wberry's First Timers TKR Nervous Cat

Status
Not open for further replies.
funny you mention cyclist...one of the people at my golf club who persuaded me to get the surgery is a 72 year old competitive cyclist with ginormous thighs who bounced back from a TKR in no time because of the strength in his quads...and the trainer helped my legs tremendously.....I found as my knees continued to worsen it became more difficult to push out of chairs and get up from the table without turning it over....does not hurt to build them both up..

Vinny

About the dental work. If certain bacteria enters the blood stream, it can be carried throughout the body. A bacterial infection can attach itself to the foreign body of the knee implant and cause a bio film of infection that can be very hard to treat. Worst case scenario, the knee has to be removed to get rid of the infection, and/or, it can cause loosening of the cement and require removal. Because of all the bacteria in the mouth, and the likelihood of breaking the skin even during routine cleaning, it has been considered preventive and cautious to take a single mega dose of antibiotics and hour before any dental work. This recommendation is under review, and some surgeons have dispensed with it, some only require it for two years, some say take it for life as a better safe than sorry approach. You said you didn't understand the dental work talk, so I wanted to explain the reason for the discussion rather than just say some do, some don't. My dentist wants me to take it because that's what my surgeon recommended, but as he pointed out, what about flossing teeth, which often breaks the skin and causes bleeding? The controversy about just taking it to be safer than sorry is the over usage of antibiotics in general which is leading to antibiotic resistant strains of bacteria that are much harder to treat.

Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart®

In my case it is not my OS but my two dentists that insist I take the antibiotics.

Yes, @Roy Gardiner , I'd say it depends on the condition of your legs before surgery. For me, I was quite sedentary before my first surgery as I barely hobbled around waiting for the end of school so I could get my knee done. My legs were pretty weak as I recovered.

I do think that being able to exercise with one good (new) knee and one not great knee before my second surgery made my recovery for "lefty" a bit easier. Yes, you're weak after the surgery but having some muscles in there seems like a good thing. Of course, a couple of weeks' exercise probably wouldn't help much, but a couple of months, maybe.
That said, training like crazy and aggravating the knees before surgery isn't necessarily a good thing either.

Sorry folks, I have been really busy at work and had to go on some major trips.
Prior to trips i went and got injections in both knees, I am so glad I did.
The right acted like it didn't even get a shot, but my left was happy.
So I tightened my brace up and bared through it.

Started vitamin regiment this week. 325 MG of Vitamin C, 325 mg iron and 325 mg Forlic Acid.\
All three times a day. Gosh this seems like a lot. But doctor says he wants to build up my blood count before surgery. Did anyone else do this?? Because of the trip I haven't been able to work out as much as i liked, but i am on it hot and heavy now. I am following @referee54 and @vinny suggestions and of course all of the other wonderful folks on the forum.

Glad to hear from you @wberry ...my blood count tends to be low so I may give your regimen a try..by a shot do you mean cortisone ? My OS would not operate for 6'months if I had one.....keep up the great work it will pay off..

Vinny

Hi wberry, glad that I have a surgery buddy!! I have not been put on a vitamin regiment as of now but I will ask at pre-op next week. As for exercising, that has been non existent as my knee hates it immensely.

Be sure you have lots of fiber and liquids while you're on iron as it has a tendency to stop you up.

No kidding, good grief and never thought poop could turn that color. "Black"
Forgive my detail, but I feel like I am ejecting rust. Started loading up on salad and fruit, but wife is gonna male me take Milk of Magnesia anyway. She says it is good practice for the similar results i will see after surgery.

Last edited by a moderator:
How do they decide if they will keep the PCL ligament that is in the back? I know they remove the ACL.

Also that friend of mine in church who used the same surgeon told me they preferred not to use the motion machine. The surgeon said they also had caused more problems than good in many of his patients. Any comments on this?

Ok @wberry I will assume you left an o out of the word pop....tmi. I think the decision to keep the PCI depends on the implant used (mine are the Sygma PFC)and the surgical perference...the PCL tends not to get in the way...I did not know he removed the ACL until 6 weeks after surgery ..My OS did not use the motion machine as I think he prefers to get you used to doing it yourself....so much depends on the preference of the Surgeon....

Vinny

Last edited by a moderator:
wberry let me know how your blood work goes after the next test....

Vinny

I am getting the items I need together. I am wondering if I should just use a bunch of pillows for elevation or a wedge pillow like this: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=B000MWED9U

I the bathroom I have a problem, no walk in shower, so I have to figure out how to get in an out of a shower.
The one in our bedroom has sliding glass doors. The guest tube/shower does not, so i might used that one instead. Can I use a standard outdoor plastic chair, or do i need the expensive one the sell for showers?

Wall holds for helping me get up when in the shower: http://www.amazon.com/Super-Grip-Gr...4&sr=1-15&keywords=shower+wall+suction+handle

Instead of the normal toilet I installed the oversize handicap toilet a year back because I like the height and size.
So I hope I will not need the toilet thrown.

I still have my cryo cuff and cooler, that will be my primary ice unit, but i thought I might get this for when I need to go out and need icing: http://www.amazon.com/Brownmed-Pola...=1424113003&sr=1-2-catcorr&keywords=cryo+cuff
or
http://www.amazon.com/Knee-Wrap-wit...sim_hpc_3?ie=UTF8&refRID=04CH6ACNFHJD93PFMVXA

What else do I need for at home anyone have any comment? @vinny, @kneeper .

Also that friend of mine in church who used the same surgeon told me they preferred not to use the motion machine. The surgeon said they also had caused more problems than good in many of his patients. Any comments on this?
Some surgeons like their patients to use the Continuous Passive Motion machine (CPM). Others don't. It's just a matter of protocol.
Some people like the CPM, and say that it is comfortable and helps their knee not to feel so stiff.
Other people hate it.
While some people feel that using a CPM helps in getting good Range of Motion (ROM) in the early days, whether you use it or not makes no difference to the final ROM.

I'd say use the CPM if your surgeon recommends it and if you find it OK. It will do no harm. But, if your surgeon doesn't recommend it, or you hate it, don't worry, because you'll still do just as well.

Whatever you put in the shower it helps to have arms to push up....I only used it for a few weeks.....it is difficult to get in the tub with a bilateral...paractice now with your good leg to see how it goes. The toilet ,shower chair,and ice were all I needed. I would go with the Brownmed wrap it is similar to what I use and find it better than the cooler.....

Vinny

Hi @wberry I think the idea of the Thrones is the arm rests for leverage and sopport. You may be ok with the extra height. But remember your knee wont bend like it does now and you may need to use your arms for support getting on and off.
Sounds like you are organised on the icing front. I go home from rehab on Friday and have a recliner for elevation. I'll keep my bed flat and use a pillow occasionally for elevation there.
I have only used a shower chair to sit in to wash my hair....I dont think I'll need one at home. Shower chair is like the Throne...strond arms for leverage. I don't think a plastic garden chair would really offer this with safety. We can hire this stuff...that may be an option for you.
Preps are going well. Take care Maggie x

Maggie via Tapatalk

I just used pillows. You can adjust them for your own leg length & comfort.

Yes for the pillows I always used one between my knees for sleeping...worked like a charm

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
JanieMarie