Lounge Doctor
Ask the Expert Webinar

THR Well, here I am, 8 days and counting

littlesun

Country
Canada Canada
Hello again, Keightym, Mojo333, Teacher Jim, and Layla.

I've since had my surgery and have been recovering for the last week. I'll need to start a recovery thread soon. To be honest, I'm just a bit (a lot) tired, and have stayed away from the computer for the most part because my tendency is to look for morbid things concerning my surgery, and of course this is counterproductive!

We'll see you on my recovery thread!
Thanks again everyone that helped calm me before the big day. I truly appreciate it!

OP
OP
L

littlesun

Country
Canada Canada
I still find this whole thing very surreal, and to be quite honest very frustrating.

I had my operation last week LTHR, posterior, and have been recovering in a predictable manner. What I find difficult still is that the pains I'm having now, although not at all severe are still more than what I had the previous few weeks going in to surgery. I'm not even sure they feel like different pains. I know the bone on bone sensations are gone, but it seems that pain in the general area is still there. I actually didn't have severe bone on bone pain on a regular basis, just occasionally.

I also have more pain on the non operated side that appeared two weeks before surgery that hasn't gone away which is a bit concerning.
On the up side, I've graduated from using a walker on the first two days, to one crutch. For the past 5 days I've been able to stand on without crutches to do the dishes, brush my teeth, etc.

What I find hard to bear is the lack of decent sleep and the movement limitations. This coupled with a recent air quality issue in my area has made the living quarters uncomfortable on many counts since I also have asthma. The whole 90 degrees and foot crossing the center-line restrictions is very frustrating!

Anyways, to be fair, and to those that may be looking for an upside, things could be far worse. I've had no swelling in my leg, I've essentially only taken Tylenol and Celebrex for pain meds, except for Tramadol once in the mornings.

I think the take away is that if one can control their outlook and try to remain positive, things will work out for the best.

Celle

Country
New Zealand New Zealand
Hello, @littlesun .
I have moved your post from your pre-op thread and used it to start your recovery thread.
Please continue to post about your recovery in this thread from now on.

Here are our recovery guideoines, to help you:

Hip Recovery: The Guidelines
1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now, they are almost certainly temporary
2. Control discomfort:
rest
ice
take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)​

3. Do what you want to do BUT
a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you​
b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.​

4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of these

5. Try to follow this

6. Access these pages on the website

Pain management and the pain chart
Healing: how long does it take?
Chart representation of THR recovery

Dislocation risk and 90 degree rule
Energy drain for THRs
Pain and swelling control: elevation is the key
Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it
Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

BIG TIP: Hips actually don't need any exercise to get better. They do a pretty good job of it all on their own if given half a chance. Trouble is, people don't give them a chance and end up with all sorts of aches and pains and sore spots. All they need is the best therapy which is walking and even then not to excess.

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery.

While members may create as many threads as they like in the majority of BoneSmart’s forums, we ask that each member have only One Recovery Thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review the member’s history before providing advice, so please post any updates or questions you have right here in this thread.

Pumpkln

Country
United States United States
@littlesun
Your will notice I have merged your newest post with your Recovery thread.
We prefer to have one thread so we can look back an read your story before replying, and better advise you.
Please bookmark you thread to make it easier for you to fine.
Thanks!

Sound like you are on your way to a full recovery, with all the aches, pains, and loss of sleep that most of us have after this major surgery.
Read all the articles Celle has left you, they will answer most of your concerns and questions.

leejaa

FORUM ADVISOR
Forum Advisor
Country
@littlesun , you seem very active for so early in your recovery journey. You had a major surgery even though you are doing well the bone and muscle and tendon healing still has to occur. There is some major carpentry involved in a hip replacement and bones going through controlled trauma. It takes time for it all to heal. Your discomfort is a sign that your hip is telling you that you are overdoing.

Please read the articles provided above by clicking on each topic. There is lots of information that will help in your journey to full recovery. Have a peaceful evening.

Mojo333

SENIOR FORUM ADVISOR
Senior Forum Advisor
Country
Oh, @littlesun
You are right...try not to worry.:console2:
Lots of frustrating bits to these early days with the lack of sleep (Lord, do I know!) and the restrictions, etc...
A snapshot in time and all temporary.:) :-) (:
Keep the faith, friend.
Healing mojo coming your way.

Layla

SENIOR FORUM ADVISOR
Senior Forum Advisor
Country
I still find this whole thing very surreal, and to be quite honest very frustrating.
It will slowly ease. Count on that.

I know the bone on bone sensations are gone, but it seems that pain in the general area is still there.
Power tools were used. You’re going to have some pain. Try to roll with it and be patient. It will get better.

I also have more pain on the non operated side that appeared two weeks before surgery that hasn't gone away which is a bit concerning.
Your right hip was most likely overcompensating to accommodate your deteriorating hip. This throws off your gait and your body is now slowly readjusting. Give it time and swap out your most frequently worn shoes for new ones as the old shoes have the old gait pattern worn in.

What I find hard to bear is the lack of decent sleep
This is common and will improve also with time. We need a big dose of patience in early recovery.
I think the take away is that if one can control their outlook and try to remain positive, things will work out for the best.
Wise words, now keep reminding yourself of this. :wink: I think you’re doing very well!

Teacher Jim

Country
Hey little sun...
Your surgery was posterior, a much more complicated and recovery time lengthy procedure. Please try to give it all the patience you can muster? I've done some research into how find an attitude of gratitude in your life can actually boost the "feel good" brain chemicals endorphins and seratonins. I know when I find even little things in my life for which I'm grateful, I feel a little better. About 15 years ago, I found a beautiful little stone that just fits in my hand. That stone became my "gratitude rock"; when I put my hand in my pocket and feel that stone, I find something in my life I'm grateful for. It's worked for the last 15 years. Maybe find yourself a gratitude rock on one of your outside therapy walks?
All the best!

SwimHip

Country
@Teacher Jim, I’m not sure that a posterior approach is necessarily much more complicated or recovery time lengthy procedure. Both my hips were posterior approach, minimally invasive, computer navigated. Not complicated nor lengthy recovery.
@littlesun, I hear you about the lack of decent sleep. So difficult to get comfortable, right? Sounds like you’re doing as well as can be with pain control and your positive outlook. The new aches and pains due to surgery/healing are definitely disconcerting. You will be fine. I hope you enjoy the rest of the weekend.

OP
OP
L

littlesun

Country
Canada Canada
@Teacher Jim, thanks for the tips about the attitude about gratitude. In reality so many of us, myself included, are quite lucky to live in a free and democratic society and to have the means to have an operation like this. The pain, worry, and lack of sleep really are just first world problems, and I sometimes have to remind myself of that.
@SwimHip thanks for the encouraging words. My weekend is shaping up fine now! I wish the pools were open for swimming though. I could really use some decent exercise once my incision heals.

OP
OP
L

littlesun

Country
Canada Canada
@littlesun , you seem very active for so early in your recovery journey...Your discomfort is a sign that your hip is telling you that you are overdoing.
Thanks @leejaa, I'm only doing what feels comfortable, actually. That and I'm kinda going a bit crazy just sitting and lying down all day.
That being said, I've been out of the house the last couple of days walking a few blocks with the cane. In the house it seems I don't need the cane much either, except for getting up off the couch (which is a bit low).

Mojo333

SENIOR FORUM ADVISOR
Senior Forum Advisor
Country
:wave: my new hippy pal.
First days ARE rather jarring, was for me.
Getting around a bit on our own builds confidence...I did some couch-back cruising along with countertop cruising mainly due to the pain meds and worrying about losing my balance.
It will keep getting better and you will keep getting stronger.
Hope the next week sees more improvements.
:SUNsmile:

OP
OP
L

littlesun

Country
Canada Canada
@Mojo333 Absolutely! I think I will venture out today again and see how I fare. So I take it that you're completely recovered now? In your avatar you look quite fit, so that can only be a positive thing for recovery I assume.

Mojo333

SENIOR FORUM ADVISOR
Senior Forum Advisor
Country
Yes, I am doing very well and have a busy labor intensive job and a happy weekend outdoor life.:loveshwr:
Things got much better after 4 months, even better at 6 month, 8 months, and niggles and issues up to over a year.
The trick now is to Not Overdo It:unsure:
It's a fine line so baby steps now add up to great strides.
Lots of healing happening, and rest, ice, elevation, and short intervals of activity will help the most.
Keep your patience muscle flexed and keep the faith...:happydance:

New

Active Antibacterial

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
TKR. 2019
Recent bookmarks

Top Bottom