BoneSmart® Hip / Knee Replacement Forum
Joint Replacement Patient Advocacy
and Online Community
  1. RATE YOUR SURGEON ON OUR NEW JOINT SURGEON LOCATOR

Your opinion matters so please click on this announcement to find out how to rate the surgeons you have worked with

You could also go to the Surgeon Locator via the blue nav bar at the top - find the tab "Surgeon Locator"

Dismiss Notice

Weight loss before hip replacement

Discussion in 'Hip Replacement Pre-Op Area' started by Flwrgirl, Jun 5, 2019.

1. Flwrgirl

Flwrgirl new member

United States United States
    I was told by 5 orthopedic doctors that I need to loss 100lbs before I can have surgery. I lost 52lbs. I am stuck at 280lbs. I am in so much pain and doctors will not help. I have been told to keeping losing weight and then I can have the surgery. Any advice? If you know of an orthopedic surgeon who will operate on “obese” patients in Atlanta, Georgia please let me know. Thank you.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  2. leejaa

leejaa post-grad

Look for another OS - try calling different surgeons and see what they say. You weight loss of 52# is fantastic but it is hard to do when pain limits your ability to move. I hope someone here may be able to recommend a doctor in your area- did you check for OS at Emory - it is supposed to be so big I would think someone there had experience with larger patients. I am so sorry for your pain and frustration.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Ptarmigan

Ptarmigan member

@Flwrgirl I am sure one - or more - of the site moderators and medically qualified posters will be along shortly to provide you with some information and encouragement.

I just wanted to say that 52 pounds is my weight loss goal and I admire you so much for achieving that! (I have only lost 18 pounds, and am waiting out a plateau, too.) Most people don’t understand how hard it is to lose weight when you are managing insomnia, chronic inflammation, and are limited by a dicey hip. I feel fortunate that my GP is helping me with medication, and that PT is helping me be more active until I can get my surgery. It’s a real challenge to manage the pain of a pre-op hip; the biggest improvements I find day-to-day happen when I snatch sleep as it comes, and focus on making rest peaceful when sleep won’t cooperate.

Wishing you peace of mind, a breakthrough in your weight loss plateau, and doctors who truly support you!

• Friendly Friendly x 2
  4. alexthecat

alexthecat MODERATOR Administrator

Unfortunately, I don't have any recommendations for you, but @Jamie may. She has connections with lots of surgeons all over the country.

5. Jaycey

Jaycey SUPER MODERATOR Moderator

United Kingdom United Kingdom
    It is impossible to lose a significant amount of weight when you have a bad hip. I agree with others who have posted - find a more compassionate surgeon who will work with you. You have already lost weight - proof you are serious about this surgery. All the best in finding your surgeon.

• Friendly Friendly x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. Flwrgirl

Flwrgirl new member

Thank you for the encouragement.
    I was diagnosed with OA in both hips I began PT in the pool. It works. I continued for months and I will start back in a few weeks. My last X-ray showed bone on bone in both hips.

I have seen surgeons from Emory, Piedmont, OrthoAtlanta, Gwinnett Hip and Peachtree .

Thank you again. I needed your comments.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Jamie

Jamie ADMINISTRATOR Administrator

@Flwrgirl....this is one of the most difficult situations for us to help with. There are some increased risks associated with obese patients, so insurance companies and hospitals put tremendous pressure on surgeons to not perform surgery on patients above a specified BMI (usually around 40).

You have done a fantastic job in losing more than 50 pounds. And it will be helpful if you can get back in the pool for more exercise. As I'm sure you know, the secret to weight loss is usually a balance between increasing your activity and decreasing your calorie intake. However, the activity part can be nearly impossible when joints are bone on bone.

Please tell me your current BMI or your height so I can compute it. I will pass this information on to our BoneSmart CEO. He has many contacts with surgeons and may know of someone near you who will work with you.

In the meantime, I suggest you use our Joint Surgeon Locator (link is in the blue navbar at the top of the page) to locate surgeons within driving distance for you and start calling. You can ask the appointment scheduler if the surgeon works with obese patients and they should be able to tell you. If not, you can ask to speak with the doctor's nurse. You may have to leave a message. This information will eventually be contained within our Joint Surgeon Locator database. But we are still in the first phase of release for the program and we're not there yet. There are no other resources available that would give you this information. We will be unique that way when the Locator is fully functional.

Don't give up! Stay in touch with us and we'll do our best to get you the help you need.

• Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  8. mainegirl1

mainegirl1 member

@Flwrgirl . Keep at it.
    I was told last November by the PA who works for my eventual OS that I needed to follow the ELF Diet.. He was so dismissive and condescending. I was furious. He did give me a cortisone shot that was directed by x ray that he said would work for a while.
    Big deal. 9 days was all it lasted. My BMI was 43.
    He told me to meet with my Primary Care Provider to discuss nutrition.. I have always been big.. And am truly large boned though also fat! My PCP was so incensed at how he treated me that she called the OS office and lo in May I had a meeting with the OS who said that while weight is a concern for anaesthesia I have had no problems with it and he had no issues with my weight.. I got my BMI down to 38 with just being mad and determined.
    My issue was the same as yours.. Be more active.. exercise was what I was told by that punk PA( there are good PA's he was not one of them).. OK then I am in agony.. Exercise is fun when it does not hurt! Not something we want to do when it does hurt!

If you find a surgeon that you trust just keep at it.. They may notice you are working at being more healthy and doing your part.

That ELF diet I was not familiar with.. he had sneered.. eat less food.. DOH.. You think I had not thought of that?

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  9. leejaa

leejaa post-grad

My BMI at this time is 43.4 (just figured it out on a bmi calculator) and it might have been up a few points when I saw the PA at my OS office. Nothing was said about weight loss before scheduling me. I will add that I have had both knees and one hip already replaced and my BMI was about the same. I know there are doctors out there that will do this surgery without making you wait any longer. I know you are trying to lose weight as am I at this time just for my own health but getting rid of pain would make that much easier and more enjoyable.

I hope you find a surgeon who understands how debilitating this pain is and does your surgery. Keep us posted.

• Like Like x 2
  10. Flwrgirl

Flwrgirl new member

Hi Jamie,

As of today I weigh 290 lbs and 5’5.
    Thank you for you assistance.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  11. mainegirl1

mainegirl1 member

@Flwrgirl any luck in finding a surgeon? Have you looked outside Atlanta? I have found some that published papers at Medstar Georgetown University Hospital..
    You may have to travel.. Its quite common for people to have to travel in Maine as joint replacements are only commonly done in one hospital.

• Like Like x 1
  12. SE Florida

SE Florida graduate

Hi @Flwrgirl, to make sure Jamie sees your posts that are directed to her, (this works for anyone you are trying to "tag") type @Jamie and she'll get back with you. So sorry you're having OS problems like this and hope you're able to get some relief soon!!! :flwrysmile:

13. Jamie

Jamie ADMINISTRATOR Administrator

That's a BMI of 48.3. Thank you and I'll check with our CEO to see if he knows of someone in the Atlanta (or nearby) area.

Do you have any other health issues I should know about? Diabetes? Heart condition? Lung problems?

Please do tag me when you respond so that I see your answer quickly.

14. Sparkly

Sparkly new member

@Flwrgirl I was told by the first surgeon I seen that I had to lose 100lbs, again like your guy very dismissive, told me go home loose the weight and prepare for surgery. I went to another surgeon , told him I had lost 25lbs since seeing the other guy and was continuing to lose, like you I worked out in a pool with a trainer, loved it. But had to stop 3 weeks ago. I've lost 38lbs and trying really hard to to hold it here, since I am totally homebound now. Keep calling Dr.s till you find one who is sympatic, the biggest reason they don't like to do the surgery on obese people is loss of blood he told me. But I think if you show them like me that you are trying really hard you will get somewhere. I'll be 6 weeks away from my surgery on Monday, think its will never come. Good luck to you, keep us posted.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  15. julesglass

julesglass senior

I agree with everyone else @Flwrgirl. Don't give up fight till you get a good surgeon. Be a bulldog for yourself. Bonesmart is here for you.

• Friendly Friendly x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  16. Flwrgirl

Flwrgirl new member

@Jamie

Hello, I do not have any health issues expect obesity, OA and vitamin D deficiency. No Diabetes, no high blood pressure, no heart conditions (had EKG).

17. Flwrgirl

Flwrgirl new member

@Sparkly
    Keep me posted on your upcoming surgery. Yay, you have it schedule.

Take care

18. Flwrgirl

Flwrgirl new member

@SE Florida . Thanks for tip on posting. I am still getting to the site. Thanks

19. Flwrgirl

Flwrgirl new member

@mainegirl1

I haven’t looked into any orthopedic surgeons out of state.

I read several articles about hip surgery for overweight persons: University of Massachusetts Medical-7/2017 Obese patients don't need to lose weight before total joint replacement.

20. julesglass

julesglass senior

Good evening @Flwrgirl. So looks like you've found a medical university to check out, that's good. I'm sure @Jamie can help with some details to look for in a good surgeon. You take care, stay with us here at bonesmart.