TKR What did I get myself into?

WillB, you are back in that ODIC, (overdid it club), again. Sometimes being too active too soon can cause setbacks in your recovery, which I think you're seeing right now. Take some time off and rest, ice, and elevate and you should feel better soon.

Will,
I didn't read through your entire thread, but I am wondering if you consulted with your surgeon to make sure he feels it safe you've returned to Pickleball this soon? I read online that most people will get back to playing Pickleball at 6 months post op, but it could take up to a year to fully regain the necessary strength and motor control to play your best Pickleball without any pain. I also read that knee strains are common when changing direction and or pivoting. While playing pickleball, you may find yourself changing directions or mostly pivoting during swinging. When pivoting too quickly, you can put repetitive strain on your knee, causing the tendons or muscles to become damaged or overworked. There is a lot of information online about returning to Pickleball post TKR, but it is important you FIRST get a nod from your surgeon. to return to the game, even though you described your current engagement as "light".

Also you asked about ROM which is difficult to judge because each individual's recovery is different and while Pickleball may eventually help increase your ROM, I don't feel you should be engaging while you're still dealing with pain and swelling. It's counterproductive to your recovery process if you're continually overdoing it and aggravating healing soft tissue. Hate to sound like a Debbie Downer, but you do want to get this right so you can return to the game in good form. Additionally in regard to your ROM, you're only a tad over two months post op. While your range of motion is currently limited, it will naturally increase as the swelling subsides and the pain eases. Your time on the Pickleball court could be prolonging the pain and swelling you mentioned then consequently the time it takes to increase your ROM.

As far as LDM, you may want to give it another try after finding someone with the right qualifications that comes highly recommended, I am not certain how you would go about that, but I am tagging my colleague @CricketHip to see if she can advise on that.

All in all, Will, I think you may be pushing it and hope that you can dial it back a bit and get most of your exercise through the activities of daily living at this point along with gentle PT, if you're still involved, and walking for exercise without overdoing it. In doing so, hopefully you will experience the Spring and Summer you're likely dreaming of.
A great rest of the week to you!
@WillB

WillB, you are back in that ODIC, (overdid it club), again. Sometimes being too active too soon can cause setbacks in your recovery, which I think you're seeing right now. Take some time off and rest, ice, and elevate and you should feel better soon.
So now at 10 weeks and with all the ups and downs, I pretty much understand how activities and PT sessions can influence how my recovery is going. My OS had no issue letting me fo back playing a little PB by 12 weeks. I just started a bit earlier and with ultimate caution. Avoiding those movements which potentially could set me back. And limiting to a few hours twice a week.
Had a PT session yesterday concentrating mostly on strength building. Therapist says I’m doing great and knows I’m hitting the court a little bit. But she is a bit concerned about my extension which isn’t at 0 yet. Subsequently, and for the first time, she did some pushing on my knee which was uncomfortable. As a result last nights sleep was poor and my knee is super stiff this morning. A lot of talk here about flexion but not so much about extension. I keep reminding myself it’s still early.

@WillB We have discussed the MLD a few times but if you want more insight on finding a good certified MLD therapist (CMLDT) just tag me or reply here on your thread.
For starters, looking for Manual Lymphatic Massage or MLD is better than LMD.. in fact, if you can give me an idea of what state you live in, I can look through the directory for CMLD therapists for you.

@WillB We have discussed the MLD a few times but if you want more insight on finding a good certified MLD therapist (CMLDT) just tag me or reply here on your thread.
For starters, looking for Manual Lymphatic Massage or MLD is better than LMD.. in fact, if you can give me an idea of what state you live in, I can look through the directory for CMLD therapists for you.
Thank you! I’m actually in Yuma AZ

WillB, it's your knee, your recovery, and your life. You know what your knee can and can't do. Enjoy those things that you are doing!

Well, apparently Yuma isn't teeming with MLD massage therapists. Not even within a 50 mile radius.

You could check with the nearby PT clinics, but if it's like it is here, in my location, they usually are booked heavily. I believe you are still going to PT so I would suggest you ask him/her? Maybe they have a colleague that can get you worked into their schedule.

@WillB

Frustrating Saturday. While I slept well fkr one of the rare times, my knee is more stiff than its been in a week or so. Wednesday was a PT session consisting of a lot of strength building using a leg weight and finally 10 mins or so of pushing down on my knee as my extension at 9 weeks is at 6. Therapist has been gentle up till now. Knee is now very stiff, sore and still swollen. My charlie horse in my calf is almost healed. I felt much better a week or so ago. This is a two step back week. Dang!!!!

It’s as we have said many times, too much, too soon isn’t a good
Haven’t read anything here regarding “restless leg syndrome” or RLS. I’ve been struggling with this for awhile mostly in the evenings while sitting watching a bit of tv. RLS accompanied by just an overall strange feeling from my hip through my knee requiring a really good stretch and a painfully good feeling. Anyone have a possible solution? Perhaps an iron or magnesium supplement? Have a blessed Sunday folks .

I had some RLS at night at about the fouth-fifth week. Really bad at night. I requested a refill of Methocarbamol (Robaxin) and the RLS reduced greatly in my case - ended all together at about eight weeks. See what your doctor says about this medication.

Last edited:
If orthopedic surgeons stressed to patients how long tkr recovery really takes, the degrees of post op pain and all the other stuff that happens.....they wouldn't have any patients.
Thank goodness for Bonesmart.
Amen to this beachy. I had a nerve block that wore off in a little over 24 hours. Went home feeling not too bad. When the nerve block wore off I was in severe, writhing pain. Had no clue how bad this could be and so no preparation for it. Started popping opioids and continued them for 10 days mainly out of FEAR that that horrid pain would return, Started getting crazy-talking on the opioids and have come to understand how people get hooked and say and do crazy things while on opioids. After the 10 days, I went cold turkey and had clammy chills diarrhea, a bit of withdrawal. I do think they just need to sell you on surgery and don’t want to scare people off. Did I do the right thing for the long term? At just over a month into recovery now I guess only time will tell.

It’s Monday morning and 10 weeks since my LTKR. The good news is that I am finally sleeping better even though I’m dealing with some sort of restless leg syndrome. But, my knee has been really stiff since my PT session last Wed. I have another one in two days but not sure if I should cancel. They put me through the wringer at the last session. Been a week since I dallied on the pickleball court but hoping I didn’t actually hurt myself. Curious as to how my OS would be able to confirm everything is ok. Knee is still warm to the touch and a little red. My 3 monrh checkup isn’t until April 11th. Do they ever get better imaging than a mere xray can show? I’d get in the pool today if I wasn’t allergic to the chorine.

I did have some sort of restless leg syndrome as well. Magnesium I take for leg cramps which wasn't the same feeling. My PCP gave me gabapentin and that didn't help that but did make my nerve pain feel better. She ordered Flexeril and that did help with the restless leg feeling. I only took these at night before bed. My insurance would only cover 30 days but that was enough. The only thing I take now is magnesium and I stay hydrated. My OS at 10 weeks said it wasn't uncommon for my knee to feel warm to touch. I didn't have any redness. If it continues you can always send your OS a picture. I wasn't sleeping so well at 10 weeks! No sympathy from my OS! You are doing great! Just had my labs done for oncology and everything was good no side effects from the ibuprofen or tylenol. Ask your PCP before taking any iron just to make sure.

Wednesday was a PT session consisting of a lot of strength building using a leg weight and finally 10 mins or so of pushing down on my knee as my extension at 9 weeks is at 6. Therapist has been gentle up till now. Knee is now very stiff, sore and still swollen.
But, my knee has been really stiff since my PT session last Wed.
There is no need for anyone to push down on your knee. Your extension will come along in time, with normal activity. It’s also a bit early for strength building, as that will come with time also, as you continue to heal.

My ROM, both bend and straight, continued to improve even in my second, and third year. Yours will, too, if you stop letting them cause you days of pain and swelling after a PT session.

Let your careful pickleball be your PT. That is what I call natural PT and is the best kind. That and some reasonable walking will be far better for you than what you’re doing now at PT. I was discharged from PT by 8 weeks. I did the rest of my rehab myself. You know by now what to do to help your recovery. And remember, time, is an important component in this recovery.

Had a 100% sleepless night due to nerve/muscle issues (RLS). Gabapentin doesn’t seem to anything so my OS wrote me a prescription for Flexeril which hopefully will help. They also said if nerve issues continue they may want to MRI my lumbar area as often the realignment from surgery may cause sciatica issues. PT session tomorrow where hopefully they can provide some relief. Getting more and more comments from both my OS as well as PT therapists regarding my ROM. Sounds like it’s about to real LOL.

I was blessed to have a surgeon that never pushed PT. He gave me a prescription for it, which I threw away and never went. When I went for my 3 return checkups, all he was interested in was to see what my knee would do and never measured. He never even asked about PT! Of course, he knew I was a single lady that had to take care of myself and obviously trusted that I would not be just laying around all the time.

Because of birth defects, I've had to have 12 knee surgeries After all those I knew that I did not need formal PT, and neither do many others if they do their own daily activities and not just sit around all day and night. My knees recovered just fine all on their own with only my daily activities. I didn't have the terrible swelling or agonizing pain that so many have after taking formal PT. I knew the Bonesmart way worked before Bonesmart was even thought of. My surgeries started in the early 80s and I never went to PT even back then. I just didn't see the need for it. Bonesmart was formed around 2004. By then I had already had 6 knee surgeries and rehabbed the Bonesmart way!
@sistersinhim did you have muscle atrophy after your surgeries that you managed to improve by just doing your ADLs ?

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
All2Gd88
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom