What if it's not the hip

Cecropia

graduate
Country
United States United States
Hi, I'm always very active, walking, kayaking, roller skating, elliptical and mini trampoline, plus always outside working, I'm a Tom, boy sort of, love challenge without asking hubby for help.

My pain first started in my left thigh when walking my daily 3 miles over last summer. It progressively got worse over several months. Now I have shooting pains down my front thigh and clicking when I walk. Walking is not going well anymore it seems I have pain everywhere around the front of left leg.

Finally had xray and MRI. My orthopedic surgeon says the small labrum tear should not be causing this much pain so he thinks it's the arthritis. I've been in misery for 9 weeks now and he is finally going to do THR. But he tried to save my hip first by resting and ibuprofen. That did not work. MRI did not show hip impingement or soft tissue damage.

How can arthritis cause this much pain. One year ago I was fine, no pain with any activity. So now I'm scared because of his uncertainty as where exactly the pain is coming from though he's done many leg tests and such, plus imagining.

What if, after the implant, I still have the same pain and it was not the hip?

He has 30 years experience with hip replacement and uses the oxinium implant now as I also have nickle allergy. I want the surgery, I'm now using crutches, just hope it's the hip.

Anybody else have surgery before bone on bone. I don't have that. I have some spurs and some cartilage damage.

Would appreciate some other people's experience with not having a set in stone diagnosis for THR but so much pain. Can't sleep at night or roll over in bed. The pain shoots me in the leg. I can sometimes sleep on my back and right side but turning over to change positions nearly makes me cry out.

Thank you for anyone else in this situation who replies.

@Cecropia Welcome to BoneSmart! If your surgeon says you have arthritis then THR is really the only remedy. Arthritis can and does cause debilitating pain. And it takes over very quickly. One day it is a nagging discomfort that you can tolerate. The next day you need crutches.
Anybody else have surgery before bone on bone.
My right hip was not bone on bone pre-op. It's really best to get the replacement done as soon as you can. Limping around only impacts other areas and makes recovery more complicated.

Spurs, cartilage damage and clicking hip - all point directly to needing THR. The good news is all that pain and discomfort will be gone and you will get back to doing all the sporty activities you love.

Thank you Jaycey. So glad I found this site, I am enjoying reading many other people's threads. It's also another way to pass time. My surgery is set for May, but I don't have the exact day yet....:tiredwheel:

Waiting is the toughest part of this journey. Stick with us! We are with you all the way.

I had bilateral replacement on Monday. My right hip was bone on bone. My left was not- still lots of cartilage. And yet, most of my pain was in my left hip! That’s why I opted for both. Xrays and MRIs tell some of the story.. but your body is really telling the whole story!

Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum

How can arthritis cause this much pain.
Have you ever had a bad tooth? That causes pain like you wouldn't believe. And any type of arthritis is much the same. People have been confined to a wheelchair with arthritis. It CAN cause that much pain, trust me! And from all you've said, you definitely need a replacement and I can promise you, you will wake up with a great big smile on your face when you notice the absence of the pain! I've seen that several hundred times in my career!

Good advice, thanks. And Jenny bilateral, people are so brave here. My doctor just ordered an EMG of my lower left leg because of the sharp electrical shock feeling I get if I step wrong, or trying to roll over in bed, another precaution I assume. I'm trying to use crutches but bad at it and very awkward. All this sitting and resting is making my buns hurt and appointments are usually 2 weeks apart. I hope I get the final go ahead soon, then I feel the waiting will get on...for a clear reason, I could deal with that better. :what:

My hip has been hurting on and off for two years but getting more on than off by the day but I recently had almost three weeks mostly pain free, so much so that I almost decided to come off the waiting list when I had my pre-op. Fortunately the pain came back with a vengeance and I had my pre-op yesterday. Pain is funny, at the moment it hurts from my buttock to my foot with a dull nagging ache punctuated with severe stabbing pains in the groin but it is easy to forget about pain when it is not there hence my thoughts that I did not need surgery. I believe this ability to put the dreadfulness of pain so easily from our minds is a human survival strategy ultimately expressed in women that have more than one child.

Just a thought - have you seen another orthopedic surgeon? When I was having back problems I went to 3 different orthopedic surgeons, and none could help me. I was told to live with it as long as possible, another one totally dropped the ball as far as getting me a mri. The 3rd just wanted to do cortisone shots. The 4th Dr. I saw took one look at my imagery, and said i can fix this. And he did. That was a very eye opening experience.

Josephine, the crutches, I tend to bend forward whilst using them, then it still hurts in the underwear crease in front. They are adjustable, but I try to stand tall, but I can't lift my leg too far up so still have to put some weight on it.

Thankfully live in small ranch style house. Husband very helpful, although he has Non Hodgkin's Lymphoma, but on watch-and-wait as no aggressive symptoms that require treatment yet. I need to get better so I'll be able to help him in the future.

The appointments. First was to check me out. Then waited 2 weeks for an open MRI, but ended up using a closed MRI to get in sooner. Then follow up appt was one week after. Then he wanted to give it 2 weeks more to see if an injection into the joint might calm the arthritis down. So then I called about moving up the appointment and he ordered a EMG which is next week. He works independently through a hospital for hip surgery.

Very few surgeons seem trained or just do not use the Oxinium implants in my area, which he does use, but the main hospital he works in will not use the Oxinium as a first choice, only for revision or special reasons, so he does hip replacement in another hospital which gave him full discretion to use his preferred hip and he pretty much only uses the Oxinium as he believes it rivals all others.

He comes highly recommended and also does knees. I do like him and trust him. I think he wants to be certain there are no other underlying problems before ordering the replacement.

Trusting your surgeon is big. My appointments are spread out due to distance. My surgeon is in city 110 miles north of me. Because alot people travel they get alot done with every appointment. The process of getting to the prize is tiring when you're in horrible pain. I was able to get some tramadol 50mg from surgeon to help me keep working till lefty is replaced with new hip that won't cuss like a sailor. I use my cane now when not working. I didn't use crutches on first round, I used a cane. It would seem if you're leaning forward on crutches that would be painful under arms. Maybe there's a way for someone to watch how you operate crutches and make some adjustments on crutches and give you suggestions to take pressure off where you need to. Have a happy Easter. I'm pullin for ya we're all in this together.:puppysmooze:

Thanks Jules. I'm only using Tylenol arthritis and Motrin. As long as I'm sitting, not bad, but so weird to now be at the place of only hobbling between rooms. My house is small, thank goodness. I keep asking myself how did this happen when I was fine a year ago. Humm. Josephine and others gave good reasons, but I still feel like this can't be happening to me.... There must be another reason. lol. Probably NOT! Happy Easter! I would like better pain control, but so far I'm holding out, and surgeon wants me to not take hydrocodone yet, but I do know friends who took that right up till surgery. Oh well.....hanging in there for now....

surgeon wants me to not take hydrocodone yet,
I was given a prescription (as well as a refill) of hydrocodone ad I was waiting for surgery. My pain was so horrid I really could no longer function. Interestingly enough, it didn't do much to touch the bone on bone pain I had. Some days, it took the edge off. Some days it didn't. There is really nothing that helps that pain. I honestly got more comfort from my heating pad than meds. The point of this rambling post is to say, don't be in a big hurry for the strong stuff. It may or may not make a difference. Hang in there!

As @SarahBee said tramadol doesn't work on bone pain, however it helps with the rest of it including back pain. I'm able to get routine things done with less pain. I do pay dearly in the evening, however I'm able to do what needs done.

Just to clarify, oxycodone is not the same as tramadol.

I think you are right Sarah. I take everyone's comments very seriously as experience like yours is genuine, as you've all been there...♥️

I keep asking myself how did this happen when I was fine a year ago.
Unfortunately hips can go from tolerable to horrid very quickly! Arthritis is not kind. Best to get that hip replaced soon so as not to impact other areas of your body. It is very hard to break bad habits.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• benne68
    Staff member since February 4, 2022
  • Pumpkin
    Staff member since March 26, 2015
  • djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member