THR Week 4 update

Day 8 -yesterday my GP took over my pain meds as my OS wouldn’t respond to my phone calls. She put me on 1mg hydro morphine 3 times a day. I have now lost the hives, nausea and dizziness but I’m not sure if I can stretch the doses 8 hrs. Hoping i can as it is a controlled substance and I have been givenn10 days supply (opioids are highly regulated in BC Canada). I went for a 10 minute walk with my crutches yesterday and was so proud however, by evening I was in pain despite the pain meds. Feeling discouraged but back here today to read positive stories so I don’t feel sorry for myself. I have my first PT on the 19th But am on my own until then. I walk around with crutches throughout the day and was hoping to talk walks a couple times a day. I guess 10 minutes is too long:(

Hello, I‘m sorry you’re hurting. Please don’t be discouraged at only nine days post op. It’s such early days and you will have ups and downs. We learn by trial and error sometimes. Now that you know ten minutes was too much for you, cut it in half and s-l-o-w-l-y work your way back.

Ice and elevate today, that should bring you some relief. Icing is a great pain reliever as it helps lessen swelling, and swelling causes pain. Ice at least four time a day, maybe more often today and any day you feel like it. Ice for 45-60 minutes each time you ice, always placing fabric between skin and the ice source.

PT really isn’t necessary (but a personal choice) as explained through the BIG TIP in the Recovery Guidelines, so please take it slow and don’t allow them to push you into doing anything that brings you pain or discomfort.

BIG TIP: Hips actually don't need any exercise to get better. They do a pretty good job of it all on their own if given half a chance. Trouble is, people don't give them a chance and end up with all sorts of aches and pains and sore spots. All they need is the best therapy which is walking and even then not to excess.

I hope a day of rest, icing and elevation does wonders for you. Good Luck!
@Creakyjoint

:console2:
Things are going to get easier, @Creakyjoint
As Layla suggests, do ice all you can... It really helps.:ice:

It is so unfortunate that the opiate crisis has caused post surgical patients to struggle for sufficient pain meds...certainly is the case in the USA also.
It is hard to know how much is too much, especially these really days.
Your body is working hard to heal and adjust so hang in there...
Healing hugsxxx

@Creakyjoint so glad you got to go outside. I am too scared of the steps at my house to navigate that, so I’ve been inside. How has your nausea been? I think that anesthesia lingers longer than maybe they think. Have a great week

Hi there. So my new meds are great. No nausea! I am so grateful and I have now figured how to work the meds so I can sleep through the night. One’s perspective can really change after a good night of sleep!

I have been taking to heart trying to walk 10 minute intervals. I realized that I was favouring my new hip and not putting my full weight on it. I have been protecting my bad hip for so long I now have to retrain my mind and body. This is no longer my bad hip! It’s my new hip and it is made for walking. I also have a have a habit of leaning on my other hip as it was always so sore. Now when I stand I have to learn where centre is! This is going to take practice.

I went for an early morning walk today and walked 10 minutes. I also walked lifting my right crutch completely off the ground to see if I could do it and I can. So now I have moved to a cane. I know I have a long way to go to get rid of my bad hip habits but I am on the road.

I totally understand the fear of stairs. I actually have been afraid of
doing lots of things. it is major surgery and using that new hip is going to take a lot of courage! Grateful again for this forum. It is a series of up and down days but good to know others are out there struggling with the same things.

:console2:
Things are going to get easier, @Creakyjoint
As Layla suggests, do ice all you can... It really helps.:ice:

It is so unfortunate that the opiate crisis has caused post surgical patients to struggle for sufficient pain meds...certainly is the case in the USA also.
It is hard to know how much is too much, especially these really days.
Your body is working hard to heal and adjust so hang in there...
Healing hugsxxx
Thanks it is weird but understandable I guess. There is a good use of these drugs and I wish there were more physicians and surgeons willing to work with their patients in using them appropriately. The hydro morphone has been working well.

@Creakyjoint so glad you got to go outside. I am too scared of the steps at my house to navigate that, so I’ve been inside. How has your nausea been? I think that anesthesia lingers longer than maybe they think. Have a great week
Hang in there. The stairs are scary especially when you feel so vulnerable about falling. one day at a time. My husband spotted me for quite awhile until I got my confidence. I just take one step at a time like a little old lady but being outside is worth it!

@Creakyjoint Don't worry - the stairs will become old hat fairly quickly! You are very early in the recovery process and still have healing to do :) One day soon you will trot up the stairs and down again without even thinking of having a new hip. That happened for me at about 3.5 months after surgery when I had to chase one of my big cats up the stairs, get down on my stomach to drag (gently) her out from under a bed, and then carry her down stairs to get put into her travel crate. Because I was hurrying (had grooming appointment for the cats) I did all of that without once considering I had new hips!

Now when I stand I have to learn where centre is! This is going to take practice.
I know what u mean, as I am doing the same. Hope I can train this old brain a new trick. Lol

Day 21 - 3 weeks post op. I started online PT with OneStep today. I have been cleared to use a cane (they had a helpful video on how to use a cane properly) and will be doing their exercises gently. walking 10 minutes a day 2-3 times a day. I have been managing pain better and am finding that it is usually worse by days end. I have another 10 days prescription for hydro morphone and will be slowly transitioning to Tylenol and Advil.

I was feeling so positive today and then I stretched the wrong way and pulled some muscle in my butt! It is so hard to gauge what I can do until I overdo it! I feel like a toddler... I just want to do everything myself..... and so the humbling journey continues!

I also wanted to comment about getting behind on the pain meds. Sad to say this has happened several times and is so not worth it! For me I don’t feel excruciating pain at first. I start to do this weird all over body shiver and then my muscles seize all around my hip, thigh and buttocks and won’t let go. I have never felt pain like it. Pain killers don’t even take it away although over time they eventually kick in. I’ve had 2 kids by natural child birth and the pain is worse than that! I can’t stress enough to keep on top of the pain before it gets to that point. I have learned the hard way!

Heres to the slow (and quick) learning hippies

@Creakyjoint Ummmm correct me if I'm wrong .... I see by your signature here that your surgery was on April 6 and today is April 20 so by my math you are 14 days out from surgery not 21 days. If the signature is wrong let us know so we can correct it! Any way you are still very early in the recovery process. I remember the odd aches and pains from muscles learning how to be in the new normal! And stretching ... LOL I did learn early on to do that very cautiously!

Yes staying ahead of pain is very important which is why doctors prescribe pain medication on a particular schedule.

I feel like a toddler... I just want to do everything myself..... and so the humbling journey continues!
I feel the same learning to redo what I have done for 55 years. Lol

At 2 weeks stretching and exercises will easily cause more pain for some than pain meds can take away. In my early weeks it was real easy to do too much and pay for it later. It's also real easy to over do things when you are ahead of the pain and it gets to be a spiral.

@Creakyjoint Ummmm correct me if I'm wrong .... I see by your signature here that your surgery was on April 6 and today is April 20 so by my math you are 14 days out from surgery not 21 days. If the signature is wrong let us know so we can correct it! Any way you are still very early in the recovery process. I remember the odd aches and pains from muscles learning how to be in the new normal! And stretching ... LOL I did learn early on to do that very cautiously!

Yes staying ahead of pain is very important which is why doctors prescribe pain medication on a particular schedule.
Yup you’re right I am coming into my third week which as of today is only day 15. My error. Like to blame the pain meds but might be my over eager desire to be farther along....

No worries, @Creakyjoint I totally get it that two weeks can feel like 3 when one is healing and wanting to get back to fun activities rather than hobbling around and lying on the couch!

day 17 really - I am doing my best to not overdo it. I’m on my last prescription refill of hydro morphone so am working out a schedule to slowly replace it with Tylenol and Advil, any suggestions? I have a couple weeks to do this.

Im doing the Onestep PT exercises and they are not excessive but are targeting getting my muscles slowly back working. I would like to walk farther but am keeping my walks to 15 minutes twice a day. Each day I feel a little stronger but on the days I’m feeling really tired I’ve been resting (it feels indulgent but wise). I have started sleeping on my side with a big pillow between my knees or having the pillow under my knees. Being able to shift position during the night has really helped me sleep better. This is a slow heal process but it is encouraging to see the little steps forward

@Creakyjoint I am impressed with your long walks! It does feel good to finally be able to sleep on ones side instead of the back all night. I remember waking up early in the first few weeks just because all that back sleeping made my heels sore!

Hope you have a good weekend!

So it has been a full month since my surgery and I am feeling better each day. I am off my hydro morphine and using Tylenol and Advil as needed. I have overdid it a few times and then I pay big time but if I take it easy the next day I seem to bounce back. I am amazed that I can still tire out even at the 1 month mark!

I had an in person PT appointment last week and she was pleased with my progress. I am doing exercises to strengthen my muscles but am doing them gently and once a day along with the OneStep exercises. I am walking without assistance around the house but my PT recommended using my cane when going for walks. I have been walking 2 km twice a day and I do notice I get sloppy and sore if I push it longer. I actually went up and down quite an incline yesterday with no pain! So exciting. I also can put full weight on my operated leg for dressing and other activities, also a first for me in a long time. Sleeping through the night is still not happening. I am able to sleep on non operated side for about 20 minutes at a time. My leg just gets really stiff and sore by morning but I guess that is to be expected for quite awhile? I am meeting with my OS on Thursday and looking forward to getting my dressing off and hopefully getting the go ahead to drive, ride my bike and swim.

I continue to be grateful for this forum as I read about all our journeys, the ups and the downs. It’s an up day for me today but I am not as worried when I have a down day.... just need to take it easy and remind myself that this is going to take some time.

Hello @Creakyjoint

I'm pleased to read you're doing so well.

You'll notice that I have merged your two threads together as it's best if members in recovery only have one thread.
This is because:
  • That way, you have all your information in one place. This makes it easier for others to go back and review your history before providing advice.
  • If you start new threads, you miss the posts and advice others have left for you in the old threads, and some information may be unnecessarily repeated
  • Having only one thread will act as a diary of your progress that you can look back on.

Please keep all your questions and updates on this thread. We won't miss your new question as, between us, the staff read all new posts each day.
If you need an urgent response to a question, tag a member of staff.
Tagging other members and answering tags

If you prefer a different thread title, just post what you want and we'll get it changed for you.

Here are the instructions on finding your thread, How can I find my threads and posts?

A helpful hint - Many members have found it useful to bookmark their thread so they don't lose it.

Best wishes,
Celle

Today I had my first follow up appointment with my OS. I had a whole list of questions and although I can’t do everything I wanted to do on my list I had a few joyful allowances. My dressing finally came off. A whole month I had that water proof dressing on my a.... and I am finally free. It felt so good to shower but I was surprised how numb it is around my incision. Not a pretty sight but it is the battle scars of us hippies I also got the go ahead to roll on my operated side and I no longer have to wear the Venapro at night (it’s an automated pressure cuff that is loud and squeezes my calf every 30 seconds). I crawled into bed tonight and rolled from side to side with a big smile on my face! I know I still have a long way to go. I still wake up every morning with a stiff sore leg, and when I get up from a chair I still feel like the Tin Man but there’s light at the end of this tunnel. Slow and steady is what is going to get me through. I want to sprint but this forum is helping me remember to breath and take it easy ❤️

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
JanieMarie
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom