TKR What did I get myself into?

Two days ago I spent 15 mins on the recumbent bike. Felt pretty good but since then I’m really suffering. Normal dull aches but also rather sharp pains on the anterior side. I also have a rather pronounced bump on the back of my knee and my knee swelled significantly.
This was obviously way too early to attempt this and you have angered your knee big time. It would have been better if you had started off with just a couple of minutes at first and then seen what happened later on. But, what's done is done. Now, is the time for the self-care program, icing, elevating, and resting. As for the bump on the back of your knee, more than likely it's a Baker's Cyst. Baker's Cyst Explained
I would think at 3 months I should be able to spend 15 mins easily pedalling a stationary bike? Will there ever be a time when mild exercise DOES NOT cause swelling or discomfort?
This is how I feel, (18 weeks post op) any small activity seems to cause debilitating swelling for days or weeks afterwards. I drove approx 80 miles over 2 days last week and my knee is so painful and swollen that my ROM is down to 90 and I cannot fully straighten my leg now. This means I cannot walk normally and causes me to stumble frequently. I have reintroduced 1-2 Tramadol per day, as well as Paracetamol, and I am thinking perhaps I should be using a walking stick again for walks outside. I have an old supportive knee cuff, would this make my muscles "lazy" if I used it regularly?

Last edited by a moderator:
Had my 12 week post appt today!! Seemed ok with where my ROM is even though still no full extension and 100 on flex. Apparently I have a Bakers Cyst behind my knee which will get ultrasounded soon. Also the spasms I’ve been experiencing for some time now and have shared in precious posts, is more than likely to be a pinching of one of the nerves as a result of the realignment to straighten my leg. MRI of my lumbar area forthcoming. BUT my new knee is structurally sound. I can do stairs easily, can play a bit of pickleball (not without a bit if swelling afterwards but worth it imo) and most of the pain is very mild. Am going on a dose of Meloxicam to help with everyday aches…the result of being 75 and active. I know I’ve got a ways to go but feeling pretty good this evening. And also learned if your scar is purple or red, it means your soft tissue is still healing! Will lighten as healing continues.

I have not heard of Meloxicam. Please let me know if it helps. I have overall mild knee pain but sometimes I get a deep throbbing pain on the left outside part of my knee. I wonder if it would help that.

Meloxicam
Meloxicam is an NSAID so be very careful and watch out for any side effects. Do not take any aspirin, or ibuprofen while taking it. Also, take it only with food.

And also learned if your scar is purple or red, it means your soft tissue is still healing! Will lighten as healing continues.
That's interesting. Very good to hear. My soft tissue still needs to heal a lot, and my scar is bright red. Very exciting!

I have been taking Meloxicam for over a year. It helps with my left knee which will be replaced this Fall, and also keeps with the very occasional twinge in my new knee. My doc thinks it's easier on the stomach than ibuprofen. I've had no issues with it.

And also learned if your scar is purple or red, it means your soft tissue is still healing! Will lighten as healing continues.
Agree. My surgeon also told me this.
He said the internal tissues will not be fully healed until the scar is silvery white and this can take well over a year.

I've been on Meloxicam for quite a few years now. At first I was taking 7.5 mg per day for arthritis (hands, knees, et al.). About a year ago, my PCP and I upped it to twice a day. I now know that its works as when I had my TKR I was told to stop it a few days prior to my operation and could not take after surgery as the OS wanted me to take Celebrex instead. I'm back on it and my hands don't hurt.

Happy Three Month Anniversary, Will!
It sounds like you had a reassuring visit with the surgeon and you're doing really well!
I bet you'll be enjoying many more games of Pickleball in the months to come.
Have a great Spring!
@WillB

That's interesting. Very good to hear. My soft tissue still needs to heal a lot, and my scar is bright red. Very exciting!

I have been taking Meloxicam for over a year. It helps with my left knee which will be replaced this Fall, and also keeps with the very occasional twinge in my new knee. My doc thinks it's easier on the stomach than ibuprofen. I've had no issues with it.
Just make sure your kidney function is good, ie a GFR above 60 or slightly below or do a 7.5mg vs 15

Happy Three Month Anniversary, Will!
It sounds like you had a reassuring visit with the surgeon and you're doing really well!
I bet you'll be enjoying many more games of Pickleball in the months to come.
Have a great Spring!
@WillB
Thank you Layla. Played 2 hours this morning. Knee felt pretty good but I’m sure will swell a little over night. Only playing 2 days a week.

You're welcome, Will! You're wise to take it slow and easy. If you're not already, you may want to do a little preventative icing tonight. :ice:Have a great rest of the week!
@WillB

I have not heard of Meloxicam. Please let me know if it helps. I have overall mild knee pain but sometimes I get a deep throbbing pain on the left outside part of my knee. I wonder if it would help that.
Was kn Maloxicam for quite sometime but you do need to monitor kidney function. BUT it really works for general every day pain that comes with getting older! Am back on a 7.5mg once a day. Expecting much less overall aches

I told my husband about meloxicam and how it was helping you and others, so he asked his doctor yesterday. As it turned out his doctor also takes the 7.5mg daily! My husband is going to give it a try. I couldn't take Celebrex so I don't think this would work for me. Thanks for the info!

I haven’t been online in awhile. I’m 11 weeks post revision op today. My knee looks beautiful, but is still swollen over patella. I still get swelling in shin at the end of the day. I’m resolved to several moths of this. It just takes time. I’m becoming patient !

Happy I ended formal PT early. At 5 weeks I had 0 degrees extension and 141 degrees flexion. That was enough.

Just returned from a week in Fla. I’m a long time road bike rider, and we have upright bikes at our condo. I was able to ride 4 times, with rest days in between. My challenge is my other knee, which is bone on bone and awaiting replacement on May 3. Still spending lots of time in bed because of that pain.

But I can see the light at the end of the tunnel. Two healthy knees will enable me to resume an active life by this summer.

Keep the faith.

Last edited by a moderator:
That all sounds amazing! Good luck for your new surgery.

My ultrasound on the knee showed nothing regarding a possible bakers cyst. Still awaiting MRI on my lumbar for possible issue with a little nerve issue.
But at 13 weeks now my knee is solid!! Almost 98% of the pain is gone! Sleeping normally now which is a HUGE achievement! Flex is excellent. Extension is still not 0 but presume it will improve over time. Playing pickleball 3 days a week but feel I could do more. I’m still a little stiff and swollen but feel great on the court!
For the team, I’m wondering if slight swelling will ever subside as long as I am continuing to push. And will my extension improve as well?
But, at 14 weeks I’m really good!!
To all those struggling, IT WILL GET BETTER!!

Yes, your swelling will reduce over time, as long as you are not causing excessive swelling on a regular basis. Extension will also improve. You are 14 weeks into a 52 week recovery, where you are now is not where you will end up!

Enjoy your pickleball 3 times a week, but maybe you should still wait a bit to play more often. Recovery is temporary, you’ll be able to play as much as you want, in the future.

You’re coming along great!

Yes, your swelling will reduce over time, as long as you are not causing excessive swelling on a regular basis. Extension will also improve. You are 14 weeks into a 52 week recovery, where you are now is not where you will end up!

Enjoy your pickleball 3 times a week, but maybe you should still wait a bit to play more often. Recovery is temporary, you’ll be able to play as much as you want, in the future.

You’re coming along great!
Thank you. I am dealing with what may be a sciatica issue running from upper thigh through my knee. Most noticeable when I stand up and there is a spasm feeling which lasts for a few seconds. My PT says it may be the result of not being at 0 on extension. Is this possible?? I feel it a bit if I try to fully extend my leg.

expand...
Thank you. I am dealing with what may be a sciatica issue running from upper thigh through my knee. Most noticeable when I stand up and there is a spasm feeling which lasts for a few seconds
I have has sciatica before my surgery and it is like electric shocks or like a really bad toothache pain.It goes down the path if the sciatic nerve in the back of your leg to your foot.
It is really horrible and I hope it isn't that but just a muscle spasm issue from exercises.
Talk to your GP. Pregabalin or gabapentin can help with nerve pain like sciatica.
Massage with a small spiky ball over the area can help for sciatica and muscle pain.

At 31/2 months I went back to PT for a few sessions because of a band of tightness across my upper knee cap area. Probably an issue with my lower quad! So 45 mins of strenous exercises to work the lower quad. Well today my knee feels as bad as it’s been for a month. My ROM is acceptable. My knee is strong enough to play pickleball 3 days a week but I’m done with PT! I do have an MRI to check my sciatic nerve. Not sure if that’s totally necessary but I am dealing with some spasms rinning from hip to knee. MRI is Monday. But ADL plus extra work/fun should be all the PT we need after 3 months IMO…

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011
  • Roy Gardiner
    Staff member since February, 23, 2013

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
JanieMarie