Hike’s Pre-Op

I don’t know where the bone on bone spot is in my X-ray
It's not a 'spot', it's the entire joint! I've highlighted a couple of points that probably causing more intense issues. Plus a bone spur which will do the same.

The yellow arrow points to the bone spur
the red arrows point to two points of extreme contact as you can see from the say the bone has gone white
the blue arrows, if you look carefully, point to an area where the bone is almost like a cog so when you walk, obviously it's going to grate there

Cogs
cog wheels.JPG

hikej.jpeg

since the femoral nerve runs near the joint and branches out through leg, if this is the cause of the consistent leg pains. If the joint itself could be aggravating the surrounding nerve.
Lots of people don't realise how close the sciatic nerve is to the hip. As you can see, it runs right down the back of the joint, actually lying on the capsule. So any inflammation or pain will naturally cause a reaction in the nerve which is BIG, larger than the thickness of your thumb at that point!
This is the back view of this hip joint, btw.

sciatic nerve 1.jpg

@Josephine - thank you for the details. It is appreciated! It is a bit of a mess, eh? I thought sciatica only ran down back of leg, not the front. Now that I have a clear understanding of what’s happening I can handle it better. I can finally stop chasing my tail trying to figure out what’s going on.

Well time for me to take a break here. Thank you so much for your support. It really is appreciated.

My first recovery went very well and I’m fairly certain I will have the same experience this time. Reading recoveries of people in gyms, driving, etc. not even a week post-op is giving me cause for pause. I’m an overachiever and I’m already getting the sense that perhaps I took too much time devoted to the healing process or that all the restrictions I put on myself delayed the timing of getting back to life with my first go round. I’m going to want to get my dogs back to me as soon as possible and I know I’ll be battling with pushing myself as it is.

I know every recovery is different but, for me, I need to be careful. I know myself and I will push when I shouldn’t if I’ve got it in my head I’m not even close to being as mobile as others and get impatient with what is actually a normal process. I’m not even post-op and I’m confusing myself!

Currently the pain can be awful at times - shoveling snow was not well liked by my hip. I’m already experiencing sadness not having my dogs around during early recovery and it’s not even time yet! I’m aware I’m a bit of a train wreck at the moment. I’m tired, I hurt, and I’m scared. Time to step back and just breathe for a bit.

Breaks are good @hikejunkie. I agree we need to be careful and not compare ourselves to others but we can identify with them. Your key is knowing yourself. Try not to overthink things too much. In terms of dogs, I think it is good that you are placing them elsewhere so they will be well taken care of.

You are right, time to step back and breathe. We don’t know what our second recoveries will be like. However, we do know we will make it through. We all get the train wreck moments. Try to find a distraction of some sort today-whatever works for you.

Aww, @hikejunkie
I'm so sorry you're tired, hurting and afraid.
It will all work out. Please focus on that.
Consider trying to give it all a rest for a bit if you can. Easier said than done.
I'd try to comfort myself in thinking....I've time to worry about that later, not now.
I call it my Scarlett O'Hara frame of mind :heehee:

Please stop by and vent, cry, kick or scream if you want.... we'll be here to lift you.
Hugs along with warm wishes for comfort and peace of mind :console2:

Hugs and take care of yourself :console2:

Just wanted to add another problem I've been encountering lately and that's going down stairs. My leg has been giving out and I have to hold onto the railing for dear life. Anyone else? Sssheeesh...is there no end to this madness. Sorry guys, I had no sleep last night, tossed and turned like a fish out of water...everything hurts so much when I lay down. I am so counting the days till my time in the "theater".

That "giving out" is very common with bad joints. Keep that good grip on the railing and try to avoid stairs. Walk slowly as it's possible for your bad leg to give out when you least expect it! You might want to use a can or walker just to be safe.

Understand the break...find some other distractions...come back closer to date for some support and cheers. Even BS can become overwhelming when you are on the wait.
Need to keep anxiety down.
Hugs:console2:

Anxiety continues to be a sporadic battle. Meditation helps but I’m consistently grounding myself to get out of these doom and gloom thought patterns.

Getting labs and EKG done today. After that, getting taxes done. Have to go to hospital for labs - I’ve been like a hermit trying to avoid the flu so not a place I particularly want to be. Had dentist on Saturday and the receptionist was coughing. I said “are you SICK!?!” in this crazed tone. She wasn’t but while I waited I was thinking I better get a grip.

I’m so crabby this morning. Just want to lay on my sofa and stare at the ceiling. Onward...

That anxiety creeps up as the clock ticks closer, doesn't it?
This is going to be a good thing, @hikejunkie .
The chronic pain puts us in such a dark place.
I wasn't doing 20,000 steps on fit bit one week post op, or hitting gym the week after.
I have these hips time to heal, slowly and purposefully...and I feel like I can anything I want now.
I still try to use some discretion as I want these things to last forever, but my hip pain was gone DAY one.
Sorry you are crabby and down, but who can blame you.
Things are about to start healing up so you can get your life back:yes:

Hang in there @hikejunkie. March 6 is coming. I hope you will find your second recovery to be smooth. Mine is much easier than first and was worth the wait. The anxiety ahead of time does get to us.

Glad you are getting basics done ahead of time. I’ll be doing my taxes in next couple of weeks. Use an on line service. Last year was first year I did without claiming my husband, had to pay for first time in life. Family joke was that I finally knew how much John was worth!

Just keep trying to move forward the next couple of weeks. And some crabby time is ok. I’m probably going to have a bit of that staring at the ceiling time today. I’m grouchy trying to figure out if I do need a refill for something besides Tylenol before I go back for two week follow up, and you can only get 7 days and can doctor just send to pharmacy and do I need to find someone to go to doctor’s office to pick up script? I think doing taxes will be easier!

@Mojo333 - yeah, I know it will be a good thing. Sure was with the left one. Thanks for reminding me. I do laugh at my pathetic self at times so will need to add more of those giggle emojis. :heehee: A friend of mine said yesterday “maybe you need to just go hide in a dark closet for a bit.” Ha!

@MammaT - I’ve been following your recovery and so glad to see all is well! With my last hip I recall having two weeks script of pain meds. Perhaps they’re doing shorter ones now. Hopefully they can call it in and someone can pick it up for you.

Odd thing with dentist. I guess they changed premeds to only two years postop and wouldn’t renew for me. Called doc office and they said it’s lifetime so they did script.

Yeah, who can figure out drugs in the US any more. Makes it very hard for doctors too.

Hiding in a dark closet does sound appealing at times-to keep the crazy people away from me!

My doctor said he could only prescribe one week at a time and hard copy was to be hand delivered to pharmacy worth Dr signature. I signed form allowing my better half to do this for me. I was able to get script as long as needed, I took up to six weeks...the last being only at night as I was back to work.
As I mentioned to MammaT, insurance balked on paying at one point but script was under twenty dollars so...

Meditation helps but I’m consistently grounding myself to get out of these doom and gloom thought patterns.

I'm with you. It's easier comforting someone else than myself. I don't know about you but I have to remind myself WHY I am having this done, sort of validating my decision. When the pain increases it's "let's get this over with!"

Man. Go to hospital offsite lab place. Check in. Hang out in waiting room. Get “officially” checked in. Hang out in waiting room. Get labs and EKG. Hang out in kitchen. See nurse who goes over history, current meds, etc. Hang out in kitchen. See nurse practitioner. Hang out in waiting room. Get my packet, pre-op script for nose stuff and pre-op wash stuff. Leave. 1.5 hours!

They had this cool thing that you place your palm over and it reads it. Very Star Wars like.

@Bumblebee - I have my clearance appt the day of your surgery. I hear you on the reminding yourself. After all the up and down today my hip is like “YO!! Stop moving!”

I've got my pre-op 13March.....was told to allow two and half hours for it......think that's just for blood tests, health questionnaire and talk to physio.....probably a lot of hanging around time factored into that too! No mention of 'joint school' when they do a class about the op and restrictions etc.....does everyone have this? and is it usually separate from the pre-op? Not worried if I don't have it....learned so much from B/S I could probably hold the seminar for them :heehee:

I had the hospital joint class, very informative. My pre op at the hosital is Friday....rather close to my surgery date. I won't have time for 5 full days of nose stuff.:shrug:

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Dave4562
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom