BoneSmart® Hip / Knee Replacement Forum
Joint Replacement Patient Advocacy
and Online Community
  1. Announcing BoneSmart's NEW Joint Surgeon Locator tool

We are pleased to now offer a tool to help you find just the right surgeon for your needs.

Read more about this in this announcement:

Dismiss Notice

[THR] Wedge pillow

Discussion in 'Hip Replacement Recovery Area' started by Tarajeane, May 7, 2019.

1. Tarajeane

Tarajeane new member

United States United States
    Hi everyone, I am scheduled for THR on June 5. I’m 42 and use to do yoga and dance. I haven’t been able to in the past two years due to my bad hip. Has anyone who had a hip replacement do yoga/dance without a lot of limitations?
    Thanks
    Tara

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. Mojo333

Mojo333 FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

@luvsibes is a yogi and could probably comment.
    I would guess that self imposed limitations would definitely be a good thing.
    Had a member who did dislocate performing yoga position so definitely not something to rush in to.
    Lots of dancers on the forum too.
    All in the timing.
    Heal first!

3. Eman85

Eman85 post-grad

Everypne's "limitations" might be different. I'm no dancer and had limitations as gar as Yoga went pre-op just because of limited ROM and hip pain. After THR I have better ROM in that hip but limitations are common sense as far as how far to push your hip to chance dislocation. And of course there's the muscles which take quite some time to get back to normal. Yoga does help a lot with the stiffness and soreness but I don't push any stretches in my hip.
    As Mojo said there is a thread about someone that was doing a simple Yoga pose that dislocated doing it. Not something you want to do!

• Like Like x 1
  4. Layla

Layla FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

Hi @Tarajeane
    Many members do return to Yoga. Most likely there will be some limitations but I'm sure they are moderate and precautions you'll want to take in an effort to avoid dislocation. The good news is, you can return.
    As far as dancing goes, certainly you'll be able to dance in the conventional sense most would enjoy as an adult.
    Unless you're talking about break dancing or something more radical like that...:spin: :no-fin:

5. Debru4

Debru4 senior

At 3 1/2 months after surgery, I danced at a friend's wedding...fast dances as well as slow. I actually forgot about my hip until the night was nearly over, and I was getting a bit stiff, but no pain.

I am not a "dancer" by any stretch of the imagination---I am a "wedding dancer":heehee:, so I agree with @Layla that you surely will be able to do that sort of dancing----when your body tells you it is ready. That varies from person to person.

Something I have found to be especially important is simply to be tuned into my body.....I don't push it to, or through pain. By not imposing timelines on myself and just living my regular life, I have found that I've been able to ease back into things. That patience isn't always easy, but definitely worthwhile!

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  6. Tarajeane

Tarajeane new member

Any recommendations on wedge pillow for elevating legs after THR. Looking on amazon

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7. Layla

Layla FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

Hi @Tarajeane
    The Lounge Doctor is a good one. I purchased one through Amazon and while it's not cheap, I've used mine ever since my THR so I look at it as money well spent.
    Hope you find one you like.
    Happy Thursday!

8. Celle

Celle FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

New Zealand New Zealand
    Hi @Tarajeane
    You'll notice that I have merged your newest thread with your original recovery thread.
    For several reasons, we prefer that you only have one recovery thread:
    • That way, we have all your information in one place. This makes it easier to go back and review your history before providing advice.
    • If you keep starting new threads, you miss the posts and advice others have left for you in the old threads, and some information may be unnecessarily repeated
    • Having only one thread will act as a diary of your progress that you can look back on.
    So please post any updates, questions or concerns about your recovery here.
    Don't worry that we won't see your question because, between us, the staff read all new posts every day.
    If you need an urgent response to a question, just tag a member of staff.
    How to tag another member; how to answer when someone tags you

If you prefer a different thread title, just post what you want and we'll get it changed for you.

Here are the instructions on finding your thread, How can I find my threads and posts? . Many members bookmark their thread, so they can find it when they log on.