THR Week 4 update

CreakyJoint

Country
Canada Canada
Had a right THR posterior surgery today. Delayed by 4 hours but it gave me more time to listen to my meditations and chill playlists so that was ok. Had spinal and that went ok. I sort of woke up during the ‘construction, but managed to tell the anaesthetist and it worked great. Recovery room was easy as I couldn’t feel my legs. Feeling is coming back but no pain yet.... I know it will arrive but trying to stay positive.

It is so great reading different recovery threads and knowing I’m not alone. After seeing my before X-ray I know I made the right decision but am anticipating some second guessing at some point. The hospitals here are filling up with COVID cases and there is talk of cancelling elective surgeries again. Happened to me once so grateful I have this chance. Hang in there hippies! Joining you now in my recovery (although I suspect I put this thread in the wrong place again!)

@Creakyjoint Congratulations! I’m impressed you wrote an update the same day as your surgery!!

Are you at home or staying overnight? Glad you were able to have your surgery before they stop elective surgeries. I’m just 14 days post-op but can tell you it’s not that bad. Believe the hype—Keep ice packs on and elevate! It helps SO much with any pain. I felt my pain was the worst when swelling was bad.

I hope you have a good nights sleep and look forward to reading your updates.

Creakyjoint,
Welcome to the OtherSide! :welome:
Glad your surgery is behind you and hope you go home soon!
In the meantime here is some reading for you.

Here are the Hip Recovery Guidelines, the articles are short and will not take long to read.

Hip Recovery: The Guidelines
1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now, they are almost certainly temporary
2. Control discomfort:
rest
ice
take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)​

3. Do what you want to do BUT
a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you​
b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.​

4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of these

5. At week 4 and after you should follow this

6. Access these pages on the website

Pain management and the pain chart
Healing: how long does it take?
Chart representation of THR recovery

Dislocation risk and 90 degree rule
Energy drain for THRs
Pain and swelling control: elevation is the key
Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it
Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

BIG TIP: Hips actually don't need any exercise to get better. They do a pretty good job of it all on their own if given half a chance. Trouble is, people don't give them a chance and end up with all sorts of aches and pains and sore spots. All they need is the best therapy which is walking and even then not to excess.

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery.

While members may create as many threads as they like in the majority of BoneSmart’s forums, we ask that each member have only One Recovery Thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review the member’s history before providing advice, so please post any updates or questions you have right here in this thread.

Congratulations @Creakyjoint, take the pain meds regularly even if you don’t feel the pain yet. My mistake at the hospital was that I thought they would give me pain meds on schedule the night of surgery, but I was wrong - I slept through a dose and playing catch up was not fun the next morning especially when physio was waiting to torture me!! Also like @Teresa17 mentioned, icing and elevating are super important too

Congrats @Creakyjoint I too had a spinal and the Real Pain was a couple of days out (at home) I am 7 weeks and the difference is amazing! Keep icing and taking the meds so you can be mobile. Try not to overdo as I did (and always have) Good luck!

Day 2 , thanks for the ongoing advice and support. Feel like a truck hit me this morning and I’m sure it didn’t help that I couldn’t sleep all night. It’s a new day, trying to stay positive. Fighting nausea whenever I sit upright or stand. Physio exercises were discouraging as my ‘log’ didn’t want to cooperate. do you do the exercises 3 times a day. Physio says the muscles Ned the exercises to get back working. Not used to feeling so weak and vulnerable. Hoping the light headedness passes so I can practice the functional skills I need to go home. Bit worried about fainting so want this sensation to pass before I go home. Or is this just normal?You’re right hospital has no regular schedule for meds or ice or elevation. Trying to self advocate.

Physio exercises were discouraging as my ‘log’ didn’t want to cooperate. do you do the exercises 3 times a day. Physio says the muscles Need the exercises to get back working.
Don't be discouraged.
This physio is too keen and he/she is misinformed.

Your log leg will work when it is good and ready. (My leg took 5 days before it worked properly). You don't need to do the exercises 3 times daily.
All you need at this very early stage of recovery is to do a little walking every couple of hours.

Take note of the BIG TIP Pumpkln left you in the Recovery Guidelines:
Hips actually don't need any exercise to get better. They do a pretty good job of it all on their own if given half a chance. Trouble is, people don't give them a chance and end up with all sorts of aches and pains and sore spots. All they need is the best therapy which is walking and even then not to excess.

Fighting nausea whenever I sit upright or stand.
Ask for anti-nausea medication.

Log leg is very common and no matter how I tried my right would not move. I went through the deal with the PT's at the hospital, day 2 is too early for exercise to accomplish anything more than pain.

day 2 is too early for exercise to accomplish anything more than pain.
I wish the hospital PT would read this. It was less than 24 hours after surgery when he was trying to force me to do leg lifts until I cried
With my first THR of course it was all new to me and I hadn't found this site. Fortunately for me I was a star at PT in the hospital, I could do 20 reps of anything they threw at me. There were others that struggled to the point of screams and tears and the PT kept bullying them. With my second I had a log leg big time. I of course had to go for the required to be released PT and the same deal as the first time. Of course this time I couldn't do what they demanded but being a fair sized man they didn't push the issue with me but they did with others. I really don't get it but I guess they think they are doing good.

Day 3 and I went home yesterday. The hospital needs the bed and it felt like PT wanted me to be able to do the exercises so I could get discharged. I was able to do them but pointed out I felt nauseous whenever I stood up. They didn’t seem to care as they said I was strong and fit (although this has nothing to do with feeling nauseous). As I thought home would be a better place to recoup I went home. I have an awesome supportive husband at home. So got home yesterday and promptly threw up. Been vomiting pretty much every 4 hours. Its hard to keep my meds down. Waiting for the OS to return my call and hoping for some kind of anti nausea meds. Frustrated as even being on my tablet makes me sick :(

@Creakyjoint I am so sorry you are feeling so nauseous. That is such a horrible feeling. I hope the OS gets you some nausea meds soon!

How awful...I’m sorry you’re having such a rough start. Hopefully your OS prescribed some anti-nausea meds and you’re resting comfortably tonight.
Wishing you comfort and a brighter day tomorrow. :SUNsmile:
@Creakyjoint

@Creakyjoint Happy Friday! I was just thinking of you and hoping you are feeling better!

Good morning Teresa. Been a rough couple of days but I’m getting through came back to Bonesmart to get some encourage and remind myself that recovery is going to be a slow progression. Took my first walk outside yesterday. So good to be outside. How are you doing?

It’s been a week since my surgery and I am still struggling with my pain meds. My OS has not gotten back to me despite repeated messages so today I go to my GP. Despite these struggles I am learning to get around. I am starting to go on short walks with my crutches. It is so good to get outside! I can’t believe how tired I get after any physical exertion but I’ve learned through this site that fatigue is real and to give myself a break.

is there some general guidelines about frequency of pain meds? Right now I’m taking Tramadol every 4-5 hours. I have never used opioids and want to use them wisely in my recovery.

For all those heading into surgery, my surgery and the day after weren’t that bad. I just needed some good medical advise about the meds. I continue to come back to this site for encouragement and advise. Thanks everyone for helping me succeed through this life event. Looking forward to some pain free movements in my future!

I don't know what milligram your Tramadol is but our nurse emeritus had a schedule she used to post that many members found to be effective.

A small note is that Tramadol works really well when taken in combination with Tylenol.
However you need to make CERTAIN none of your meds already have Tylenol in them.
You have a choice of two routines here

aa Tramadol routine 2.JPG

I was given 2 prescriptions with no instructions. One was for Tramadol the other for T3. I wonder if I was suppose to take both? Or is the recommendation for just regular strength Tylenol. Can’t thank you enough for this information!

@Creakyjoint So glad you are feeling better! Sounds like you are doing well already walking w crutches outside! Shame on the OS for not getting back with you:hairpulling:

I’m doing well. Started PT and walking without aids. Still have an off day every few days but I know they’ll become fewer as the weeks go by. I do quite a bit of walking around the house and the occasional outing but I just bought new shoes for my power walking and I’m going to go for my first spin tomorrow. I won’t power walk , I’m just going for a walk around the block. Looking forward to it! I had to give up my daily 8 mile walks last August.

I hope you are getting a good nights rest, icing & elevating your leg and praying your med situation got resolved. Looks like @Mojo333 had a good suggestion for you.

Take care of yourself. I’ll be watching for your updates!

Tylenol 3 has codeine in it and the above schedule is for ONLY Tylenol.
I would call my doctor's office about their intended use for you but you can use regular tylenol instead.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Dave4562
Recent bookmarks

Latest posts