Were you able to wear shoes home from hospital, or were your feet too swollen?

Catnapper

Country
United States United States
The hospital instructions I received suggested wearing closed-back slippers at the hospital, and shoes on the way home. Is this generally possible? I assumed my foot would be too swollen for shoes. What was your experience, and how did you address this potential problem?

You should be able to wear shoes. I would suggest a sturdy pair of tennis shoes or maybe some slip-on Sketchers. It would be rare for your feet to be so swollen that you could not put your shoes on. Worst case scenario, they will let you wear those slipper socks to ride in the wheel chair and step in and out of your car. It's not like you're going to be walking any distance.

I wore shoes.. No problems.
Now next day may be another matter so that is where the slipper socks and a sock assist aid was handy.

I have slippers without backs that I wore walking around the hospital, for the trip home and at home. They have solid non-slip soles, are fur-lined and are made well so my feet don't slip around, or out of, them. I like this kind because I have a hard time bending my knee to get slippers/shoes with backs on, and don't like to bring my long shoehorn everywhere I go. My feet never really swelled up too much; it was my knee and the surrounding areas that swell, so shoes for the most part haven't been an issue.

I have mocassin type slippers and that’s what I wore at the hospital and for the trip home.

I wore my Crocs in and out and didn't have any trouble at all.

I was required to wear the nonslip hospital issued socks around the surgical floor while an inpatient. I wore my Sketchers dream walker slip-ons with backs home with no issues.

Cynthia

My feet would have been too swollen to fit into my newer New Balance shoes. But I had an old, well worn, fairly stretched out pair that I wore home. In fact, those are still the only ones I wear when I leave the house.

In the hospital I wore hospital socks that they provided. At home, I wear similar non-skid socks that I got on Amazon.

My feet are starting to be less swollen lately, so maybe soon I can get into my newer, snugger New Balance shoes again.

My feet didn't swell for about a week so it was definitely possible to wear shoes to go home. I had the sketchers slip ons.

I wore my regular sneakers home every time. My foot did swell a bit but still fit into my sneakers.

I wore sneakers maybe a slip on easy spirit shoe. I believe PT wants closed sneakers or shoe.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
JoeyRamone
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom