Watch 2019 JRAD Videos

Weekly Community Distance Meeting

Celle

Country
New Zealand New Zealand
It will be hard for people who are gregarious and who enjoy company, but we still have the internet, phones, snail mail, Skype and Zoom as ways to communicate with each other.
People in our village are going to have a distance meeting at 5 p.m.each week. It will take the place of our usual Happy Hour. We're all going to step outside our front doors with a glass of wine, beer (or even a cup or tea) and toast each other. We'll chat to our neighbours across a safe distance - across the street, or 2 metres away.

If libraries are closed, there are e-books on line, and there are plenty of new hobbies to take up, with on-line instruction as well.

Last edited by a moderator:

Sara61

Forum Advisor
Country
Portugal Portugal
As I live in tbe country with no close neighbours every sunday we host a video lunch date with our friends we do a skype conference call, initially we all thought it would be odd and what do you talk about ...but actually it's great fun and conversation flows easily and makes weekends feel so special we even toast each other xx

NightQuilter

Forum Advisor
Country
United States United States
We have a Friday Night Dinner group - 4 couples who usually go to the same restaurant every Friday. Now, we pick up food from said restaurant and eat together via Zoom. The Sainted Joe (hubs) thought it was a silly idea, but he's become quite a fan. Both of my book clubs are now also meeting by Zoom. We are in the midst of a pastor search for our church; conducting initial interviews by Zoom is "interesting," but I am getting a lot of practice on the app!

sistersinhim

Country
Our church is calling and texting back and forth between we members. It's not great, but at least we're keeping in touch. We are also searching for a pastor. We usually go to their churches and listen to a few sermons. That's not happening now, so things are happening slowly for that effort.

Jamie

ADMINISTRATOR
Senior Administrator
Country
My trainer is holding online workout sessions and I decided to start back with her on this format because now I don't have to drive 40 minutes each way for an in-person session. So hopefully I'll come out of the pandemic a bit healthier than I went in.

1585843148387.png

Constanze

graduate
Country
Germany Germany
@Celle, I love he idea of a distance meeting - with wine, tea, and all the rest of it. Excellent! Distance is the answer. So long as you keep the required distance, everything should work and you don't have to be locked up in your house or your flat. T

That's also the approach they have in Germany. This week, some shops opened again (in addition to food shops and pharmacies) with the requirement that the distance of 1.5 metres be kept. I live in the countryside so that distance keeping is easier. I, too, talk to my neighbours over the fence. Of course, in big cities and major connurbations this is harder.

By the way, since you are in New Zealand, tell me something about Newzealand. Me and my husband went to the northern island in 2016 and the southern island in 2017. We went on lots of tours, e.g. the scene where "Lord of the Rings" was made, boat trips down the "Sounds" etc., and we loved it.

During the pandemic crisis, I've read a post by a New Zealand in Quora (an internet forum for linguists and lots of other things you can join if you have a LinkedIn account) that the only airline in New Zealand "has once again become a domestic airline" and all New Zealanders employed by Virgin Australia have lost their jobs. Is this really true or exaggerated?

While I understand that it is wise not to allow international air travelling during a pandemic, this sounds crass, in other words, permanent. I mean, I learned that in about 18 months, we'll have a vaccine for Covid-19 (I actually work at a German medicines authority, and one of their official duties is to authorise clinical trials for new vaccines). However, there is of course the threat of the next pandemic. But we should have learned by then. Drastic restrictions could never be permanent. We are all human and have one planet. We have our culture, and international communication and understanding should be encouraged. Virtual contact (internet, WhatsApp, Skype) can only serve as a replacement (Ersatz as we say in German - also a foreign word in English for all I know). Languages and cultural competence can only be learned in real life.

In the meantime, I wish you, your family and friends all the best, stay safe and stay healthy - Constanze from Germany

OP
OP
Celle

Celle

Country
New Zealand New Zealand
During the pandemic crisis, I've read a post by a New Zealand in Quora (an internet forum for linguists and lots of other things you can join if you have a LinkedIn account) that the only airline in New Zealand "has once again become a domestic airline" and all New Zealanders employed by Virgin Australia have lost their jobs. Is this really true or exaggerated?
Air New Zealand, our national air line, is not the only airline in NZ. There are about 6 other, smaller airlines, but they are all "on hold" at the moment.

Since we have been in lockdown, with severe restrictions on travel, for almost 5 weeks, most travel by air has ceased. Air NZ has ceased all flights to smaller towns and the only airports open are in Auckland, Wellington, Christchurch, and Dunedin.

Since NZ's borders are closed, the only international flights Air NZ is doing are repatriation flights for NZ citizens returning from overseas. In similar fashion, other countries' airlines (Lufthansa, KLM, for example) have been allowed to organise repatriation flights for their citizens who were trapped in NZ by coronavirus.

Since Virgin Australia (an Australian airline) has stopped all flights, yes, its staff have lost their jobs.

Constanze

graduate
Country
Germany Germany
Thank you @Celle, for your explanation. So stay healthy, stay safe, and keep up the good communication despite this horrid corona crisis. I understand that we must whether this out for a long long time, months, if not years, and I hope it won't result in the loss of our achievements, our culture, our civilisation like peace among many countries, technical advancement in cancer treatment and in - yes - joint replacements. My new hip is brilliant. I can do marathons and triathlons. I forget whether you have a hip or a knee replacement. Whatever it is. I hope it's doing fine. Best Constanze

New

Active Antibacterial

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
isybrink
Recent bookmarks

Top Bottom