BoneSmart® Hip / Knee Replacement Forum
Joint Replacement Patient Advocacy
and Online Community
Dismiss Notice

Shopping on Amazon Prime Day July 15-16?

Make purchases through smile.amazon and Amazon will donate a portion of your purchase amount to BoneSmart!

Sign up at Smile.amazon.com and indicate our parent organization, The Foundation for the Advancement in Research in Medicine, Inc. All of the donation funds received from Amazon purchases are transferred to BoneSmart to help keep us up and running.

[THR] Weightlifting post THR (only one hip)

Discussion in 'Hip Replacement Recovery Area' started by jamief, Jun 11, 2019.

1. jamief

jamief new member

United States United States
    I looked everywhere for information about weightlifting after THR. I didn't find much, so I thought I'd post my experience here for any who care to check it out.

I'm 13 months out and I just restarted lifting weights again 2 weeks ago. Today was the first time I attempted the deadlift, my favorite exercise.

Here is what happened with the deadlift: warm up sets of 5 reps, progressive weight from 95 lbs, 135 lbs, 185 lbs, 225 lbs

I was then able to do 1 rep at 275 lbs.

I experienced no pain or any sort of feeling of instability. The way I do deadlifts, my thighs are not ever at 90 degrees, I have my glutes, hamstrings, back, grip, shoulders, arms the whole muscle chain engaged before bringing the bar off the floor.

It's 3 hours after my workout now and my hip and muscles still feel great. I'm a 48 year old male.

Best wishes to everyone. I am not advocating that anyone do this, I'm just posting my experience.

• Like Like x 2
  2. Tarajeane

Tarajeane junior member

Thank you for your post! I am 4 days post and can’t wait to start working out again:)
    Tara

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. Going4fun

Going4fun senior

Multiple times I've increased exercise and my hip didn't react til a week later ... two weeks later ... And then I had to back off ... So see if you can be patient.

• Agree Agree x 2