TKR What I did on my summer vacation

Happy enough - for the most part. I’ve lost some of the bending over the last two months due to having back surgery and being restricted in exercising and stretching. I hope to get it back soon now that I’m allowed to start stretching again. Just don’t understand the atrophy if I’m able to move rather well. Question is not about the PT, but rather is the atrophy really significant and something to worry about.

Question for those in the medical field:
I had my three year checkup and the doctor pretty much just kept telling me my thigh had atrophied, and if he measured it, he could prove it was 2-3 centimeters(?) smaller. Anyway he tells me this every year, but this time he insisted I wasn’t using my leg, and I insisted I was. So he prescribed physical therapy. Is this normal for a three year checkup? I told him I don’t see the atrophy.
Are you happy with your outcome? Can you do the things you need-want to do?
Happy enough - for the most part. I’ve lost some of the bending over the last two months due to having back surgery and being restricted in exercising and stretching. I hope to get it back soon now that I’m allowed to start stretching again. Just don’t understand the atrophy if I’m able to move rather well. Question is not about the PT, but rather is the atrophy really significant and something to worry about.
I’ll tag @Josephine for you.

If you are doing the things you need and want to do I don't see the problem with your quads. I think your doctor is being way too picky. Myself, I wouldn't go and I would just enjoy my new knee!

I'd really like to offer you some structured advice but in order to do that, I also need to ask you some questions. Are you willing for me to do that?

Ok. I just don’t see the atrophy in my leg. I can understand a professional would, but I’ve also had nerve damage from my back, and maybe it’s not that important since I walk all over with it.

I think a lot will come back to: can you do your daily activities? When you do do the stairs is it hard to do with that leg?
My quads were weak before and just after surgery, but just by doing things over the months the strength started increasing.
Unless it's holding you back from doing things, I'm not sure what the concern is, but I'm no physician.

That’s what I thought. Don’t know why he’s putting so much emphasis on the atrophy. I’ve been told the atrophy in my hands cannot be fixed, but surgery would help keep them from atrophying more. Doctor just really did not seem to be himself.

Ok. I just don’t see the atrophy in my leg. I can understand a professional would, but I’ve also had nerve damage from my back, and maybe it’s not that important since I walk all over with it.
Have you measured both legs? That will tell you if your doctor is right.
However, even if there is some difference, since your leg is functioning well it seems to me it's not worth worrying about.

Thanks Celle- that’s what I’m thinking. Just don’t understand why he was so adamant about it.

Four years out and doing fine. Doctor said “see you next year, and it will be 5 years!” Knee gives out some on occasion, but otherwise is fine. I sometimes work it hard.

How good to hear from you again! It sounds like you are doing just fine. Time sure does fly, doesn't it? You and I were right there together in our recoveries. Mine is doing pretty well, too, though sometimes it gets fussy. Still, it was worth it!

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• benne68
    Staff member since February 4, 2022
  • Pumpkin
    Staff member since March 26, 2015
  • Jamie
    Staff member since Feb, 2009
  • mendogal
    Staff member since November 10, 2023

Forum statistics

Threads