BoneSmart® Hip / Knee Replacement Forum
Knee Replacement & Hip Replacement
Patient Advocacy & Online Community

Wednesday's the Day

Discussion in 'Knee Replacement Pre-Op Area' started by donebyme25, Nov 11, 2017.

1. donebyme25

donebyme25

United States United States
    I will be having my LTKR this coming Wed Nov 15. I will be having a RTKR in 4-6mo months. I am trying to be brave but I will be honest that I am a bit terrified. I have known for many years that I needed a RTKR and it was understood with my OS that I would know "when". Well the "when" came this past August when my GOOD knee suddenly became incapacitated. I had never, ever even had a twinge in my L knee. Had an xray & my OS stated it too also had severe osteoarthritis and he said it was amazing it had not been symptomatic previously. It was decided that the L knee would be done first as I was having so much more difficulty with it.

The backstory on my long time bad R knee: way back in 1969, when I was 13, I had severe osteomyelitis in my R femur just above the knee.( The initial infection was caused by a splinter in my left heel! Don't walk barefoot!!) I almost lost my leg & spent nearly 2 months in the hospital after surgery & mega IV antibiotics. I was a very sick girl. The whole time my leg was in traction which eventually dislocated my knee. Over the years, I developed what was told to me to be traumatic osteoarthritis in the R knee. I have lived with it all these years as it has progressively worsened knowing I would ultimately need a TKR. Never did I ever think my left would need a replacement too. Still having a hard time wrapping my head around that. I also never thought the osteomyelitis would play into the knee surgery now. I have a very cautious OS and he ordered 2 nuclear medicine bone scans to make sure no osteo germs were still lurking. It's very rare but it has happened to a couple of his TKR patients. Yikes! Those 2 tests alone cost $8500+. Grateful for good health insurance for sure. Luckily both were negative so that's a good thing.

Well, as I said, surgery #1 is this Wed. I am so glad I found Bonesmart and have been doing my homework here. I am as ready as I can be (I think....I hope). Thank you to everyone sharing there experiences. I will keep in touch and will be closely following all the information here.

Last edited: Nov 12, 2017
  2. Jazzabelle

Jazzabelle

Wow! I am so sorry about the infection scare. I have experienced that with my husband multiple times. I am glad your doc is being so careful. All the best for you with your upcoming surgery. Keep us posted. I'll be watching and sending you healing energy.

3. MtnMaire

MtnMaire

Greetings, Donebyme,
    The day of your surgery will be2eeks since I had LTKR--. You have been thru a great deal over the years--I know 2 women who experienced osteomyelitis and I understand it's quite an ordeal. I have been losing mobility for several years due to knees, which gave me problems due to "Knock"-ness. I tell you that as a background for what I experienced right after surgery. After the nurse/pt had me walking with a cane, I began crying, and I explained to this kind woman that I had never felt so straight on my feet. The pain was and is real, but I knew I'd made the right decision. And my prayer for you post-surgery is that you might find some well-deserved peace...and new mobility. Sounds to me that you'll be going into surgery with good support: a sensitive, highly-trained OS, a great deal of knowledge about knee function (and dysfunction), and a great health care plan. That's good stuff.

Know that you will be in the hearts of many people in this forum. I look forward to hearing about your recovery when you feel up to posting about it.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  4. donebyme25

donebyme25

Thank you for your best wishes. One of my biggest concerns is rehabbing the 1st TKR with my "bad" R knee. All these years I have favored that knee so all my leg/knee movements are L dominant. Stairs, curbs, etc always start L leg first. It's basically imprinted in my mind. I will now have to consciously choose the R leg first. It is much weaker than the L and becomes painful fast. I have been doing pre-op strengthening exercises on both legs but only time will tell. Any advice on strategy would be welcome.

My R leg also had a ruptured Achilles tendon in 2006 that had to be surgically repaired. Reinjuring that is always a concern too. No wonder my left knee finally gave out. It has STOOD BY me all these years and do ally yelled ENOUGH!

Pain control is causing me great stress. I don't tolerate narcotics very well. I can usually only take them 2 days or so. Does major screw ups to my mind and I get this awful inside itching. Not a rash but it's like it's inside my whole body. Drives me crazy! I am usually a ibuprofen user because I am an inflammation girl but I now know that acetominafen will be the drug used for these surgeries. Already bought 500 mg & 325 mg bottles. Hopefully we will find a good pain killer combination that doesn't make me crazy and works.

I am trying to have a good attitude & doing LOTS of praying. To quote my late MIL "What are you gonna do? It could be worse".

• Like Like x 1
    Last edited: Nov 12, 2017
  5. MtnMaire

MtnMaire

I do understand your concerns, especially with drug re/actions. Due to drug allergies, my post op meds had to be modified.
    Also, I know what you mean re: narcotic "itch". When it happened a few days ago/post surgery, the nurse indicated they had run out of the usual medication for that pro l

6. MtnMaire

MtnMaire

oops, lost that thread. But here's the lotion nurse gave me to calm the drug itch: Men-Phor Anti-itch Lotion made by Geritrex. VERY refreshing scent. Apparently camphor and menthol are 2 main ingredients. Just fyi and know you will be held in our hearts through your procedure on Wednesday.

7. Celle

Celle FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

New Zealand New Zealand
    Have you discussed this with your surgeon?
    It's a good idea to have a pain control schedule planned in advance.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. donebyme25

donebyme25

Thank you Mtnmaire. I'll mention that lotion if I have itch issues. Also, hope you are having a good day & progressing well. You are in my heart too.

Celle,
    No I haven't mentioned it because I actually haven't seen my OS since mid Sept when we decided in the surgery. I will mention it pre-op so it's in my hospital record plus I'll instruct my husband what to say if I can't speak up after surgery. I'm not so worried about meds in the hospital after surgery but more about my prescriptions going home. Sadly, I've had (too) many surgeries through the years so I know the games REALLY begin once you're home. My husband knows the drill....poor guy.

I am trying to be brave but man, this is hard. I am flipping out knowing that no matter what happens or what the experience is, in a couple of months I have to do it again. I am trying to keep calm & reminding myself I have come out on the other side of cancer, osteomyelitis, rotator cuff surgery on both shoulders and other things. I guess I just don't want to play these games anymore. I am tired. Since I was a small child, I have always stated loud & clear: "I just want to be left alone!" I am sure LOTS of people here know how I am feeling and I take comfort in the precious support on this forum. Thank you all!

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  9. Arttie

Arttie

It seems that all our wizards are going to be busy this week.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  10. donebyme25

donebyme25

Saw my massage therapist today and she did an hour of lymphatic drainage massage on my left leg. Can't hurt and can only help I figure. Tomorrow I get a little pampering by having my hair cut. I will find out my surgery time tomorrow afternoon. :prayer:Praying it's early in the day. Fingers crossed :fingersx:

I have done everything I can possibly think of to get ready for my "confinement ". My poor dear husband has had to put me back together so many times in the past 39 years. I hate being a burden to him. My Christmas cards are signed, stamped & ready to go. Christmas presents wrapped! Moved all my stuff downstairs where I will be living the next couple of weeks. Hospital bag packed. I need this to happen. Sitting here in the recliner wrapped in a soft throw, chilling listening to my new Kelly Clarkson CD.:ice:

MUST.STAY.CALM :praying:

11. KarriB

KarriB FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

Have you found a few things to binge watch during your recovery? I found I didn’t have the concentration to read (even though I loaded up my kindle) but bingeing on something meant I could go back and rewatch what I fell asleep during. :yawn:

Last edited: Nov 14, 2017
  12. SusieShoes

SusieShoes FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

You've done your Christmas cards? :wowspring:I am in awe of your organization and planning.

13. SpaceGirl

SpaceGirl

Good Morning @donebyme25, I can relate to many levels of your knee pain. I have not had surgeries or what not, but the pain, yes the pain is horrible. I have gone on with pain for so long that I don't know what its like to live without it. I look forward to that day. I am having staged tkr, but hoping my second one will be in Jan like the good doc says.

I will say a prayer for you and your surgery tomorrow. I have my first one this Thurs, so we'll be recovering together!

14. donebyme25

donebyme25

SusieShoes,
    I usually design and handmake my Christmas cards. I starting doing that back in 2006 when I was recovering from my Achilles tendon repair surgery. It helped keep me sane during 6 weeks of totally non-weight bearing recovery. People love them and are going to be surprised when they get a Hallmark this year! I just couldn't get inspired to create this year with all that's been going on.

Spacegirl,
    Artie today
    Me tomorrow
    You Thursday

We are part on an exclusive club! Haha! Prayers for you too my dear. I hope to have the r knee done as soon as I can. My OS says 6 months but I am hoping for late March- early April 2018. I have lived with varying amounts of pain & disability in the r knee for 40+ years. It really has affected my life. The left knee, which is being done tomorrow, literally just started in late August. I still can't believe it. Makes sense though because I have osteoarthritis in so many joints throughout my body. Never felt even a twinge in l knee. Oh well......

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  15. SpaceGirl

SpaceGirl

Today is your day! You may already be on the way into surgery but best wishes and see you on the other side!

16. Arttie

Arttie

I have done well so far. I hope you are too today.