Watch 2019 JRAD Videos

What exactly does 'weight bearing as tolerated' mean?

Status
Not open for further replies.

kjt

senior
Does this mean to go w/ some discomfort as long as it isnt bad and to build up over time?

Or not to get to the point of discomfort?

Or what?

ronbrown9681

It is impossible to not have some discomfort during rehab so push it as far as you can and then back off. I am over four months out and still have some discomfort. It takes awhile for the muscles, nerves, etc. to get back to normal. You can't wait or your rehab will go on forever.
I progressed from a walker (about a month) to two crutches to one crutch to a cane. My over the hump date was at about two months. At that point, it hurt to walk unaided but you have to keep keeping on.
Do you rehab exercises no matter what.
I am up to 15 minutes on the exercise bike, 10 minutes of stretching and 20 minutes on the treadmill a day plus an hour of water exercise at the local Y every day. Each day gets better.
For me, after the first week or two, Tylenol took the edge off and kept me going.
Good luck, it will get better.

Jamie

ADMINISTRATOR
Senior Administrator
Country
United States United States
I'm not sure I understand what that means exactly. Perhaps it would be a good idea to call your surgeon's office and ask. You do want to follow their directions, but quite frankly....that is VERY vague!!!

Texas

alpha
i agree with Jamie I just walked on with till it really hurt I mean its gonna hurt but when you know and you will that you made yourself worse and you will suffer later you should stop .......I t will be uncomfortable but dont be in alot of pain..........Hope you feel better.............)

pilot1

graduate
Does this mean to go w/ some discomfort as long as it isnt bad and to build up over time?

Or not to get to the point of discomfort?

Or what?
Your doc has given you permission to bear weight as tolerated.. in other words you can bear weight that you can handle...
He is not restricting your weight bearing.. so he wants you to get going and walking as long as you can tolerate the discomfort...
I am at no weight bearing for 6 weeks uncemented..but took two steps with no pain at all by accident.. got out of bed and forgot I had surgery...
Half asleep. Double check with Doc but I think you are good to go unless you can not take the pain.

OP
OP
kjt

kjt

senior
right now that seems to be about 3/4 of my body weight...so guess i start there and try to ramp up. it gets better after Ive been walking a bit but the weather has been uncooperative. husband is driving me over to home depot for a "walk"....can anybody say "ulterior motive"?

Josephine

NURSE DIRECTOR EMERITUS
Nurse Director
Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
Correct, pilot. If the pain is tolerable ok - if you find yourself going "ouch" and catching your breath, that's not tolerable! Actually only you know what that point is.

OP
OP
kjt

kjt

senior
Thanks, Josephine....then I wont worry about 'sore', just about YEAGGH type of pain. Still trying to get the leg working correctly in the base case - knee is trying to cheat, I think.

ETA - put the glasses on and it is more like 50 - 60% right now...but it was so bad before surgery that it was only about 75%, so I guess I wont be concerned.

pkuznets

senior
Country
United States United States
Hi, I'm kinda like Pilot in that I am uncemented and went week by week with the walker from "toe touch" to 25% to 50% to 75% with a cane to 100% which was weight-bearing as tolerated. I am still going to PT several times a week and do exercises at home on alternate days, but my job also requires I walk from the car, across campus, up stairs, downstairs, and such.

My operated hip has gained strength slowly but steadily til now I barely even remember I've had a hip replacement! In fact, I actually misplaced my cane a few times--that's when I really knew I was through the tunnel! My gait is nearly normal, with NO trace of pain OR a limp! Seriously, this procedure and the recovery is more than amazing! For me, "as tolerated" meant more about testing the boundaries of the strength (stability) of my hip and operated leg than about pain. Ask your OS for your own peace of mind...I asked a LOT a questions both with my surgeon and more so with my physical therapists.
Take good care,
Patrikya

ajp

Good grief, I thought I knew the answer to that one, BUT...Twenty hours after surgery the PT "made" me use a walker (I wanted crutches). I asked how much weight I could place on the hip (I had a resurfacing at HSS) and was told "as tolerated". Well, twenty seconds or so later, he noticed me holding the walker several inches above the floor. I was told not to do that. I repeated the manuver an hour latter for the surgeon. He also told me not to do that as "you can wreak the thing". We then proceeded to have a discussion about weight bearing to tolerance. alan

ajp

Well, he never actually told me but it was sort of like "till you feel a bit of discomfort". I don't think my surgeon ever had someone so foolish as to "test it" less than a day later. The epidural with percocets and a real curiosity overcame the pain.

I think the best answer was given already, ask your OS. alan

tweedy57

It seems that every doc requires different restrictions. I have read of so many different requirements all through the bonesmart forums. I had no restrictions. Am an uncemented anterior TRH. Used the walker(1 1/2 weeks) then cane for several weeks after that. Had no severe PAIN-YIPES moments...just a moment or two of strange discomfort TWINGES...I took them as a warning to back off and back down. I figured if I could do want I was doing under the supervision of the PT then I could use that as a guide for daily activities. It all seems alittle iffy sometimes...that's why I love Bonesmart!!!!

OP
OP
kjt

kjt

senior
I think I'm going to ask for a scrip for PT a little earlier than we had talked about previously.

I was going to get one when I could get in the water, but would feel more comfortable working w/ a PT now, even. My only real restriction is no deep lunges...but I'm sure that there are still better ways and worse ways to be doing stuff....and guess which one I usually pick?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Decadeofbliss
Recent bookmarks

Top Bottom