Revision TKR Wberry knee is up<

wberry

Sr Bonesmartie
Country
United States United States
Tally ho I am having problems getting a post out.

First day was painful. Second day was a little better but still painful started physical therapy.

Having pain in my right hip not sure if it happened during the surgery or if it was just worn out from the knee being like this.

Third they still got pain. Can't seem to straighten me out and I don't want to try. I'm trying guys.

Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum

Okay some of these meds are really weird so I think I'm going to ask them to switch because I'm having some strange delusions

Hope you get your meds straighted out. That can be a scary feeling, at least you are aware of what is causing it. Talk to the nurses and inform them. There are so many options they can choose from. Wishing you the best on the rest of the day.

Hope you are able to get relief today and get your meds under control. I look forward to your next post!

Home now, and finally had a bowl movement. Not that was painfully.
Fist out-paintient pt today. She is worried out the pain meds and wants less because it I plugging me and making me loo flasic.

I have to type slower now, meds make tinge weird

First of all welcome home and congratulations....my PT went over some of the reasons why my OS is not big on narcotic pain meds.......he feels they hinder recovery which seemed odd...he favors non narcotics also due to the constipation and nausea issues that plague many people....funny but most OS his patients have few pain issues...he will give narcotics in limited numbers and tries to get people off them as quickly as possible...loo flasic?

Vinny

You need some reading

First are the BoneSmart mantras ....
- rest, elevate, ice and take your pain meds by the clock
- if it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physiotherapist - to do it to you
- if your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again
- if you won't die if it's not done, don't do it
- never stand when you can sit, never sit when you can lie down, never stay awake when you can go to sleep!
- be active as much as you need to be but not more than is necessary, meaning so much that you end up being in pain, exhausted or desperate to sit down or lay down!

Next is a FAQ (Frequently Asked Questions) thread.

And here are some very crucial articles
The importance of managing pain after a TKR and the pain chart
Myth busting: no pain, no gain
Swollen and stiff knee: what causes it?
Activity progression for TKRs

Healing: how long does it take?
Chart representation of TKR recovery
Energy drain for TKRs
Elevation is the key
Ice to control pain and swelling

Home physio (PT) and activity progress: suggestions
Myth busting: the "window of opportunity" in TKR
Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds
Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

And then some wise words from members who have shared their experiences ...
Where are you in recovery?? (TKR)
Five “P’s” of knee recovery
TKR: work “smarter” and not “harder”
Recovering a knee - from one who knows!
It's never too late to get more ROM!
It's worth the wait for ROM

Thanks for that @Josephine.
I am going through a lot of what is there. But I want to win through this.

I one specific question first for @vinny, and @referee54
When does your knee finally start co-operating? Right now it's like its on strike and just won't do anything for me. I have the will but there doesn't seem to be the way.

Recently I have noticed that my left foot and leg acts more like a hand trying to help me lift and move my leg in and out of bed and when I need to move it off and on of pillows.

Am I working too hard on my exercises if I end up sweating a lot during them or after they're done.

I will say with all the exercise I put in, I should have more range of motion, and control over my knee, but everything seems to be on strike from above my knee down to above my ankle.

I just had my surgery this past Monday and I have about 8 different exercises to do and I try for ten reps each, I have not sweat doing them but after walking 4 loops around my apartment I did sweat. My PT was happy with my results so I'm not sure if you are overdoing it or that's just your body's reaction. As long as you are not getting pain, I'm sure you're ok.

Have a great Saturday!!

Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum

And watching one guy get up, walk pretty smoothly with his walker and cruse up and down the hall way didn't help. I seem to several problems:
First is weight-bearing on my knee I can't seem to put my foot down just like my other foot it just won't take the weight at the knee joint.
Second is lifting the lower part of my leg with the knee joint the knee just simply doesn't have any ability to lift it right now it all without assistance it goes up with some help but it just fights me.
Third is the response from the leg when I want to slide it or move it out it's hard to do that so I have to use my other lead to lift up under it to lift anything I guess it's a combination of the listing of the joint.
Lastly is when I try to pull my leg down straight I can pull my left leg now which is fine but when I try to pull the right one down to just get some point and just won't move anymore. Any help or encouragement from you guys on these topics would be grateful

I had a good at home PT session today. The new PT gave me exercises to do. She changed out some the ones I had to some more practical. I got through all of them today at the house including the circuit around the living room kitchen and back to the room. Once she gave me was to simply stand on both my legs and just shuffled back-and-forth from my right leg to left leg while holding onto the counter. Standing up and sitting down is much easier also. Doing my ice, elevate and rest now.

Last edited by a moderator:
keep up the good work Wberry....I had my surgery on the 18th of Feb. and like many of the people in here, we have all experienced what you are going thru...it is one step at a time...1 forward and 99 backwards! Keep up with the ice and elevation and doing your exercises at home..just don't over due it..hang in there and remember that you are doing GREAT!

That's the plan. How do you rate how you are now from
The start date, verses a couple weeks out?

Last edited by a moderator:
I rate my progress on how I am feeling...I can sit on the toilet a lot more comfortable than I could last week..I walk with a bit less of a limp than I had last week..I can sit a little bit longer than I could last week...I just try to take it one day at a time..

When does your knee finally start co-operating? Right now it's like its on strike and just won't do anything for me.
@wberry as yet you are not even one week out from your surgery. You are not going to get any 'co-operation' from your leg for 2-3 weeks yet. If you work so hard at exercises you will end up setting your recovery BACK by a considerable amount.

Did you actually read the articles I left you? In particular the first group of four. They are crucial and you should take them to heart in full.
Am I working too hard on my exercises if I end up sweating a lot during them or after they're done
This would be because of the energy drain. That's another important article to read. If you are getting wiped out and sweating after any activity then you shouldn't be doing it. Period. Just now your body needs to focus on healing and that takes a major amount of your energy leaving you little or none to do anything else. So your objective right now, in the first 3 weeks, should be rest, rest and more rest.

I suggest you read the potted version of my recovery to see how little exercising I did! Knee recovery - UK style. Also my current thread for my second replacement Josephine's knee story and amazing progress where I did even less!

I remember breaking into a sweat for the littlest things. Getting dressed, showering etc. It will get better slowly but surely.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Dave4562
Recent bookmarks

Latest posts