Lounge Doctor

TKR Weight lifting after TKRs

Pete 3403

Country
United States United States
Had right knee done feb 27 2020 and left Oct 7 2020 , started hiking and lifting again soon after my first . I know everyone is different, but wondering what some of the avid lifters continue to do after surgery, it seems great so far but changed to higher reps and lighter weight

ableman

Country
Hi, I had a TKR of my right knee done in fall 2018. I have been a lifelong lifter, age 70 now, and was in pretty good shape when I had it done. I let the joint heal for the first 9-12 months and did low intensity workouts.

At 18 months in I pretty much resumed my normal workout. That means I squat, although no more than 225lb, deadlift..as much as I can pick up, and do all the Olympic lifts including cleans, snatches, etc. I compete in masters track and field throwing shot put and discus, I'm 70 years old. I do some high intensity plyos and jump rope but on a 4 inch think close cell foam pad about 4x6. My strength levels are more effected by age than the tkr now and I am competitive up through the national level again in my events.

I've been at this for two years now and no problems so far. My TKR did use a tall post for stability due to joint deformity before the surgery. And, I was very clear with the surgeon my intentions so he was aware when he did the work.

I know of another person who throws hammer who has had both knees done and you can find a fair number of videos on youtube of older lifters with trk/hrp etc lifting heavy.

I obviously can't recommend that anyone follow my course. I may well need a revision in say 10 years when I'm 80 instead of 90 or beyond. But I don't care. I didn't go through the surgery to sit at home and watch tv. I did it so I could resume the life I lead as long as I can. No future is guaranteed.

I am wiling to be very honest about what I do and what the results have been.

LM90

Country
Hi, I had a TKR of my right knee done in fall 2018. I have been a lifelong lifter, age 70 now, and was in pretty good shape when I had it done. I let the joint heal for the first 9-12 months and did low intensity workouts.

At 18 months in I pretty much resumed my normal workout. That means I squat, although no more than 225lb, deadlift..as much as I can pick up, and do all the Olympic lifts including cleans, snatches, etc. I compete in masters track and field throwing shot put and discus, I'm 70 years old. I do some high intensity plyos and jump rope but on a 4 inch think close cell foam pad about 4x6. My strength levels are more effected by age than the tkr now and I am competitive up through the national level again in my events.

I've been at this for two years now and no problems so far. My TKR did use a tall post for stability due to joint deformity before the surgery. And, I was very clear with the surgeon my intentions so he was aware when he did the work.

I know of another person who throws hammer who has had both knees done and you can find a fair number of videos on youtube of older lifters with trk/hrp etc lifting heavy.

I obviously can't recommend that anyone follow my course. I may well need a revision in say 10 years when I'm 80 instead of 90 or beyond. But I don't care. I didn't go through the surgery to sit at home and watch tv. I did it so I could resume the life I lead as long as I can. No future is guaranteed.

I am wiling to be very honest about what I do and what the results have been.
wow, what a story
you are inspiring!

New

Active Antibacterial

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
LisaM
Recent bookmarks

Top Bottom