THR weather and hip issues

Texas1965

Country
United States United States
3 days post surgery feeling good, pain level 2. Pulled a muscle in lower back getting dressed this morning, other than that all is good. Pain on day two was pain level 8-9. One day at a time.

@Texas1965, this is your new recovery thread. If you'd like a different title just let us know and we'll change it for you.

Here is some reading to help you manage your recovery:
Hip Recovery: The Guidelines
1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now, they are almost certainly temporary
2. Control discomfort:

rest
elevate
ice
take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)

3. Do what you want to do BUT

a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you
b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.

4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of these

BoneSmart philosophy for sensible post op therapy

5. At week 4 and after you should follow this

Activity progression for THRs

6. Access these pages on the website

Oral And Intravenous Pain Medications
Wound Care In Hospital

Pain management and the pain chart
Healing: how long does it take?
Chart representation of THR recovery

Dislocation risk and 90 degree rule
Energy drain for THRs
Pain and swelling control: elevation is the key
Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it
Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

BIG TIP: Hips actually don't need any exercise to get better. They do a pretty good job of it all on their own if given half a chance. Trouble is, people don't give them a chance and end up with all sorts of aches and pains and sore spots. All they need is the best therapy which is walking and even then not to excess.

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery.

While members may create as many threads as they like in the majority of BoneSmart’s forums, we ask that each member have only One Recovery Thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review the member’s history before providing advice, so please post any updates or questions you have right here in this thread.

Hi @Texas1965
Are you home from the hospital?
I'm sorry you pulled a muscle and I'm hoping you have some help or someone checking in on you if you are home.
I needed a bit of help dressing the first few days and a grabber is very handy so we don't have to do alot of bending over.
Glad you are getting your pain level down so I hope you are taking meds on schedule.
One day at a time, for sure, these early days.
All temporary and will be well worth it
Rest lots, keep up with your meds, short walks are all that's needed along with lots of icing and elevating.:ice::ice:
Healing vibes coming your way.

day 5, lots of icing, only taking Tylenol for pain didn't have to stay on the heavy Pain meds long, good for me. My surgery leg is very weak. I have been taking short walks and getting plenty of rest.

That's awesome you are off the heavy pain meds IF your pain is truly under control. We are all different and that day comes sooner for some than others @Texas1965. But it is important to have the pain controlled well enough that you can make trips to the kitchen, bathroom etc. without being in so much pain you don't want to do it. Guess what I'm really getting at is if your pain is controlled great, if you are being a tough guy you will only slow your recovery while hurting worse. Only you know which it is. Healing vibes your way my friend.

Thanks, I will say I did need one during the night. I'm no tough guy. I do like the Bone smart saying "Motion is Lotion". Seems to be working for me, and the ice.

I had the same issues @Texas1965, pain that is easy to ignore during the day can make sleep impossible, sounds like you are doing well.

I'm 2 weeks post op walking on crutches fine, feel like I'm getting stronger everyday. Question is how long before I should be on a cane. I don't want to push it, but I feel like my surgery leg is just so weak.

There's no set or suggested time, it's all about how you feel. If you're weak and not comfortable it's not time yet. If you force it you will either overdo or worse yet fall. Falling is a big no-no.

@Texas1965

You will notice that I merged your newest post with your original recovery thread. For several reasons, we prefer that you only have one recovery thread:
  • That way, we have all your information in one place. This makes it easier to go back and review your history before providing advice.
  • If you keep starting new threads, you miss the posts and advice others have left for you in the old threads, and some information may be unnecessarily repeated
  • Having only one thread will act as a diary of your progress that you can look back on.
Please post any updates, questions or concerns about your recovery here. If you prefer a different thread title, just post what you want and we will get it changed for you.

If you need an urgent response to a question, just tag a member of staff.

Many members bookmark their thread in their computer browser, so they can find it when they log on.

:wave:Hey Texas,
How are you doing these days? Wondering if you’ve felt comfortable enough to move to the cane yet. No big deal if not. Hopefully you’re feeling stronger week by week. We’d love to read an update if you have time to share one.
Happy One Month Anniversary! Have a great weekend. :)
@Texas1965

update started out patient therapy first few sessions were good but last too seems to make me hurt more than I think I should. Taking a break for awhile. I'm 4 weeks post surgery and my buttocks on surgery side seems to have little or no muscle, very weak. I was walking with a cane for a day or two, now back on crutches. May have over did it a little.

Definitely sounds like you over did it @Texas1965. Dropping PT is a wise idea, all hips need to recover is walking (and not to excess) and daily activities of living. Some of the muscle weakness will be alleviated just walking and you can always do PT for strength in a few months once you have healed. Unlike a sport injury you can't speed this recovery up with rehab, only by letting your body heal.

Has anyone had problems with the weather and hip pain, The other night I walk out side which was about 30 degrees colder than in side, I got a cold chill and it went to my hip prosthetic. my leg became numb I could not move and barely mad it back inside. I was miserable until I got my body temp back to normal. Spoke to my Doctor and he said he heard of this but had no explanation for this. Anyone else experience this?

Yes, many have mentioned / experienced this. You’re not alone.

For some people, especially true for patients with arthritic joints who have not had a joint replacement, but also the case even after you have a new prosthetic in place.

Weather changes are predicted by changes in barometric pressure, which is the weight of the air pressing against the earth's surface. These changes can trigger pain and stiffness in the area of the prosthesis. The activity of bone adapting and growing around the metal leads to the sensitivity felt during weather and pressure changes. These sensations normally disappear within one to two years following surgery.

Hope this helps. A peaceful weekend to you! :)
@Texas1965

Just an opinion, but unless other circumstances dictate, I would completely stop PT - there will be plenty of time for more intense efforts after a few more months.

Walk
Elevate and Ice
Walk
Elevate and Ice
Light stretching
Walk

@Texas1965
You will notice that I merged your newest post with your original recovery thread. For several reasons, we prefer that you only have one recovery thread:
  • That way, we have all your information in one place. This makes it easier to go back and review your history before providing advice.
  • If you keep starting new threads, you miss the posts and advice others have left for you in the old threads, and some information may be unnecessarily repeated
  • Having only one thread will act as a diary of your progress that you can look back on.
Please post any updates, questions or concerns about your recovery here. If you prefer a different thread title, just post what you want and we will get it changed for you.

If you need an urgent response to a question, just tag a member of staff.

Many members bookmark their thread in their computer browser, so they can find it when they log on.

That's the one great thing about my new hips is that weather doesn't effect them at all.

I had my surgery in May month and went through a hot southern US summer thankfully.
I did notice during the winter of that first year, that cold weather seemed to hurt my hips and thighs but I believe, instead of affecting prosthetics, that it aggravated the tight still healing tissues almost like the skeletal shiver response caused discomfort.
No problems now however, so though there have been a few possible explanations, likely All Temporary.:ok:

Happy Two Month Anniversary!
How are you doing since you last stopped by? Hopefully you’re feeling stronger and steadier with each passing week. I‘ll bet you’re enjoying some nice weather in sunny Cali. Thirty-four degrees and sunny here with snow on the ground, going to a whopping high of Forty three today! But hey, I’m not complaining...at least we’re finally heading up. I hope things are looking up for you also.
All the best! :SUNsmile:
@Texas1965

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• mendogal
    Staff member since November 10, 2023

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
HikerWalker
Recent bookmarks