TKR Well I did it ..

So today I drove my husbands to Tesco and back . About 3 miles. After surgeon said I could try this week. It’s aching like and I’m elevating and icing it … but it’s a start. I truly believe the advice to elevate higher and ice longer has been the key to this progress.

Attachments

• 4F260940-57D8-4BC4-8FED-316A75695AB3.jpeg
    4F260940-57D8-4BC4-8FED-316A75695AB3.jpeg
    158 KB · Views: 51
Congrats on the drive! Very good for the morale! :friends:You did just right to take a break and ice afterward.

Hi everyone .
All going well … sloooow but well
I’m not using any kind of walking aid round the house.
I walk about a mile locally and need one crutch less and less.
I’m exercising .
Back in my
Beloved zumba classes. Sitting in a chair mostly but have stood and actually moved my feet a few times.
My bend is ok- ish and is my flex but the surgeon is not stressing about it so I’m not.
Despite seeing one ultra negative PT ( not my usual) who told me NO ONE returns to zumba or walking up mountains after a TKR. She was vile, trying to push my knee into doing what it can’t yet physically. Luckily hubby was with me and, politely but firmly put her in her place. Upset and worried me about what my future looks like though .
I’m due back in work in 3 weeks though. It’s only 3 hours but involves being on my feet and walking nearly the whole time.
I was wondering if anyone has any thoughts on wearing one of my old knee supports just for work … til I’m strong enough to do it without?
Is there any down side to it?

Wearing a knee support or brace is done by many people including me. As long as you don’t wear it so much you impede your recovery it should be no problem.

If it is a rigid brace from before your surgery it might not be properly aligned with your new knee so you might have to consider that.

I wear a neoprene brace with cross-cross straps when I know I’ll have to be on my feet for a while and it definitely helps.

Upset and worried me about what my future looks like though .
I'm so sorry that a rude PT upset you like that! Please don't worry; you are doing great. Your surgeon certainly know more than some PT and he says your bend is fine.

Yes, recovery from this surgery takes a long time, but look at the milestones you've already achieved: Walking a mile! Getting back to Zumba! Before you know it you'll be climbing hills again. Keep a positive attitude and you'll get there.

Regarding the brace, I think you should check with your surgeon's office about whether using a brace is advised and, if so, what kind is best for your needs. They know your knee better than we do.

Do let us know what they say.

I was wondering if anyone has any thoughts on wearing one of my old knee supports just for work
I think you should ask your doctor this. It's probably OK, but your doctor needs to make that decision.
She was vile, trying to push my knee into doing what it can’t yet physically. Luckily hubby was with me and, politely but firmly put her in her place. Upset and worried me about what my future looks like though .
How mean of her! Thank God your hubby was with you to take care of you. If that happens again and your husband isn't there, you take control and tell her "No way!"! It is your knee and your recovery and you don't want anything to set you back.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
JanieMarie
Recent bookmarks
Back