MUA 3rd Year Anniversary

Admin/moderator- please update signature Left MUA 11-13-19

MUA performed at different facility. I really did have adhesions and have noticed a different feel in motion walking around house and doing bike back and forths.

The procedure was done at a different facility than TKA and it was awful.

Anesthesiologist kept saying different plan than what I had discussed with surgeon, disregarded my request for assistance when I informed the 5 people around my bed I was anxious, overwhelmed and could I get some help. Proceeded to do nerve block while I was awake, cogent and yelled.

I was supposed to be sedated. The Dr. Seemed surprised tonight that I remembered. Damn thing hurt!

Post procedure pain was higher than original TKA and they didn't believe me. Turns out the block only numbed below my knee. I get every one has different bodies...but I think this guy really missed.

Will be writing up my experience and ensuring not only facility receives it, but the surgeon too.

Also, nurse doing IV deliberately (?) Broke her glove for dominant index finger to be outside of glove! What is that about? Post op nurse poo pooed my pain level reporting. Insisted I only ingest crushed ice when I wanted room temp water and was upset when my husband said, no when the nurse asked him to help me dress. No other patients there...

Not impressed with this facility AT ALL.

Thanks for the "ear" tonight!

I’m sorry you had such a bad experience all around. :console2:

Treat your knee gently now so it can recover from this latest onslaught. I think most patients are sent to PT every day for a while after MUA, but don’t do anything there that hurts and don’t let anyone push your knee to bend further.
Saying no to therapy - am I allowed to?

What a nightmare you have had with your MUA. It's a good thing that you have decided to let your doctor know about what a terrible time you had. Maybe your telling him will prevent others from having to go through what you did. You are a tough lady. But, don't be tough on that traumatized knee! Baby it.

Thanks for the support BONE Smartie!

Today's PT session went really well with lots of stretching and me, not them, controlling knee movement. Managed to get to 90 flex which hasn't happened in YEARS!

I am fatigued and sore but in the way that says good work out, not exhausted and in pain. Whew!

If I can maintain that mindset with the PT people, I think I will be doing stairs soon! Don't have any in house, but it is my rehab goal for returning to work.

I have to be able to handle uneven terrain as I go to construction sites from time to time as part of my job. I really want to be physically ready.

Hopefully more regular sleep is coming so my brain can return to normal too!

@Jockette you bet! They want daily PT through next Friday, as long as I get to control the flex, and they continue the active stretching I think we will be good. My concern is I will see every single therapist in that office, so I might need to repeat myself!

That's what this forum is about @Helizabug!

We learn from each other the important thing, we are not alone!

You are in early days, Please ice and elevate and stay on med schedule!

Doing my best, friend. Thanks for the encouragement.

Losing my mojo.

Going back to work next Friday, ugh.

Still can't sleep well, which is scaring me because without it, my brain doesn't function and my temper control goes out the window.

Most of my colleagues are significantly younger and made many comment pre-op regarding return in 4 to 6 weeks, oh-my grandad had that, he was fine, etc...

Normally I don't let what others think get to me, but today that's all I hear in my head. " Still using cane, can't think straight...eligible for next layoff, etc..." all the macho points in the world count.

So my challenge to those watching this thread, how do YOU get through these types of thoughts?

I would just come back and tell them that my knee is different and had a lot of different work inside of it that many people didn't have to have. Then send them to watch a video of a live knee replacement. That should show anybody that it's not something you snap back from in a few months.

I never did watch anymore than an animation pre-op!:yikes:

I will have to remind them two procedures, coming back to work within 4 weeks of the MUA should be macho enough....otherwise...they can stick it! Ha!

Wow time flies!

Back to work on Dec 13th.

Knee is doing well, improves every week. PT has me doing 2 inch steps without using other leg to help. My TKA quad can't do the work! So I get to do other exercises, whoo hoo! :gaah:

I saw a different PT this week. I think he is the "shrink" PT. "You know, (my name), you can do a lot more than you think. Just do it"

Yeah it takes a long time. I am depressed, I think I went back to work to soon. Still sleeping like cap. Shrink PT wants me exercising to a "heavy sweat". Yeah I can you for you (sarcasm).

Argh! :good-bad:

I think I went back to work to soon
Indeed. Is there anything you can do to lighten your work load?
Managed to get to 90 flex which hasn't happened in YEARS!
Which will mean that your soft tissue has adapted to limited ROM and it will take time and stretching to get full range back again. The good news is that normal life will provide a lot of that stretching. Your PT will be able to describe exercises you can do at home, and/or you can look at the exercises shown on here (including mine from my sig below).
Shrink PT wants me exercising to a "heavy sweat"
Absolutely unnecessary for gaining ROM. Sweat = fitness training, not regaining ROM. ROM exercises can and should be done without pain or even breathing hard. Ask him why he wants you sweating, and be prepared for an unclear answer because he doesn't understand the difference between training and stretching, I betcha.

It isn't about lightening my work load per se, it's the mental **** that goes with company removing position so I must, by end of year, provide a plan so I can keep A job that THEY think provides value....and I get to keep doing the old job! Stressful! The work is easy, the politics are another story.:banghead:

The PT wanting me to get sweaty isn't about range of motion, he wants me exercising to manage stress and loose weight. I AM REALLY GOOD at ignoring ludicrous advice without substance! Aka I am stubborn! :yes!:

I do have PT recognising previous lack of ROM means shorter quad, also super weak quad!

I am very happy with my progress since the MUA. Every week I can do more and Do it easier.

QUESTION: I am taking Tylenol 500 mg 4x per day and don't really feel in pain, but get super rest,less if I stay in any one position especially in recliner with legs straight or standing. Is that "pain"?
I ice once a day.

Is that "pain"?
Stiffness is a form of pain. Can you ice more than once per day? How long are you icing?
I can ice more than once a day, and these days I gotta move after 20 to 30 mins of icing. In fact, I gotta move every 20 or 30 mins all day long! I get restless and don't know if that's "pain" driven.

I still go through some of the restless issues and if I sit too long at work I just get up and walk around the office area....and the stiffness I do call "pain"....I really believe it's pain driven!!

@Macknit thanks for sharing! You are 10 days ahead of me AND working, so its a big help to hear and see from others further along in the healing process.

Are you another knitter? :happydance:

@NewToMe yes, another knitter...
1577292733391.png

it was especially good when I was home for the six weeks, before returning to work. I have had a little time but since Thanksgiving I've had Christmas prep (for 6 children, 3 spouses and 4 grandchildren going on!!) I'm writing right now while everyone is grabbing their coffee, before gift opening!

I only have a year left of work and my plan is that this L knee is misbehaving, so I'll retire during recovery January 2021.... we'll see how those plans play out! I have felt like I'm in a bit of a stall with my knee...my guess is that it is a lot of overdoing it AND working... but I want my retirement $$ so one more year!!

Hope your Christmas day is peaceful (whether you celebrate or not :SUNsmile: )

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
All2Gd88
Recent bookmarks

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom