Hello to all my online hippie friends,
This will be my final update for a while: This past week has been very weird. I haven't felt good. The pain in the incision has been bad enough to get me back on the Norco. But the more crucial thing is, my body has been doing all kinds of very strange stuff. I've had a fever 0f 99.4 which is real high for me. This morning i woke up, and i felt like I was on fire. My temp was 101, the highest I've experienced since i was 14 years old. The odd part, I didn't have the chills at all. I was sweating profusely throughout the night too. A few days back, my temp was 98ish, and I had crazy chills, as in the teeth chattering variety. Just strange behavior from my body.
I had a blood draw yesterday, and expected the doc to call this morning with results, and I knew deep down they were going to be a disaster. I know my body very well. I spent many years as an endurance athlete, and have been able to tell when something's off right away. Two weeks ago, my C Reactive Protein was 1.03. Last week it was 1.40. Are you ready for this? The results from yesterday's blood draw, my CRP was 11.8. Yes, 11.8. That's a massive jump. I knew ahead of time it was going to be bad, but I didn't think it would be this bad. My OS's medical asst. gave me the # when she called this morning and also told me Doc has scheduled an EXPLANT procedure for tomorrow around dinner time. I'm sure you all know, but just in case, that's the procedure where they go in and remove the original implants and then install the spacer. What absolutely blows my mind is that the CRP can jump this much all while on massive daily doses of TWO very strong IV broad spectrum antibiotics. (via the PICC line)
I called the ID doc, and she's sending a Home Health Care nurse to take another blood draw today, because she wants to check to see if this infection has now become a blood stream infection. This type of infection (blood stream) is called septicemia which is the stage just prior to sepsis. She's suspicious because of my temps and the way I described the chills to her. Not that everything we've all gone through isn't serious business, but septicemia is the real deal, as in not good in any way shape or form.
I've always lived life with the attitude of not worrying about that which I can't control. I've always been a very "chill" calm, cool, and collected guy. (for the most part, lol) I have to admit to all of you, while I'm not worried about the surgery, I'm absolutely terrified about this possible blood infection. From day one, I was very resistant to even having the dang PICC line put in. I've never done well with antibiotics. They cause a lot of issues, even when counteracting them with probiotics.
So far, every single aspect of my initial hip replacement has had one constant. Anything that can go wrong has. It's like an Epic tale of Woe. I know I;m not alone in this journey, thanks to this forum. You've all been an amazing positive force for me throughout this trip. I wanted to update the thread with the very latest details. When I'm able to come back and keep the thread going, I will do just that.
Meantime, thanks for reading, thanks for all the advice, thanks for all the good thoughts, and thanks for being right alongside me as I've moved through this MISadventure. i surely appreciate all of you.
Here we go again,
Westy