BoneSmart® Hip / Knee Replacement Forum
Knee Replacement & Hip Replacement
Patient Advocacy & Online Community
  1. Your support makes a difference...BoneSmartie Member

Industry changes have drastically reduced orthopedic partner contributions, which for 13+ years supported the operation and development of BoneSmart.org.

Our patient-focused articles and world-class joint replacement community forum have helped millions of people. Your gift today provides the important funds necessary to keep this valuable resource online.

Donate Now
    Dismiss Notice

[THR] What are the signs of infection?

Discussion in 'Hip Replacement Recovery Area' started by Fullboost, Jan 27, 2017.

1. Fullboost

Fullboost Junior Member

United States United States
    My THR (right side) was scheduled for Feb 1st, but they had a last second cancelation due to someone coming down with the Flu. My doc bumped me up to this last Wednesday, so I took it and am all done!

Direct anterior approach used, everything went well and I was released yesterday!

Quick question, on occasion does anyone feel the joint moving around? It doesn't hurt, just can feel it moving.

2nd question, is it normal to feel one leg taller or shorter than the other?

2. Jaycey

Jaycey Moderator

United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Welcome to the double hippie club @Fullboost !
    Muscle and soft tissues need to firm up around the joint again. It's not moving but it may feel a bit weird for awhile.
    Nearly every new hippie feels this. In most cases the feeling just fades. Give it 3-4 months. Your pelvis was probably tilted to help you stay off that sore hip. It will balance back within that time.

I'll post your recovery information here. I know you already referred to all this for hip number one. But just in case:
    First are the BoneSmart mantras ....
    - rest, elevate, ice and take your pain meds by the clock
    - if it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physiotherapist - to do it to you
    - if your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again
    - if you won't die if it's not done, don't do it
    - never stand when you can sit, never sit when you can lie down, never stay awake when you can go to sleep!
    - be active as much as you need to be but not more than is necessary, meaning so much that you end up being in pain, exhausted or desperate to sit down or lay down!

Pain management and the pain chart
    Healing: how long does it take?
    Chart representation of THR recovery
    Dislocation risk and 90 degree rule
    Energy drain for THRs
    Pain and swelling control: elevation is the key
    Activity progression for THRs
    Home physio (PT)
    Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it
    Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds
    Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

3. mlsread

mlsread Member

4. Cherdonnay

Cherdonnay Member

Congratulations. Way to go and get rid of the last week jitters. You sound in good shape and very normal

Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart mobile app

5. Fullboost

Fullboost Junior Member

Thank you everyone.. Glad its over! on my first hip, they used metal on metal, this one he said he went with ceramic.. Not sure if that's good or bad?

• Like Like x 1
  6. Paddler

Paddler Junior Member

Canada Canada
    Ceramic is the only way to go for my OS. It's an upgrade and not covered by our health insurance but if it works it makes no difference to me. All the best for your recovery!

• Like Like x 1
  7. Hip Hip Hooray!

Hip Hip Hooray! Post-Grad

I remember I felt like a shifting sensation with my hips in the early days after surgery. I could feel the weight of them in certain positions. It went away with time. Things firmed up, and the bone growth was healthy. I no longer feel that sensation of them moving. It's like they are plants that have been transplanted, and the roots are now longer and stronger. Congratulations on your surgery.

8. Jaycey

Jaycey Moderator

@Fullboost - just checking to see how you are getting with this recovery.

9. bionicmedic

bionicmedic Member

How's it going? Hope your feeling good!!!

Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum

10. Fullboost

Fullboost Junior Member

I am on day 5 of recovery. Its been a bit rough needless to say, but I think I'm making progress. Pain has been quite high but as long as I stay on top of it, its manageable.

11. Jaycey

Jaycey Moderator

Oh dear - are you icing and elevating? Pain meds around the clock? Hope things ease for you quickly!

12. Fullboost

Fullboost Junior Member

Yea elevating and icing pretty much 24/7. Would like to wean off pain meds soon, I know everybody is different but what is generally the timeline for getting off pain meds?

13. opie

opie Member

I felt the need to try to wean back on my first hip and I struggled with pain and couldn't make progress with movement. I'm only day 2 with my other hip, but I'm very firm with taking my pain meds on the exact schedule they sent me home on. Once you get behind, it's very hard to get back on top of the pain.

Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart mobile app

• Like Like x 1
  14. leejaa

leejaa Post-Grad

You definitely do not want to go too early. I know on the site here there are some guidelines about weaning which usually means decreasing slowly or increasing the time in between medication doses to make sure it is doable but you have to really listen to your body and not push to get off since pain will not help your recovery.

15. Jaycey

Jaycey Moderator

When you start forgetting doses it is a sign that you are ready to reduce your meds. The dose is usually the midday dose. Don't try and force this before that time - it will only limit your mobility.

16. Fullboost

Fullboost Junior Member

Just an update;

I am now just past week 2 of my surgery. I stopped taking pain meds Monday and only using Ibuprofen when needed. Have not had any issues with pain and feel so much better getting off all the pain meds. Went thru a few days of detox which really sucked!

I had been having some bladder and frequent urination issues, but luckily my brother is a urologist and has helped me out. My leg that was operated on became very swollen but now has returned to normal.

I have been using a cane to walk around on and hoping to ditch the cane in the next few weeks if possible. I can walk without the cane, just have a limp.. I will be returning to work next week (3 weeks post-op), and think I'm ready to get back into a routine.

I've definitely had a bout of the "blues", but am working thru them.

I noticed on my new hip the cup doesn't have a screw securing it like my left side does. I assume this is just another method of securing the cup in the pelvis?

Thanks!

17. Jaycey

Jaycey Moderator

Just a different implant placement - please don't worry. Neither of my implants have screws and both are solid!

Sounds like you are doing well. Hope those "blues" pass quickly.

18. jittery

jittery Junior Member

Hi @fullboost….. NOBODY wants to "get hooked on pain meds". Yet…. please think about "what was done to the bones and flesh of your leg.. during surgery"!!!!! Taking pain meds… to help you recover from THAT…. is "not recreational drug use". A year from now…. you might have trouble even remembering…. how long you took post-surgery pain meds! A year from now…. you will be grateful for "a full recovery". To me… that is what matters. I do not see "how it matters"… how many pain pills you need. What you need… is a "good recovery". I loved my first THR recovery… because I did not have pain! As you have read… I am really hoping for "a pain free recovery"… from this coming THR surgery! I am simply not thinking about "how many pain pills I need". If I need them… I want them. And… when I have heaedl… I won't want them anymore.
    If you think about "what happened to your body… it's not complicated to see… why you need pain meds… until your body heals". Sending peace and best wishes!

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. Fullboost

Fullboost Junior Member

I had my right hip replaced about 2½ weeks ago. Two days ago, I went to an auto show and walked around with my wife (using my cane). Later that day, I noticed the area around my incision is very red. It doesn't hurt, just very red and hot to the touch. My worst fear is getting an infection! Ugh!

Thoughts?

20. Jamie

Jamie Administrator

@Fullboost .... I have merged your latest thread with your original recovery thread. We prefer that each member only have one recovery thread so that we can easily go back and review your history when needed to make a reply. So please post any updates, questions or concerns about your recovery here. If you prefer a different thread title, just post what you want and we'll get it changed for you.

As for your hip redness, I should think that would happen as a result of all that walking on a hard surface when you are less than 3 weeks out from your surgery. You don't have an infection. You've just over done things. Please be kind to your new hip. It's still healing inside even if the incision looks completely healed.