Lounge Doctor

Bilateral TKR What if you don't have a "good" knee?

Oregon mom

Country
United States United States
As I prepare mentally and physically for bilateral total knee replacement, I keep seeing instructions, even from my hospital, on how to do things that start with "your good" or not operated on side. "Place your good side in front of you for support, then..." "Use your unoperated side to help your operated side..."
Is a BTKR so modern that the literature hasn't caught up? And what is a person with bilateral knees to do with cars and toilets and etc?

Pumpkln

Country
Oregon mom,
PT will work with you before you go home and show you how to navigate with BTKR.
Here is a link to members who have had BTKR's. BTKR Members

BTKR has been around for 30+ years, the literature is for one, as it is most common.

Roy Gardiner

Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
And what is a person with bilateral knees to do with cars and toilets and etc?
you will get help in the hospital for moving around. You will need crutches or a walker for some time post-op.

For your toilet it would be good to get a 'riser', so that you sit much higher. Handgrips in the wall would help getting up and down, though I found I didn't need them.

In a car, the best thing is to sit in the back, with your legs stretched out across the car. You will use your arms a lot getting in and out. If you have a partner then you can engage in scenes of unmatched dignity and decorum. You get a plastic bin liner, sit on it in the car, and have your partner drag you in from the other side of the car; getting out is even better, partner and you are face-to-face whilst you are dragged forward to the door.

At home, you will do a great deal of sitting, relaxing, watching telly etc. Your plan should be to do nothing for 2 weeks to a month, maybe more.

Sounds awful, right?

Pre-op pain is bad, crippling, horrible, demoralising, and only gets worse. Post-op pain can be as bad, sometimes in the first days. Your body is shocked -- someone has attacked you with saws, hammers and other assorted weaponry, cut bits of you off and hammered foreign material in. It's no wonder it's a bit discommoded!!

But the key fact is that the pain gets BETTER.

One's condition post-op is sometimes worse than pre-op for a few days or up to a MONTH later. One has to learn to roll with the punches, to relax, take medication, let the body do its thing and heal. It will do this all on its own. PT can be helpful with this process, but the key element is time.

But it will happen. Millions of TKRs are done every year; this wouldn't be so if it didn't work.

My life is hugely, incomparably better than pre-surgery.

OP
OP
O

Oregon mom

Country
Thank you SO MUCH! I am so appreciative for the informative, supportive frankness!
I'm so excited to have my life back, even partially. This has been so helpful.

New

Active Antibacterial

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Johnsmith33
Recent bookmarks

Top Bottom