Lounge Doctor

THR Wentworth's Recovery Thread

Wentworth

Country
United States United States
I had anterior THR Yesterday
Rough first night getting pain meds right. Nausea ant the like. Feels a lot better this morning
Getting up soon to walk and get dressed
Thankyou all for your support and happy new year

Celle

Country
New Zealand New Zealand
Hello @Wentworth and :welome: to Recovery.

I'm glad your surgery is done and you're feeling better today.

I have moved your post from the January Jackpots team thread and started a recovery thread with it for you.
The January Jackpots thread is essentially a list of people having surgery that month, not a place where you update your progress. If everyone posted their own updates there, the thread would soon grow very confusing.

So please continue to post updates and questions about your progress on this, your own recovery thread.

Here are our recovery guidelines, to help you with recovery - lots of helpful and informative articles:

Hip Recovery: The Guidelines
1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now, they are almost certainly temporary
2. Control discomfort:
rest
ice
take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)​

3. Do what you want to do BUT
a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you​
b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.​

4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of these

5. Try to follow this

6. Access these pages on the website

Pain management and the pain chart
Healing: how long does it take?
Chart representation of THR recovery

Dislocation risk and 90 degree rule
Energy drain for THRs
Pain and swelling control: elevation is the key
Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it
Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

BIG TIP: Hips actually don't need any exercise to get better. They do a pretty good job of it all on their own if given half a chance. Trouble is, people don't give them a chance and end up with all sorts of aches and pains and sore spots. All they need is the best therapy which is walking and even then not to excess.

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery.

While members may create as many threads as they like in the majority of BoneSmart’s forums, we ask that each member have only One Recovery Thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review the member’s history before providing advice, so please post any updates or questions you have right here in this thread.

Elf1

FORUM ADVISOR
Forum Advisor
Country
:wave: @Wentworth and welcome to the recovery side! Hopefully if you aren't already home you'll get there soon. I think we heal much better in our own environment. Keep us posted how it's going when you feel up to it.
:banana-santa::happy-new-year-smiley-emoticon-4::banana-santa:

OP
OP
W

Wentworth

Country
Going good so far much more pain and stiffness than I expected
But I’m icing, elevating and resting
And taking meds in time
Glad it’s over

djklaugh

FORUM ADVISOR
Forum Advisor
Country
@Wentworth Welcome to the recovery side. Yes the stiffness - feels like the leg is made of wood and weighs about 100lbs. This is called "log leg" and is totally normal. The icing and elevating will help that though it may take a week or more for it to fully dissipate.

Best wishes for a smooth and relatively uneventful recuperation :prayer:

OP
OP
W

Wentworth

Country
Thank you
Progressing good today resting , pain medicine short bathroom walks , great wife who took a couple weeks off to .All seems normal

FCBayern

FORUM ADVISOR
Forum Advisor
Country
Honduras Honduras
Just keep to the schedule for pain meds, ice often for at least 45-60 minutes with something between your skin and the ice @Wentworth and take it really easy in your early days. Lots of advice and experience here at BoneSmart, please continue to share your recovery with us.

OP
OP
W

Wentworth

Country
Ice and rest is helping , more movement in lower leg now .
I have a couple questions it’s 20 days between surgery and the time I see my doctor do you just leave that waterproof bandage that they put on do you see the doctor and typically how long do you stay on the walker until after you see your doctor.
Do most people go from walker to cane or not??
Thanks for all your help

djklaugh

FORUM ADVISOR
Forum Advisor
Country
@Wentworth as I recall I was told I should leave bandage on until it fell off -- about 10 days I think. Do you have stitches or staples? And is surgeon waiting until the visit 20 days after surgery to remove those? If you have stitches are they the dis-solvable kind. There's more info here: https://bonesmart.org/wound-care-at-home/

And I went from walker to crutches after about a week. Then crutches to cane after another 3 - 4 weeks. As far as the which to use goes -- do what feels best/most stable to you. I remember my first appt with the surgeon was not until nearly 2 months post op ( had an interim appt with his assistant a PA who removed the stitches) and walked into his exam room carrying cane over my shoulder like a rifle ... his nurse laughingly accused me of showing off ... and I said "Why yes I am"

Elf1

FORUM ADVISOR
Forum Advisor
Country
@Wentworth everybody is different when it comes to transitioning from walker to cane to no assistive device. Depends on how bad you were prior, how good your balance is and if you're limping. If you're limping continue to use an assistive device until you're walking normal. Don't be in a hurry and chance hurting yourself.

I took off the original outer bandage and replaced it with new before going to my first follow-up. Of course the Surgeon's Nurse about had a fit when I showed up with a different bandage and that I had carefully washed around the incision. Told her that's what the instructions in my discharge paperwork from the hospital said, told her maybe she should take that up with them. :heehee:

Eman85

supremo
Country
Glad it’s over
It's only just begun! Once you're prepped and headed for the OR that's the easy part.
I had a clear tape over my incision, no visible stitches or staples. OS info said 2 weeks on the tape or if it fell off from showering don't worry. That tape is the toughest stuff! I scrubbed and soaked it and it never budged. My first I was scheduled at 2 weeks for follow up and nurse removed it. My second at 2 weeks my wife removed it. I despised that tape, made me itch like crazy after the first week.
Generally the progression is from walker to cane and no one does it at the same time intervals.

OP
OP
W

Wentworth

Country
Thank you for all the support . I think I’m doing good
Rough sleeping last night pain in ribs I think from Boeing on right side . Still non 325 hydrocodone every 6 hours
At what point should I cut back and to what half during day and whole at night?

Eman85

supremo
Country
Just my opinion but none of us are qualified to give advice on medications. I just listened to my body and erred on the safe side as I cut my meds. If you're taking it easy and not straining anything the pains will ease off and all you'll need is ice and maybe Tylenol. The first 2 weeks are not enjoyable, but it will pass and it will get better.

FCBayern

FORUM ADVISOR
Forum Advisor
Country
Honduras Honduras
@Wentworth everyone is different but it's important you take them long enough that the pain doesn't stop you from being mobile enough to perform activities of daily life. I myself was able to start cutting back at two weeks although I still took one at night because minor pain that is easy to ignore during the day can make sleep difficult. Bottom line is use them until you don't need them anymore and don't let anyone else tell you when that is, like Eman85 said, listen to your body, it will tell you when you're ready to cut back.

OP
OP
W

Wentworth

Country
11 days out and elevate, ice , rest has really helped
I’m mobile to the point I can walk with my walker Not for 5 minutes less pain and log leg is gone. I can flex and move my op leg to get in and out of bed.
Did a 5 minute walk in house yesterday and no swelling or pain increase. Following the post op list in bonesmart, and very thankful for the list and progression chart .

FCBayern

FORUM ADVISOR
Forum Advisor
Country
Honduras Honduras
Early days but you are making good progress @Wentworth, it's always nice when the worst days are behind us. Sticking with the activity progression chart will help keep you out of trouble. Most of us make our first trip (yes first trip, I'm a slow learner) to the Over Did It Club (ODIC) somewhere around the 2-3 week mark when it starts feeling better moving around and before you know it you've done too much. Big tip: your hip won't cause you any pain or give any indication you are doing too much when you are actually doing it. But 12-36 hours later you can really be put back in pain. Some people take a couple of weeks to get back to where they were in their recovery. Definitely better to take it slow and easy.

OP
OP
W

Wentworth

Country
Wow that’s great advice right there. My wife and I were just discussing what overdoing it would be . Thank you I’m going to be very careful
So glad I opted out of P.T I’ve been thru it 3 times in the last 18 months and do not want them touching me

OP
OP
W

Wentworth

Country
Just past the 2 week mark
Cut way back on meds to 1 at night Tylenol during day
Still lots of ice all the time in recliner. Sleeping better up once at 3am . Icing right in bed
I feel it’s my savior. Elevate ice rest. Moving more easily still with walker till doctor appt tues.
I hope he says I can go to army cane !
No pain in joint is so nice. I feel like I want to go out somewhere or go outside and walk down the road. I’m not going to do it till after Tuesday though
Thanks for All the support And best wishes to the new hip replacements coming onboard each day

Eman85

supremo
Country
Walking down the road! Brings back memories of an over did it. The tricky part about walking down the road is the walk back. I found myself down the road and leaning on a fence post for some time when I had gone too far and still had to walk back. After my lesson learned I went to the park and walked the short walking track. It has benches around it and it's short so I was close to the car no matter how far I walked.

OP
OP
W

Wentworth

Country
First doctors appt yesterday
20 days after surgery. Took bandage off and all is normal. Said I’m doing well. Swelling almost gone
Released to cane and nothing as I am ready. I said I’m am icing, elevating and resting with occasional walks. Still ok with 1 pain pill at night and Tylenol during the day.Perfect they said and increase activity as I feel no effects from what I did the day earlier as far as walking. If I do then slow back down . I am not pushing it at all. This is not a sprint the doctor said.
thanks for the support

New

Active Antibacterial

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Gasoline19
Recent bookmarks

Top Bottom