TKR Well I did it ..

Been thinking about the ‘downs’ … feeling bored and getting frustrated and tearful at times.
:flwrysmile: It's totally normal to feel that way. We all go through it at some point in our recovery. It does get better. In the meantime, let yourself have a good cry. It really helps!

Omg I had a cramp in my op leg this morning.
Literally a 999 moment
Good job hubby was there to calm me and stretch my leg.
Thing is I’ve always had leg cramps. Especially when I’m lazy about hydration post exercise.
But having one in that leg now was a real panic moment !!
I counteracted it the way I used to and it eased off.
I dug my Dextrol out of my gym bag and put them in my post op bag
I’m taking them and getting some proper tonic water to make sure I avoid on future.
It’s a colourful journey isn’t it

Reactions: Jcx
Colorful is a nice way to describe this recovery! Are you taking magnesium? It helps with cramps.

No but I’ll get some if it works.
Cos I’ve just had another one as I moved my leg from elevation on sofa.
Literally spasmed off the sofa and ended up face down on carpet.
Thankfully hubby had returned from work so could help stretch it out.
God the momentary pain was indescribable . I’ve had half an hour of crying with fear and ruing getting this done !
I’m terrified of it happening again now. Especially when I’m alone during the day.
I was not prepared for this .
I’ve also had the tight band and hard muscle feeling all day.
I’m at a loss cos it seems to have happened out of the blue. No gradual lead up . Just bam, tight , hard muscles !!! Help!

Maybe a call to your surgeon’s office is a good idea, and see what they suggest.

Do you think it could be serious then? I saw the hospital physio yesterday and mentioned it was starting to feel tight just yesterday . She didn’t seem concerned but I hadn’t spasmed then. I’ll give them a ring in the morning.

No, I don’t think it’s serious, but maybe they can give you something for it or have a suggestion for you, since each episode is so intense.

Is it possible it could be what we call zingers? They feel like lightning bolts shooting through the knee. I'd actually had my leg jump up when I had some of them. They are some of the nerves reattaching or healing that cause this awful pain. Thank God they are usually very quick but can be frequent in the early days.

I’m not sure.
I can get cramping in my legs anyway when I’m a bit lazy with hydration/ stretching after exercise.
It definitely felt similar in the sense that it was a spasm that made my leg shoot straight but it didn’t last as long and it definitely felt like a sharp pain in my knee rather than a prolonged muscle spasm . It’s just left me scared tho .
I’m not sure if I should be resting more. Stretching more or less.
I’m actually in a bit of a state in case any movement causes another one.
It seems to have coincided with the tight band feeling at top and outer side of my knee.
But there’s also a bit of a sharp pain in the knee when I bend now .
I’m not sure if the spasm has done that damage tho!
God I feel like a right mess now. After such good progression too.

I know it’s hard, but try to relax. :console2:

Also, Stiffness/Tightness in general, is a normal occurrence after this kind of major surgery. Your surgeon did major carpentry work and disturbed every millimeter of soft tissue in this area. You aren't tight because your muscle is underused and needs to be stretched and rehabbed. You're tight because your tissue is healing...and full healing takes a full year or more.

So I spoke to my physio this morning.
The woman is amazing. It seems she has the Bonesmart philosophy without knowing it.
Instructions to take it back to day 1.
For the next few days act as if you’ve just had the op.
Rest, rest and rest it some more.
Ice it . Rest it.
Use 2 crutches again when you do move, toilet etc. keep as much weight off it as you can.
The muscle should loosen as it rests.
It’s just overworked so don’t even do your stretching exercises.
Let’s see where we are Friday.
Ring me if you’re worried in any way .
It’s not your knee it’s the muscles but as they cramp they pull on the new joint and that’s gonna hurt cos there’s still a lot of damaged flesh healing there.
So treat it like a cramp. Push your foot against something hard. Push you’re fist into the centre of the cramp. Try and stay calm. Just know it’s nothing going wrong with the TKR.

I feel armed to face it now. It was just so upsetting not knowing the right thing to do.
Thank you for your advice ….. it’s so good having this forum for support xx

Oh and she said She’s not worried about my progress as I have good movement in it.
So I just need to try and relax and not be as scared stiff as I am about it happening again.
Talk about reassurance and encouragement . From some of the physio stories I’ve read, I think I’m really lucky to have Kay .

Sounds like your PT is a gem! Take her advice and let that knee settle. Plenty of time to strengthen and tone when all has calmed down.

I’m laying on sofa rubbing magnesium foam into my muscles and drinking tonic water ( thank goodness for Amazon!)
And I intend to stay this way for days x

Kay's attitude is a blessing to her patients! I'm so glad you have her. She has been trained correctly on how to rehab a joint replacement.

Enjoy letting your knee heal. How is the cramping?

I’m a bit lazy with hydration
Hydration is very important and it’s so easy for many of us to let it slide.
As for the muscle cramps, Magnesium may not work immediately, but it is certainly worth looking into.

Magnesium supports the following:
Bone health
Healthy blood sugar
Cardiovascular health
Muscle relaxation and nerves
Promotes healthy sleep (falling asleep and staying asleep)

An article on Magnesium -
https://bonesmart.org/forum/threads/magnesium-is-a-star.20301/

I've also heard of drinking 4-6 oz of Q-Tonic before bed which is a water that contains quinine. Read the label as some of the waters do not contain quinine, but quinine flavoring instead.

What a lovely friend group you have along with the support of family. Such a blessing!
It appears you have quite the stash in the form of thoughtful gifts to elevate your comfort level and keep your mind occupied. I’ll bet it’s fun to rifle through when you’re feeling down in search of a pick me up and reminder that you are loved!
Have a wonderful Wednesday!

I have found if I go a few days without taking Magnesium (I take solgar brand - cal, mag, zinc) before bed I wake up with muscle cramps. It helps me relax before bed too. Definitely talk to your surgeon too. Even 3 months in if I over do exercise or ADL’s I have a low dose muscle relaxant just incase it wakes me up (maybe once every week or two). I’m not super big on taking medicines in general but figure that’s why we have it- no reason to suffer if the natural remedies (quinine tonic, magnesium) aren’t enough. Hope this resolves soon. ❤️

Be sure to talk to your doctor about your muscle spasms too. I had a similar problem that turned out to be that I had a 10 degree bend and was told that essentially I was doing a lot of lunges and overtaxing my muscles. Working on my extension solved it.

I’m in the same boat- had my left knee done in May, supposed to get my right knee done and I just cannot stomach the thought. However, I’ve talked to a couple people who have been though the same and they say once you start reaping the benefits of one good knee you will decide you want two good knees. Here’s hoping!

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• mendogal
    Staff member since November 10, 2023

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
HikerWalker
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom