Hinged Joint What hinged TKR did you get?

Newbai

Country
United States United States
Hi, I am scheduled in three weeks for a hinged TKR on my right leg.
Some background on how I got to this point. I am 46 yrs old and had a fall accident that crushed my right tibia plateau and tore all the ligaments on the lateral side of the knee. The orthopedic trauma surgeon tried his best to put the tibia back together… had two metal plates with 15 screws along with loads of bone cement in there. After about 9 months, I had all the metal hardware removed in preparation for liagments reconstruction surgery. However, because of the crushed tibia, my leg alignment is totally screwed up, leading to a large varus towards the inside (a really bad bow leg). Pretty much every orthopedic sugeons I saw said if they perform the ligaments reconstruction, the ligaments will stretch out and I will be back where I am currently. The leg is very unstable, I am using a brace and walking with a cane. So my options to fix the varus (alignment) were osteotomy (cut tibia bone, stick a wedge in to fix the alignment) or a hinged TKR. Osteotomy is out because of where the cut will be made is where I crushed my tibia and the bone quality will be suspect. So I am going to have the hinged TKR. The surgeon doing it said he will be using Smith & Nephew LEGION HK prosthesis.
Has anyone got this model?
What model (company) hinged TKR did you get, how is the performance and how long do you have it?
Thanks

Last edited:
Hi and Welcome!

One of our staff members has a hinged knee and is very happy with it.

The brand of implant is not important, it’s the experience of your surgeon that is the most important aspect for a good outcome.

I just had the hinged knee replacement surgery on June 28 . I was battling an infection in my TKR done January 2018 , since August of last year . On April 19 they took out the knee hardware and put in a spacer with antibiotic , l went home with a pic line and IV for 6 weeks . I finally got the whole thing put back together again June 28 , had no idea that they were going to use the hinged replacement , never heard of it . I was told that it’s for complicated cases , and unstable knees . During the coarse of the 6 weeks IV and leg immobilized , the spacer dislocated , and l had to go back to surgery to fix it , that’s why they said it was unstable . One good thing I learned is with the hinged replacement you do not need PT . My orthopedic surgeon says it will bend really easy . For the first 3 weeks after the last surgery I have a leg brace , need to keep it straight . That’s to let it heal straight , because the knee tends to want to bend slightly . So seems like it is kind of opposite of the regular knee replacement that PT works so hard to bend. I am looking for any information about the hinged knee replacement so will watch this for updates and can add more info here as l get it , since l am only 11 days out of the surgery . My surgeon really gave me li information . I go back in about 12 days to have the staples removed .

@LaJudes I am scheduled for surgery on this coming Tuesday. I was hoping to get more responses on hinged knee replacement but I guess it’s not as common as regular knee replacement.

I read my operative report , it seems the surgeon put in the regular type but he didn’t like the stability of it , stated it wanted to move back where it had dislocated, so he went to the hinged replacement , they always use a “trial” piece for fitting before the real thing is put in .The name of it is in the report , l will put it on here tomorrow , need my laptop for that . I questioned them about it and saw my X-rays today , the hinge part seems really small , like a little finger . They said I won’t need PT , but are having me meet with one in 2 weeks when I get my staples out . Pt will go over the difference with the hinged knee . I am still not to bend it and have a brace because of my staples, and knee cut open twice close together . They had me bend it a little for the X-ray . It barely hurt at all .

Hi, I am scheduled in three weeks for a hinged TKR on my right leg.
Some background on how I got to this point. I am 46 yrs old and had a fall accident that crushed my right tibia plateau and tore all the ligaments on the lateral side of the knee. The orthopedic trauma surgeon tried his best to put the tibia back together… had two metal plates with 15 screws along with loads of bone cement in there. After about 9 months, I had all the metal hardware removed in preparation for liagments reconstruction surgery. However, because of the crushed tibia, my leg alignment is totally screwed up, leading to a large varus towards the inside (a really bad bow leg). Pretty much every orthopedic sugeons I saw said if they perform the ligaments reconstruction, the ligaments will stretch out and I will be back where I am currently. The leg is very unstable, I am using a brace and walking with a cane. So my options to fix the varus (alignment) were osteotomy (cut tibia bone, stick a wedge in to fix the alignment) or a hinged TKR. Osteotomy is out because of where the cut will be made is where I crushed my tibia and the bone quality will be suspect. So I am going to have the hinged TKR. The surgeon doing it said he will be using Smith & Nephew LEGION HK prosthesis.
Has anyone got this model?
What model (company) hinged TKR did you get, how is the performance and how long do you have it?
Thanks
Sorry Newbai, just read your story above

I have the name of the Hinged knee replacement , the surgeon used a DePay small hinged femoral component with a 40-mm metaphysical sleeve & 18x 115 mm press fit stem . Liner- 14mm thick hinged rotating platform polyethylene liner with locking pin . I just copied all of it , but looks like the actual name is DePay . I haven’t researched it yet , so know very little about it , but saw it in my X-ray yesterday . Will continue to update in my recovery thread . I am 2 weeks out now , no pain at all . Can put weight on it , no bending yet till the wound healing is completed . Good luck on the surgery !

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Mojo333
    Staff member since August 15, 2017
  • benne68
    Staff member since February 4, 2022
  • Jamie
    Staff member since Feb, 2009
  • Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018

Forum statistics

Threads