THR What’s Normal

Cooper1

Country
United States United States
Please add my name to the September Sapphire’s 2019 Hip Recovery Club.
Surgery date: September 30, 2019.

Having read and followed the rest, elevate, ice, and meds as prescribed recommendations, how soon is too soon to reduce pain meds? PT began 4 days post op, hip and leg aches all the way to the knee.

Hello and Welcome to BoneSmart. :welome: Thanks for joining us!

It's not time to begin reducing meds as long as you're in pain, which you mentioned you are. I'm sorry you're struggling, I hope your pain is at least tolerable, if not please speak to your OS about adjusting your meds. What normally happens as a sign it's time to wean is doses are missed by accident because you forget once pain is no longer in the forefront of your mind.

I think PT beginning only four days post op could be your problem. If you're still participating in PT, look at stepping back for a time, continuing meds and balancing activity with rest. Dedicated icing should also help so please read the article on ICE below in the Recovery Guidelines.

Stop back often. We'll be here to support and offer encouragement as you move forward.
A great week to you!

Hip Recovery: The Guidelines
1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now, they are almost certainly temporary
2. Control discomfort:
rest
ice
take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)​
3. Do what you want to do BUT
a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you
b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.
4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of these
5. At week 4 and after you should follow this
6. Access to these pages on the website

Pain management and the pain chart
Healing: how long does it take?
Chart representation of THR recovery

Dislocation risk and 90 degree rule
Energy drain for THRs
Pain and swelling control: elevation is the key
Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it
Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

BIG TIP: Hips actually don't need any exercise to get better. They do a pretty good job of it all on their own if given half a chance. Trouble is, people don't give them a chance and end up with all sorts of aches and pains and sore spots. All they need is the best therapy which is walking and even then not to excess.

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery.

While members may create as many threads as they like in a majority of BoneSmart's forums, we ask the at each member have only one recovery thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review history before providing advice.

Please leave which hip was replaced, below, so the info may be applied with your date of September 30, 2019 as your signature.
Thanks in advance :)
@Cooper1

@Cooper1 , I've put your surgery date in your signature and added you to the September Sapphires list.

I hope you can soon get on top of your pain.

Surgery was on left hip.

@Cooper1 You will find so much valuable support and advice here. I had a right THR on 9/6 and was in no way prepared for what recovery would entail. If your OS is like mine, you got very little insight but everyone here has been in your position so they understand your concerns and frustration also will celebrate your progress. I've done my share of whining but it really helps to know that what I've experienced is not unusual. Everyone recovers at their own pace and the bumps along the way are going to come. I swear by rest and ice and keeping my leg elevated as much as possible. It's SO easy to overdo it when you're feeling just a bit better so keep it SLOW! Too bad they can't hand out patience pills.

@Cooper1 Hello! Gosh, you aren't even 2 weeks post op yet.. I hope the PT is mainly showing you how to navigate with that sore leg and keeping tabs on little things?
Hopefully you've read through some of your welcome links that share the Bonesmart tips for letting that hip heal a bit.
It's great to have you ere on the forum and are here for questions, venting or talking about your first shower,,, the options are endless! :thumb:

PT is not info only. Side kicks, back kicks, a sit down walker, sliding heel, hang bad leg off table to stretch it out. Expected to do two sets of ten each, twice daily. My opinion is they’re crazy or they think I am. Let’s just say twice a week is more than enough. Once I get home, it’s rest, leg up, and ice pack. Oh yea I forgot to mention pain pill.

I’ve always been the type of person that pushed the limit. I think I found it.

Evening @Cooper1. I'm 3 months out in recovery. I caution you going to PT just 8 days or even 3 weeks in recovery as you are at 8 days. Go see what it is, anything that causes pain is not good later. Just saying, be careful on what they ask you to do. There are good PT, however there are others.

Oh @Cooper1 that sounds pretty horrible.
Please tell me you will dismiss this PT and wait to heal for at least 6-8 weeks?
It’s interesting because many surgeons now recommend no formal PT until much later, if at all.
Maybe it’s time to read our favorite BoneSmart advice again:

BIG TIP: Hips actually don't need any exercise to get better. They do a pretty good job of it all on their own if given half a chance. Trouble is, people don't give them a chance and end up with all sorts of aches and pains and sore spots. All they need is the best therapy which is walking and even then not to excess.

Hang in there, things will improve.

Good Morning @Cooper1 ! Or at least better morning!

I am no expert but do think what my OS surgeon told me makes sense. I was sent home after 27 hours in hospital with a sheet of exercises to do twice a day. For the first week there were heel slides and mostly static exercises. On the sheet of paper was written "Do not let others touch you " and "If it hurts don't do it"

On the second week was added some leg kicks side and back and some knee lifts. Same admonition.
On week four I could start to stand from seated in a chair unassisted and do partial sit downs and raises. Same admonition.

I was otherwise forbidden to take outside PT. I was encouraged to walk as much as possible

Why? The surgeon said healing had to take place before conditioning and the implant required time for the osteophytes to grow into the bumpy surface.

When I went for my six week check he said that I could do PT if I wanted but as my gait was excellent he saw no reason for me to do so. Now I do have things I want to work on like quads but I can do that by climbing stairs at home and using a bike.

He said continue to be gentle until 12 weeks and if I do something too much that causes pain, ice elevate and rest.

That said the first two weeks were not comfortable but I am so glad that all went so smoothly.

My surgeon has several thousand hips under his knife, is in his 60s and been doing this for many years yet is not of the old school must do PT.

So no I have not seen any PT. Gotta go.. Have to do leaf cleanup in the yard today and find out what the darn dog did with my ornamental gourds! I am 7 weeks post op.

Hope my story gives you perspective.

Good news! Let that poor leg recover a bit.
Consider asking your surgeon how he feels you'll progress without PT until 6-8 weeks, or even longer. I'd be curious to hear what he says.
Many do not engage in PT ever and some only to work on certain issues, most often gait, usually after 6-8 weeks.
Wishing you comfort and a wonderful Wednesday!
@Cooper1

One takes narcotics when needed ... if not needed, one continues with tylenol. If tylenol is sufficient for pain, then don't take take narcotcs at all. Seriously, you get to decide.

I returned home the day after the op ... took two oxy tabs in hospital the day of the op. None after that - ever.

This was my second hip. The first one with a week plus of narcotics made me woozy - and recovery was delayed because of them.

Never had PT - either time. See my thread if you are interested.

Last edited:
I had in home PT with the first hip but it was all super mild of slides and leg moves and checking on my gait as well as making sure I was safe on stairs and in the house. All was with if it hurts do not do it. After a couple of weeks it was checking on my switch to cane and showing me additional movements but no strain. Sort of same movements as mainegirl. I never did go to official PT after that since I could pretty much do everything I wanted slowly and after some months started using my recumbent bike with no tension at first and then increasing the tension. As it says on bonesmart, all you really need is walking and then the activities of daily living kick in and you are moving all your muscles.

Be kind to yourself and your hip and it will recover. If in pain, take the meds - suffering is not required for recovery.

@Cooper1 You will do just fine. Especially if you just rest that leg like you mentioned, at least until you see your doctor.
I hope you've had a good day and are resting comfortably tonight. :flwrysmile:

:wave:and :welome:
These first weeks can indeed be tough but I was so happy when i realized that the surgery pain was Temporary and that with mindful recovery, I would get my life back.
Glad you are leaving off of the exercises as your body is directing all its energy toward healing.
Rest all you can, Eat well, Walk some. And Ice, Ice, ice!:ice:
Hope today is a Good Day!

I appreciate all the input. I’m so glad I found this web site. You folks offer reasonable advice and all the support one could want.

On behalf of BoneSmart, thank you! There are many great members here willing to lend a listening ear, offer suggestions, support and comfort when needed. Stick around, we'd love to follow your journey.

A great rest of the week to you!
@Cooper1

Hello Cooper1 - I am also a believer in the no physio approach, after learning the hard way! I am not too far ahead of you and after 1 and a half weeks of no physio at all and just walking 15 -20 minutes 4 to 5 times a day on flat level surface, am doing much much better. The advise you get here from those who have travelled this path before us, is invaluable! I know it takes more than a little faith to put aside the attitude that you have to "drive your healing" with focused hard work, but I am here to add my voice and say "trust the process!" Hope you are doing well!

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
JanieMarie
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom