THR What’s Normal

My biggie for the day. This morning I called to cancel my PT appointment scheduled for this afternoon. I indicated my leg hurt and didn’t want to push it. The receptionist stated in a snippy little voice, “You know this will delay your recovery protocol, don’t you?” I told her not to worry her little head about it. I planned to discuss this with the Dr next week. I then went back to bed and slept for 3 hrs. Woke up feeling much better.

Can anyone tell me about how long one has the tilting walk?

I’m not sure about the tilting walk, whether we’re similar, but I did lean to the operated side and also did a little hip hike. It took quite a few weeks for mine to stabilize. I had to focus hard to correct.
Does mine sound anything like yours?
Regardless, I am guessing it’s too soon to worry.:)

Last edited:
My tilt was most pronounced for the first 3 weeks or so- way better now at close to 5 weeks! And congrats on standing up for what you know (in your bones and your muscles) what is right for you! Power to the people!

I happy to say my leg is not aching as much, since I cancelled PT last Thursday. However, whenever I stand, the hip joint hurts. I have to stand still a few min, then I can walk with discomfort. Has anyone experienced this? And, as long as I’m here, does anyone else’s butt go numb? I can only sit for about 30 min at a time. When I get up, pain in the hip and buttocks. I can honestly say I know what pain in the butt! I continue to walk daily. Maybe being unable to sit longer then 30 min has a good side. I’m looking for it.

This is from someone who is not a wimp. I am inpatient, yes, but not a wimp. I’ve always been up doing something. I guess I’m expecting too much too soon. I really am trying to be patient, or learning how.

Last edited by a moderator:
@Cooper1
You're not a wimp!
Some folks have that discomfort on rising.
Does yours go away on walking?
If not, it will. You are only now emerging from the first 2 dark weeks of THR!
So don't sit too long. But don't go into overdrive the other way
At four and six weeks you will feel differently and at 7 weeks you will say hip what hip
I am starting to walk 10000 steps a day
My feet aren't used to that
Id like to cut off my feet. I am 7 weeks out
So you have really earned your right to be fed up.
I can sleep forever but OMG if I do I am so stiff and lurchy. I slept 12 last night and was so achy.
I have faith it will go away You too have faith !

You are certainly not a wimp.
Just early days.
Keep it all easy and slow.
It Does get better friend.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for listening, the encouraging words, and answering my questions. And, speaking of questions, is it normal to have the most discomfort at night.

I would say yes...everyone else is tucked in and comfy, and I just couldn't get that way for very long.
I still had to get up every few hours and move or go to bathroom or get a drink or just get up...usually to settle back in recliner and close my eyes and listen to the food channel.
My night meds were also the last to go.

Smart thing cancelling PT, funny thing how they believe hurting you is going to make you heal faster. I hate to tell you but the standing and waiting before walking will take some time to get over, usually have a stutter step too. Then the pain in the butt deal takes time also. I couldn't carry my wallet in my back pocket for some time. It all takes time, lots of time.

I went for 2nd week checkup today. Took an x-ray, Dr. said everything looked good. I told him PT was killing me, had copies of all the exercises and could work on them all day, instead do cramming them into one hr.

He said I could toss them all except the side kicks, and just walk. The hip will heal, and everyone heals at their own pace. After all, we cut your hip open, then took a power drill and a skill saw and went to work.

@Cooper1 My OS said no PT for 6 weeks, just walk. After those six weeks, no PT for 6 more weeks, just walk. I asked how about cardio and he said just walk faster. He’s against all PT, for months and months, and then just for gait training.

So, just walk.

Hi @Cooper1 - Isn't it a great feeling to check in with your surgeon and hear that everything looks good? I loved his opinion on the exercises. I hope he made you feel better about kicking those exercises to the curb for now.

Side kick those exercises to the curb. Then don't side kick anymore. You don't need any of it. At least not now.
Hope you've been doing well over the past couple weeks.
Today is a special day.....Happy One Month Anniversary!
Wishing you a wonderful Wednesday :SUNsmile:
@Cooper1

Happy Two Month Anniversary!
How are you doing in your recovery? We'd love to hear when you have time to update. Until then...all the best to you!
@Cooper1

Happy Three Month Anniversary!
Happy New Year too! I hope 2020 is a good one for you.
:happy-new-years-toast-smiley-emoticon:
@Cooper1

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
All2Gd88
Recent bookmarks
Back