TKR Weight loss while recovering

Golflady

Country
United States United States
Having TKR in 10 days. Do most patients experience weight loss post op? Hopefully I will loose a few pounds while recovering.

I have lost 7 lbs I’m not dieting but eating nutritious foods 3 meals a day

Hello @Golflady - and :welome:

Do you have date for your knee replacement? If so, please tell us when it is and and which knee it is, so we can make a signature for you? Knowing the exact date will help us to advise you appropriately in the future.
Thank you.:flwrysmile:

Some people do lose weight during early recovery, because their appetited is reduced, but recovery is not a time for dieting, because your body needs a good diet, so it can heal and repair the trauma caused by surgery.

Hi @Golflady

I hope operation goes well.

I have lost more than a stone since my procedure 7 weeks ago today, I'm glad as was too chubby, think it is the meds, they dull your appetite.

Let me know how it goes, fingers crossed

I was hoping for a weight loss but it didn’t happen for me.

And, sometimes, just in the beginning, some people appear to gain weight, but it’s the swelling. Once that goes down that “gain” goes away.

A month or so before surgery my husband and went on very low fat diet. No big plan or recipes just keeping total fat for the day under 20 grams. We have a variety of foods chicken and turkey breasts ( thank goodness as Thanksgiving is coming!) potatoes without butter ( substitute butter buds) and dessert too! Did you know most pie filling is 0 grams of fat as is angel food cake! I have lost 35 pounds and my husband has lost 50 lbs! If you just be mindful of keeping it under 20 grams of fat there are lots of foods to enjoy. I truly feel better with every pound lost and I am sure it will help my TKR recovery as I’m lighter on my new knee!

Thanks for the information.

Do you have date for your knee replacement? If so, please tell us when it is and and which knee it is, so we can make a signature for you? Knowing the exact date will help us to advise you appropriately in the future.

Some people do lose weight during early recovery, because their appetited is reduced, but recovery is not a time for dieting, because your body needs a good diet, so it can heal and repair the trauma caused by surgery.

I am having the right knee replaced Nov. 16. Looking forward to be on the other side of this. I had a three month wait because of a cortisone injection. Have gained some weight from quarantine and also not being able to be as active due to pain. Hoping my appetite is reduced during recovery.

@Jane66 Hopefully I will loose a few too. Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:

Right knee Nov 16

Wishing you a successful surgery and a smooth pain controlled recovery. I hope we see you on the shiny (recovery) side when you are up to posting.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
tibiaplateauaft
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom