• RATE YOUR SURGEON ON OUR NEW JOINT SURGEON LOCATOR

Your opinion matters so please click on this announcement to find out how to rate the surgeons you have worked with

You could also go to the Surgeon Locator via the blue nav bar at the top - find the tab "Surgeon Locator"

Well, Wednesday is my appointment a different surgeon

Status
Not open for further replies.

mamabash

Country
United States United States
I am a wreck. My knees are so bad that I find myself in tear most days. The OS that I have been seeing refuses to do surgery because of my BMI (47) and my age (50). He said that if I lose 20 pounds, he would CONSIDER it! In the past year, I have lost a total of 3 pounds. In the past, when trying to lose weight, I was only successful when I was busy and active. I can't be active. He doesn't seem to understand. He gives me shots in my knees. The shots make me sick for 1 week, provide relief for 3 weeks, then I have to wait 2 more months to get a few weeks of heaven. He wants me to get the shots with some sort of rooster comb in it. I have read nothing but negative reviews about them.
I have no idea what this new guy is going to say. My husband is going with me, which I have mixed feelings about. I am bit scared if the OS says no to surgery, he may get punched. This has been going on for so many years. We can't even plan vacations. All I want is to be back on my bicycle by May. I so miss being active with my family.
I really thought when this day came, I would be excited. But now I'm horrified about him denying me new knees. It is so hard to stay positive. Plus, our oldest son turns 21 tomorrow! Yep, I'm a wreck!

leejaa

post-grad
Country
Totally understandable :console2: when it is something you want and need so much. It will be OK - we have many bone smarties that found doctors that would operate on them no matter the BMI - including mine. See what he says and do not give up on gaining your life back. :flwrysmile:I hope your appointment goes well. Let us know, we care.

denpucc

senior
Country
i hope your appointment goes well. Like leejaa said, there are many OS doctors out there who will do surgery on people like you. you should probably try and get a recommendation and when you are making the appointment ask if the OS had restricitions on BMI...

Good luck!

Hugs,
Denise

VancouverUSAgal

graduate
Country
Go to as many surgeons as you have to in order to find one who will do your surgery. I was delayed 10 years because my ins. refused to allow surgery at my BMI. After changing ins., I was able to find a doc who would operate despite my BMI. I found him by calling around and asking. Many times staff would tell me their doc wouldn't do it but that I should try Dr. XXXX. Eventually I found one who was willing to talk about it.

I waited way, way too long. i'm still waiting because after getting surgery scheduled, my surgeon had to have surgery, and now I'm waiting until Medicare kicks in. Those shots are just a big waste of time and money in my opinion.

DON'T GIVE UP - KEEP LOOKING!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Scooby22
Recent bookmarks

Top Bottom