BoneSmart® Hip / Knee Replacement Forum
Joint Replacement Patient Advocacy
and Online Community
  1. Announcing BoneSmart's NEW Joint Surgeon Locator tool

We are pleased to now offer a tool to help you find just the right surgeon for your needs.

Read more about this in this announcement:

Dismiss Notice

[THR] Well I’ve got my 2nd hip now

Discussion in 'Hip Replacement Recovery Area' started by Hoppy Nanny, Mar 21, 2019.

1. Hoppy Nanny

Hoppy Nanny Sr Bonesmartie

United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Day 2 today... operation went well... didn’t feel a thing & today I’ve been up walking on zimmer first & then crutches... was going swimmingly well until the pain set in tonight! wow... can’t sleep... guess it’s that Day 3 feeling!

Hospital is fab & all staff are amazing... no complaints there.

Hope everyone is doing well... will catch up soon x

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. Carriemay60

Carriemay60 post-grad

Canada Canada
    Happy to see you out of surgery sporting some nice new parts! Don't forget to ask for ice :flwrysmile:

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  3. Jaycey

Jaycey SUPER MODERATOR Moderator

@Hoppy Nanny Welcome to the other side again and to the double hippie club! Be sure and ask for your medication when you know it should be taken. If that medication isn't working - ask for an alternative. It can take awhile to fine your own pain management cocktail.

Here are your recovery articles in case you need a reminder:

Hip Recovery: The Guidelines

1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now, they are almost certainly temporary
    2. Control discomfort:
    rest
    elevate
    ice
    take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)​
    3. Do what you want to do BUT
    a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you
    b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.​
    4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of this BoneSmart philosophy for sensible post op therapy
    5. Here is a week-by-week guide for Activity progression for THRs
    6. Access these pages on the website

Pain management and the pain chart
    Healing: how long does it take?
    Chart representation of THR recovery

Dislocation risk and 90 degree rule
    Energy drain for THRs
    Pain and swelling control: elevation is the key

Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it

Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds
    Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

BIG TIP: Hips actually don't need any exercise to get better. They do a pretty good job of it all on their own if given half a chance. Trouble is, people don't give them a chance and end up with all sorts of aches and pains and sore spots. All they need is the best therapy which is walking and even then not to excess.

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery. While members may create as many threads as they like in a majority of BoneSmart's forums, we ask that each member have only one recovery thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review history before providing advice.

4. SarahBee

SarahBee senior

United States United States
    Congratulations on your THR. Have a restful, healing day.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  5. Hoppy Nanny

Thanks Jaycey & Carriemay.... just taken some painkiller... waiting for the pain to subside xx

• Like Like x 2
  6. Layla

Layla FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

:welome: Welcome to Recovery! Congratulations on the new hip.
    I hope you ended up getting some sleep last night. First days can be rough.
    Wishing you comfort as you begin your healing journey.
    Hugs :friends:
    @Hoppy Nanny

7. GrannyC

GrannyC post-grad

Congratulations on the new hip! It sounds like you are doing very well and hopefully getting the surgery pain under control by the time you read this.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  8. Hoppy Nanny

Thanks everyone... going home today ... couldn’t sleep the last two nights in the bed ( hurt my back!) so sat in the chair next to the bed & got up every couple of hours to walk & exercise... so at least had a few hours sleep.

My meds have been reduced over the last day & going home on paracetamol & codeine....hoping that will be sufficient.... I can add ibuprofen but they affect my stomach badly.. will see how it goes!

Hubby & daughter picking me up at 11.30 so brekkie, wash & home. The hospital & all the staff at the Nuffield in Chichester are amazing... couldn’t have asked for better care...so grateful. The pain has been ok... couple of really ‘ phew.. I’d forgotten this’ moments...!!!

Hoping everyone on the March THR’s are doing well.... will probably catch up during the wee small hours of the inevitable sleep deprivation.

Once again BS has been there to remind me of this progression & how to cope.. thanks everyone!! xx

• Like Like x 4
  9. Mojo333

Mojo333 FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

Glad all went well @Hoppy Nanny :)

Sending healing vibes your way!:ok:

• Like Like x 1
  10. Hoppy Nanny

Thanks Mojo!! x

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  11. Layla

Layla FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

Good evening to you!
    Assuming your home by now, resting comfortably in your own space. I hope the car ride and getting inside your home went well for you.

It's nice to read your hospital experience was nice also. Mine was too, I felt fortunate.
    I've read some sad stories here about the opposite.
    Thanks for the update, stop by in the wee hours if it suits you. Lights never go out here.
    Hugs and Happy Healing!
    @Hoppy Nanny

• Like Like x 1
  12. Constanze

Constanze graduate

Germany Germany
    Hello @Hoppy Nanny ,
    I was very happy to read about you again on bonesmart. I remember your first recovery thread for your first hip. My left hip replacement was in April 2015. I don't need a right hip replacement (yet) and am doing fine. I work, drive, and perform triathlon sport as normal. Bognor Regis is in southern England, isn't it. Must be a nice place to live. I've been to Kent, Devon, Cornwall and the London area several times in a lifetime. My English husband bought a house in Lincoln this year which he is letting out to a family at the moment. Maybe when we're both retired (he's retired already and I'l work until 2022), we'll move in.
    Do carry on reporting about your second hip recovery. I'd be interested in learning how you are getting on.
    Best
    Constanze

13. Hoppy Nanny

Thanks so much @Layla....and @Constanze
    I’m settling down to recovery... first day home wasn’t good... in pain.. so I added codeine to the mix & it’s evened it out’.... nowhere seems comfy to lay or sit & emotional tiredness took its toll.... However, since then it’s steady & went out for small walk to the beach ( rest in wheelchair)... was so lovely & sunny... it made a huge difference to my mood (poor hubby taking all the flack!).
    Had some friends in to visit this afternoon so going to pop myself into bed for an hour...hard working this doing not much... thanks for your support xxx

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. Carriemay60

Carriemay60 post-grad

Canada Canada
    (Ugh! Tagging isn't working!!) Hubs and I went out for fish & chips and I started a conversation about the near future. I feel like such a drag. My husband is Welsh so has many of your values and morals. His answers about every topic were: "This is where we are", "I will do whatever is necessary to support you", etc., etc. We are 58 and 64 years old. I still feel like a leech needing so much help but despite reminding him how my 1st recovery was and the gruesome details of needing a bit of pee wiped up off the floor because I couldn't move fast enough etc., I learned he is there for me. I am sure your husband is too. I also get in a big way that it is so hard to ask for help.

I love that you are seeing some sun and some fresh air. I can only hope I get so lucky! :flwrysmile:

• Like Like x 3
  15. Constanze

Constanze graduate

Germany Germany
    Oh @Hoppy Nanny, I can imagine the beach helps you recover by improving your mood. How lovely. Yes, indeed, supportive husbands are a treasure. My husband performed the water changes of my fishtank (I have tropical fish - discus fish, guppies, neon fish etc.) during my recovery. It's amazing how early you people go home. No wonder you need support at home. In a few days, you will feel a lot better and will be walking more. Good recovery!

16. Hoppy Nanny

Know what you mean @Carriemay60... I hate being always the ‘needy’ one in our relationship.. however, like your hubby mine says he signed up for ‘better or worse’ 48 years ago! They are definitely ‘keepers’

The 2nd time around is easier Carriemay... I’m more confident in the new hip & now recover is slow but it’s only a week today & Im up, making myself a coffee waiting for the house to rise... walking is easy, sitting is ok for a while. Yesterday I only took 8 paracetamol & two codeine & the pain was minimal... I know that can change quickly so will pay attention to my body...
    Next Monday staples are coming out.

Today I’m having a short car ride to a local park with a lovely restaurant & will have a little walk followed by the wheelchair & a coffee whilst the sun is out.

When is your op hun?

Thanks for caring...xxx

• Like Like x 2
  17. Hoppy Nanny

@Constanze
    Yes, supportive hubbies are the best...
    I came home on day 3 which is the norm here... to be honest I think it’s long enough as there is not too much ‘nursing’ involved in recovery and I was so glad to be home in my bed & with my girlies!!

Yes, Bognor Regis is on the South Coast & we live West of Bognor close to the cathedral town of Chichester... the sunniest spot in the UK & it’s living up to its reputation this week... beautiful weather just right for recuperation.

Where do you live now??? So, retirement in Lincolnshire sounds good... nice & flat for walking & lots of countryside.

Thanks for your support, it so helps... xxx

18. Constanze

Constanze graduate

Germany Germany
    @Hoppy Nanny ,
    I live in a village near Flörsheim on the Main river more or less mid-way between Frankfurt and Wiesbaden.
    Actually, at first we were looking at houses in southern England, Devon to be precise, but my husband found out that in Lincolnshire one could get more spacious houses with larger gardens around them for the money. Besides, as you say, it's not hilly, it's flat - and roads are wider. Better for driving, cycling and jogging. While summers may be less warm, they have milder winters (I dread the freezing cold without snow which is common in the Rhine-Main area). We went to Lincoln last January and the snowdrops were already blossoming, the crocuses where sort of starting. We met the previous owners of our house, and the woman told me about a rhododendron in the garden which blossoms as early as February. I very much look forward to the time when I can move there.
    Enjoy the fine whether by the sea while recovering.
    Constanze

19. tollertwins

tollertwins member

The first week is the WORST! I also had the day 3-6 “a truck hit me” issues. But halfway thru week 2 I ditched everything but Tylenol and ice during the day.

We had a really warm spell at the end of that first week, and hubs moved my favorite chair out onto the porch. It was lovely and helped w the mood quite a bit.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  20. mollymum

mollymum junior member

Glad to hear all is as well as can be, Hoppy Nanny.
    Christine

• Friendly Friendly x 1