches and pains and sore spots. All they need is the best therapy which is walking and even then not to excess.

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery.

While members may create as many threads as they like in a majority of BoneSmart's forums, we ask the at each member have only one recovery thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review history before providing advice.

Layla

SENIOR FORUM ADVISOR
Country
Any one else dislocate early on?
One last thing, If you type Dislocation into the SEARCH located at the top right of the page threads will pop up where dislocation was mentioned.

Hip4life

Forum Advisor
Country
Welcome to the BoneSmart family! I’m so sorry you had a dislocation. It’s something we’re all warned about and afraid of but cannot be completely guaranteed won’t happen. All you can do is strictly follow any post op instructions your surgeon and team has given you and keep them informed if you have unusual or severe pain or inability to bear weight.
You can expect to have some stiffness and some limited range of motion at the beginning of your recovery when walking and doing your activities of daily living. Some pain/discomfort is common and normal. Keeping ahead of that pain is key by icing, elevating and a regular routine of prescribed or OTC pain meds. The guidelines that @Layla left for you are very informative. Healing blessings to you as you move into your recovery phase and prayers for no more dislocations. Please keep us posted on your progress.

ljpviper

Country
Very odd you had a dislocation with anterior surgery. That’s one of the selling points of that technique. Very curious what the surgeon will say.

New

OneStep App

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
modcons
Recent bookmarks

Top Bottom