BoneSmart® Hip / Knee Replacement Forum
Joint Replacement Patient Advocacy
and Online Community
  1. Announcing BoneSmart's NEW Joint Surgeon Locator tool

We are pleased to now offer a tool to help you find just the right surgeon for your needs. If your surgeon is not listed, please let us know and we'll get them added.

Read more about this in this announcement:

Dismiss Notice

[THR] Well I’ve got my 2nd hip now

Discussion in 'Hip Replacement Recovery Area' started by Hoppy Nanny, Mar 21, 2019.

1. bickypeg

bickypeg graduate

United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Oh I've wasted money on so many things I thought would help which didnt! Recliner, memory foam mattress, heating pad, umpteen pairs of shoes! :beg:

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. Fit4Family

Fit4Family graduate

United States United States
    The shoes!! :rotfl: I could outfit an army. Once I’m past this I am buying some really nice ones.

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  3. bickypeg

bickypeg graduate

I did have one good moment when I sold a pair of bright pink Skechers on eBay for more than I paid for them! Otherwise a very negative experience shoe wise. Couldn't even find a comfy pair of slippers which is truly bizarre! Too flat, too fluffy, too pinchy, too warm..

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  4. Fit4Family

Fit4Family graduate

Yes to all above @bickypeg Even slippers!

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  5. Hoppy Nanny

Hoppy Nanny Sr Bonesmartie

I think my band will probably be relegated to the cupboard named “It seemed a good idea at the time” @Carriemay60

Don’t get me started on shoes @bickypeg
    I’ve boxes & boxes... and I just bought another pair of sandals!
    The internet has a lot to answer for.
    But nice shoes hurt @Fit4Family
    everyone single pair!! I’ve resigned myself to wedges & no more nice heels... too frightened of falling... oh the years I spent in heels as an Estate Agent... didn’t care if they were comfy only stylish counted then.

Thank you for your good wishes @Layla The very same to you hun . This hip just amazes me... so glad I eventually plucked up the courage again to do No2..
    Just finished the whole lot of housework . top to bottom... no pain no stiffness... just MY hip ... hope everyone having s good day.

I’m excited as my gorgeous twin sis bought us tickets for a Mark Knopfler (Dire Straits) concert at the Royal Albert Hall, London next Wednesday, 22nd May .... before having this op I would have dreaded the whole idea...
    I’m raring to go!!! Sadly, my twin sis still has her bad hip... she’s in terrible pain so we’ve booked her a disabled seat.. it’s only 8 short weeks since I was like that...
    She is going to see the same surgeon in a couple of weeks... think seeing how good my op has been has made her feel easier about it.
    Blimey, I’ve written War & Peace...sorry !!!
    Take care my lovelies... Chrissie xx

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like Like x 4
    • Friendly Friendly x 2
  6. JennyLynne

JennyLynne post-grad

I am super jealous... to see Mark Knopfler is cool enough - but at Royal Albert Hall?!? Epic! It is so wonderful to plan things and look forward to them, rather than dread!

When I was about 8 weeks out from my PKR, we wen to see the Rolling Stones. I was so nervous. Then I realized - haf the people in my row had had joint replacements. LOL!

• Funny Funny x 2
  7. Carriemay60

Carriemay60 post-grad

Canada Canada
    That would be wonderful if your sister is encouraged by you to get her hip fixed and fantastic if you can start enjoying life together!

• Agree Agree x 2
  8. Hoppy Nanny

@JennyLynne
    Think the Rolling Stones have a few replacements between them
    Last time I saw Mark knopfler he was struggling with a back condition.. he sat on a chair all the concert... no interval as he said he’d never get up & back again... !!

@Carriemay60
    My sis & I enjoy a lot of adventures together but its been a long haul with my spinal surgery & 2 THR’s and her 2 TKR’s & now her hip ...we will get there...

• Like Like x 3
  9. Fit4Family

Fit4Family graduate

@Hoppy Nanny Really great that you are looking forward to the Mark Knopfler concert with your sister. It is so good your experience has inspired her to be brave and get help. You really are living it up and enjoying getting out there Chrissie. Makes me smile!

• Agree Agree x 2
  10. CricketHip

CricketHip FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

@Hoppy Nanny - hello! I just caught up with your thread and you are progressing along so very nicely. yay! and a road trip already.. those little jaunts are so uplifting, especially when it's to see family. :loveshwr:
    I was away for a week and it's nice to return to catch up on here and see bonesmarties all doing so well.
    (but so sorry to read about your knee) but there are many on here that have had knees and hips done and done well so I think you will have some great motivation to get moving and traveling greater distances, right?

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Layla

Layla FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

Happy Two Month Anniversary! (Belated)
    It sounds like you're doing well. I hope you and sis enjoy the concert tomorrow. Don't get too crazy.
    I can see you now, shakin it with your new hip :happyfeet: Money for nothin', chicks for free :egypdance:
    You'll have to report back on how you did with all the walking.
    Have fun!! :)
    @Hoppy Nanny

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  12. Fit4Family

Fit4Family graduate

Hello hipster sister @Hoppy Nanny Thinking of you today and was wondering how you are doing. We passed the two month mark. I’m still walking daily with either the cane or poles. Can’t give either up until I’m cleared to do so, but have a definite limp, so unsure when I will be able to walk solo. What have you been up to? How’s your hip behaving? Hope all is well. ❤️

13. Hoppy Nanny

Hi Hippie sis @Fit4Family
    Happy 2 month anniversary to you hun...I, too, use one crutch when out walking.... it’s no good limping along for vanity’s sake !!!
    Plus it’s a bit of a confidence thing if there are crowds!

Thanks @Layla ... all is very good & my hip was so well behaved!!

We had a fabulous time yesterday ... long day .. we left home at 11.45 am... picked up my brother in law (still working!)
    at Horsham .. 1.5 hours away & found a little pub & had a fab lunch/dinner... left there at 3pm & drove to Chelsea (London) 2 hours journey... We stopped for a couple of Cocktails & a walk to stretch the muscles in Chelsea Market... happy hour so downed a few peach bellinis & made our way to the car park very near The Royal Albert Hall... only a 9 minute walk...more stretching!!! Was a little stiff but nothing major... my poor sis struggled big time so we took her wheel chair...
    Gosh.. realised just how inaccessible London is if you are disabled ... nightmare... concert started at 8.30pm.... Mark Knopfler struggling with back pain.. he shuffled a few steps & stood for a few songs but sat for most of it. The band/musicians
    were fabulous... Mark himself was a little dimished with age but boy can he play that guitar...
    We were in a box with some folks from New Zealand who were a hoot.... kept taking photos of me & my twin sis and we exchanged details... such a fun night... & yes I did get a little few hip moves going!!! He finished at 11pm...We got home at 1.30am... a long day but so good... My hip never played up at all & is fine this morning...now my voice ... that’s a different matter... too much singing

Hoping everyone is doing well & enjoying life again... gradually!!

• Like Like x 9
    Last edited: May 23, 2019
  14. JennyLynne

JennyLynne post-grad

Sounds like an amazing day and night!! A well behaved hip makes it all the better

Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  15. Fit4Family

Fit4Family graduate

Sounds like a fabulous time!!

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  16. Carriemay60

Carriemay60 post-grad

Canada Canada
    Sounds like you had a blast! That is a pretty big hurrah to celebrate your new hip but I sure feel for your sister struggling so bad. I wouldn't go back to that pain for anything, ever!

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  17. Layla

Layla FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

Whew...that was a looong day and you did well, that's awesome!
    Thanks for updating so those behind you can see there is life after THR. Even at only 2 months post op.
    Hope you have a great day and weekend!
    @Hoppy Nanny

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  18. Hoppy Nanny

@Carriemay60
    My sis was in so much pain ... I was thinking how in just 2 months I’ve gone from almost not being able to get up from a chair without throwing up to doing anything at all with no pain at all in my hip...I’ve been up & at it today & she’s had to stay in bed with pain...
    This surgery is a game changer, for sure.

• Like Like x 5
    • Agree Agree x 1
  19. Carriemay60

Carriemay60 post-grad

Canada Canada
    I know you said she is seeing your surgeon soon but has she decided if she is having the surgery? Does she need one or two done? If you both get all fixed up I'm thinking you'll be terrorising Bognor Regis! :egypdance::egypdance:

• Funny Funny x 2
  20. Hoppy Nanny

@Carriemay60
    Sis only needs one hip done... she’s had both knees done (one of which still causes real problems). She will have the surgery but she’s doing the evasion ‘dance’ that we all do prior to doing the deed!!!
    Yep, Bognor Regis... beware!!!

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1