TKR What did I get myself into?

"While you are sitting there, your cells are flat out at work rebuilding you better. Downtime in recovery is never time wasted, it is time invested in a wonderful future."
SOOO absolutely true. I had to think this way to allow myself full days of doing little after surgery!

Well, its been about 5 hours since my Constant Motion machine and I had a session! Decent results but now my knee is aching and stiffening! I don’t understand this ying yang. Is this really the best way to have a successful outcome. It’s all a bit confusing.

Hi WillB, just curious…what is the kenetic machine you mentioned?
Its a constant motion machine which works your knee while you lie comfortably on your bed or floor. Insurance provided it for 21 days.

Ok, thanks WillB! I see, it’s what I know as a CPM machine. I wouldn’t have minded using one of those just to keep my knee moving a bit toward the beginning. I don’t think I would have used it to try to push ROM though, I think it probably would have made my knee swell more. I hope you find a way to use it that doesn’t irritate your knee. Let us know how it goes!

If orthopedic surgeons stressed to patients how long tkr recovery really takes, the degrees of post op pain and all the other stuff that happens.....they wouldn't have any patients.
Thank goodness for Bonesmart.
Would be really funny except it is so true!
My surgeon is a lovely chap and does explain things well if you ask him the right questions but definitely one of nature's optimists!
My surgeon said in the letter he sent to my Medical Practice that "he had explained that recovery was slow" but he didn’t really, he made it sound that in 6 weeks I'd be pretty much able to do anything I wanted. I’m only 2 1/2 weeks post op but realise now that there is no way I'm going to be 'back to normal' at 6 weeks.

@WillB , I used a continuous motion machine for years. It is important to not use it as a stretching machine or you will put a lot of stress on your knee.

The thing to do is adjust the limits of motion so they are not too close to the ends of your range of motion, so you don’t stress your knee to much.

@WillB , I used a continuous motion machine for years. It is important to not use it as a stretching machine or you will put a lot of stress on your knee.

The thing to do is adjust the limits of motion so they are not too close to the ends of your range of motion, so you don’t stress your knee to much.
Used my machine yesterday for a 30 min session. Gradually got to 0 on extension and 100 on flex at a little over 3 weeks since my TKR. Last night and this morning knee is sofe and stiff. Have a PT session today at 2:30. Might be difficult.

Does anyone know if you can wear a knee compression brace at some point. I know I found them helpful prior to surgery.

WillB, I got a stretchy light compression sleeve to help with my swelling. It really helps a lot and is comfortable to wear. I’m phasing off of it now, leaving it off in the morning and just putting it on when I leave the house after lunch. But I wore it all day every day for a few months and it made a big difference. Don’t know if it would work for everyone but it works for me. I got the one by Doc Miller on Amazon.

I know I found them helpful prior to surgery.
I certainly used one all the time pre- op
and I am wondering about using it again.
I was slightly put off up until now by the odd sensations in the numb patch and how this area would react to being constricted.
I do wonder whether I might wear one in the Summer when I am wearing skirts- partly to protect the knee. I am terrified of falling ( I have had occasional falls in the past) and worry about infection risk if I grazed the knee.

I was never ever able to wear a sleeve more than half an hour. I found various brands rolling up and causing extreme pain at the back of my knee - a tourniquet binding-feeling - so I never enjoyed any benefit.

LD, the first one I tried was like that. The one I ended up getting extends further above and below my knee and seems to be contoured better to the shape of an actual human leg :heehee: But it’s probably a bit of trial and error to find one you like.

Edit to add: I personally found the thicker neoprene type unbearable before my surgery and I can’t even imagine putting one of those on a fresh baby knee.

Had my 2nd PT session yesterday at now day 26 since LTKR. Therapist was pretty gentle. A little time on a recumbant bike and a few strengthening exercises plus knee and thigh massage. All in all nothing hugely uncomfortable. But, last night was a tough sleeping night as my knee and surrounding area barked pretty much all night. What a conundrum! To PT or not! I’d almost rather just down PT for a while and just let my still swollen and tight knee continue to heal. I am looking forward to the day pain disappears. While my therapist is gentle and encouraging, she definitely embraces hitting ROM numbers sooner than later. Have to admit it scares me a bit. Color me “conflicted”!

What a conundrum! To PT or not! I’d almost rather just down PT for a while and just let my still swollen and tight knee continue to heal.
Try it! This is no window of opportunity that will be missed. You can read countless stories here of those that opted not to PT, along with stories of those that did engage in physical therapy. Many with success others, not so much.

Please refrain from engaging in movement that causes discomfort or pain. Do not allow anyone to forcefully manipulate your leg. While your range of motion is currently limited, it will naturally increase as the swelling subsides and the pain eases. Give it time. I hope rest and ice brings you speedy relief. :ice:

I haven't had any formal physiotherapy post my PKR apart from a couple of sessions as an inpatient, immediately after surgery to make sure I was safe to do stairs on crutches.
I just did the exercises the physio recommended myself and got weekly private sessions with my pilates teacher.
She is totally gentle and supportive. In the first few weeks we just did very gentle stretches and exercises and some things like arm work with tiny weights to build up other areas. My ROM has been great (135 flexion and 0 extension ) from pretty early on and I never pushed it at all.

a few strengthening exercises
It's too early to be working on strengthening that baby knee of yours. We recommend you wait for at least 3 months to work on strength to give your knee more time to heal. This waiting will give you better results with less inflammation and pain.
last night was a tough sleeping night as my knee and surrounding area barked pretty much all night. What a conundrum! To PT or not! I’d almost rather just down PT for a while and just let my still swollen and tight knee continue to heal.
This is the result of your PT yesterday. You will do just fine working your knee yourself by doing just your normal daily activities. As long as you listen to your knee and watch its reaction to your previous activities you will know what is good for it and what's not good for it at this time of your recovery. As time goes on and as your healing increases, you will be able to do more without your knee throwing a fit! It's a learning curb.

Will my knee ever stop aching. PT yesterday and a little unassisted walking today, yet I can’t even lie down for a little pm nap without my knee hurting. Sharp aches, low dull aches and just a continous discomfort…just enough to make sleep fleeting. Is it just a matter of time? Jan 12 TKR

Will my knee ever stop aching.
Yes, but it takes time. This is a recovery that requires you to exercise your patience muscle!

Remember, you are less than a month into this year long recovery. Aches and pains are a very normal part of this journey as your body heals.

I found this chart really helpful in understanding why it takes so long for the pain to disappear:

1652123217285.png

The best things that you can do are icing, elevating and taking pain relief medications on a regular schedule.

And be sure that you aren't doing too much too soon. If the pain increases after an activity, your knee is telling you it just isn't ready for that yet.

Take care!

Why are you "conflicted"?
A swollen joint won't bend unless its forced. We see swelling on the outside, but the inside is very swollen, too.
I bet if you stop PT for awhile because of the pain and concentrate on ice and elevation and pain meds your pain will lessen.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Dave4562
Recent bookmarks

Latest posts