Bilateral TKR What Can You Do After Your TKR or BTKR?

Anyone know how long a new knee replacement lasts, I am 11 years in so far
Thank you

I can run again. I run about 1-2 times per week and only on a soft track in high cushioned shoes (max of 5.5 miles, but usually a little under or over 4m) or short uphill repeats. However, I'm taking a break from the 4-5 mile runs for awhile at this time and just doing uphill repeats on the treadmill. Trails are snowy or muddy. I did not run until 2+ years past my 2nd TKR and the majority of my exercise is low or no impact. I'm slow. But, after a 15+ year hiatus from running, this ex-ultrarunner is enjoying his old favorite activity in limited moderation. Hiking is really my favorite thing now, but it does feel great to do a little real running.

Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
Impressive. I started playing tennis again at about 5 months out, albeit against less than top-notch competition. Started hitting against a ball machine about 2 and a half months ago (2-3 times a week), then added in actual matches (once a week) about a month ago. Getting a little more mobility back each week, but need to get serious about dropping a few pounds before trying true competitive tennis. Doc and others who had TKR told me it would be 6 months before I could play decent tennis again, so I'm beating that by a bit; 6-month anniversary will be January 6. Good to hear you are enjoying your physical activity of choice again, and with TWO TKRs. Again, I'm impressed. Happy New Year.

@Rob 68
Anecdotally, there are many people who run, play racquet or ball sports, and do all sorts of physically demanding activities. My weight is up so I'm taking a break from the sustained runs until the ground softens and I drop 10-15 lbs. My running is pretty limited compared to others and to be honest, I go slow (around 10:00/mile) on the 4-5 mile runs such that it's much easier than my harder cardio gym workouts.

Good luck on the courts...hope you play long and well.

Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum

Last edited by a moderator:
I can zoom up and down stairs, no problem, while carrying things, without relying on the handrail. I can squat down to get to things, something I hadn't been able to do in eons. I can garden again, digging in the (clay) dirt. Hike, bike, walk and walk and walk. I started traveling again eight weeks out after each knee, out of necessity -- family illness -- and never looked back.
PT wasn't always pleasant, and I had a few glitches, but as a track coach told a kid I know when she complained in practice, "Suck it up, Princess." Same thing.
Wish I could do a full "child's pose" (yoga/pilates) but my range of motion won't quite get there. I don't like kneeling on a bare floor, but I can.
What a gift!

Almost 10 months post op and I can finally walk 4+ miles a day without any discomfort! I am hoping this will help improve my range of motion as I seem stuck at 100 :( but the knee is good and I can jog but per the doctor I shouldn't.

Brenda

I am inspired, thank you for sharing all the wonderful things you are able to do. 2016 is going to be a joy!!

Alice M, R TKR 11-02-15

At 8 weeks after surgery I'm able to compete in agility with my dog again. Pictures from Jan 9th. Moving slowly but still competitive and having fun. I can do 30 minutes of cardio split between bicycle and elliptical and lift weights at the gym 4 to 5 days a week.

Screenshot 2016-01-12 at 11.06.25 AM.png
Screenshot 2016-01-10 at 9.57.41 PM.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Are you kneeling on the replaced knee?

left knee 9/21/15
right knee 11/30/15
No, kneeling per the Ortho. He said don't kneel, avoid kneeling, why do you need to kneel?? It can be irksome at times but the feeling is so oddly uncomfortable that I avoid it. Ortho only asked me not to do two things .....do not take up running and DO NOT KNEEL.

No, kneeling per the Ortho. He said don't kneel, avoid kneeling, why do you need to kneel?? It can be irksome at times but the feeling is so oddly uncomfortable that I avoid it. Ortho only asked me not to do two things .....do not take up running and DO NOT KNEEL.
Interesting how each OS differs. The only constraint my OS put on me is running.

My OS said no running, no jumping, no carrying over 70lb (32kg). No restriction on kneeling if I'm comfortable, which I am.

No running; but did complete 2 sprint triathlons last spring....walked the 5K portion of the events; finished well under 2 hours; training for another event this spring;

Have completed several home projects; 2 flooring projects which involved a lot of kneeling....have a set of very good knee pads; also completed a brick paver/landscaping project the summer of 2014 which required a lot of kneeling.

I still have to be aware of not overdoing it.....

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
JanieMarie
Recent bookmarks
Back