BoneSmart® Hip / Knee Replacement Forum
Joint Replacement Patient Advocacy
and Online Community
  1. RATE YOUR SURGEON ON OUR NEW JOINT SURGEON LOCATOR

Your opinion matters so please click on this announcement to find out how to rate the surgeons you have worked with

You could also go to the Surgeon Locator via the blue nav bar at the top - find the tab "Surgeon Locator"

Dismiss Notice

Wayfarer's Pre-Op Thread

Discussion in 'Hip Replacement Pre-Op Area' started by Wayfarer, Jan 3, 2019.

1. Wayfarer

Wayfarer member

S F Bay Area — Please don't write "Frisco."
    United States United States
    I ain't cancelling unless something weird happens in the next couple/few days (gotta get another blood test for an abnormal protein "issue" in my blood, but that only is another issue if I have to get a blood transfusion during surgery--not likely, but my HMO just wants to cover their tracks, and this maybe coming out of my TTP ordeal over ten years ago).

Yes, I will get my own recovery thread going (I just don't want to draw attention to myself and using up all the bandwidth on the internets); don't want mojo on me any further about derailing your recovery thread. :heehee: Sarcasm escapes many. I gotta keep it light sometimes, death is all around us. A celebrity of sorts here in Northern California, Pete Wilson (not the former governor, mind), died on the operating table at Stanford Hospital getting hip replacement. Not something I plan (like I can plan on it), but do have a "death directive" in place (not to be confused with a trust and will--already done after my brother's demise and dealing with his limited "things" a decade now later). Interesting, I don't think that is discussed here at BoneSmart i.e. death and lining things up before going under.

Another note: man, I am hurtin'. Don't know if it's the cold weather, but trying to get around the last few days, whew! i guess that is apropos; you know, you need a hip replacement, it's gotten so bad that you are being wheeled in to GET to the procedure. :ok:

Regarding that umbilical surgery, I had it done about two years ago, piece of cake! Couldn't lift anything or swim or play in our team tennis districts, but just for a month. Nothing like hip replacement! Well, I haven't quite had that done yet. It will be a cake walk for you AFTER two hip replacements.

• Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  2. Layla

Layla FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

As you can see, WhyAskMe, your friend, Wayfarer, isn't the silent type and has a lot to contribute here so it would be nice for him to have a great majority of his commentary and other member's responses in a thread of his own. With his surgery on Monday, he could start one on the Recovery side at this point. So do it, @Wayfarer and we'll leave you the Recovery Guidelines. I don't think death is discussed here because it's depressing and while it's a reality, at some point, for all of us, most wouldn't feel comforted by the thought of dying during their joint replacement surgery. To me, that possibility and it's aftermath is for each individual to contemplate or plan for on their own. It's unlikely to happen and too depressing for most to discuss going into surgery which brings enough anxiety. We're all made aware of the stats / percentage of fatalities through our OS at the appt when surgery is discussed. At least that's the way it happened for me. Each has an option to do what they wish, once receiving that information.
    Edit: in reading an article on Pete Wison's death it runs deeper than him mysteriously dying in surgery or shortly thereafter.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. Layla

Sorry for another derail WhyAskMe. It won't happen again.
    Wayfarer definitely needs his own thread. If for no other reason than to not derail another's with some of his thought provoking commentary that needs a response.

4. Celle

Celle FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

New Zealand New Zealand
    @Wayfarer ,
    I have moved your post from WhyAskMe's thread, which should focus on his own recovery.

When you insert comments that focus on you and seem to need a response, you are causing a derailment of the thread.
    Forum etiquette: being polite when posting

It's better to have your own thread, and then we can talk to you about your concerns.
    You were asked at least twice to start your own thread, and there is no concern about you using up bandwidth.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 4, 2019
  5. Celle

New Zealand New Zealand
    Have you seen the pre-op reading we give to people, to help them prepare for surgery?

Longevity of implants and revisions: How long will my new joint last?

If you are at the stage where you are planning to have surgery but are looking for information so you can be better prepared for what is to come, take a look at these links:
    Recovery Aids: A comprehensive list for hospital and home
    Recliner Chairs: Things you need to know if buying one for your recovery
    Pre-Op Interviews: What's involved?

And if you want to picture what your life might be like with a replaced hip, take a look at the posts and threads from other BoneSmarties provided in this link:
    Stories of amazing hip recoveries

Your surgery isn't far away, so here is the recovery reading as well:
    Hip Recovery: The Guidelines
    1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now, they are almost certainly temporary
    2. Control discomfort:
    rest
    elevate
    ice
    take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)​
    3. Do what you want to do BUT
    a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you
    b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.​
    4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of these
    5. Here is a week-by-week guide for Activity progression for THRs

Pain management and the pain chart
    Healing: how long does it take?
    Chart representation of THR recovery

Dislocation risk and 90 degree rule
    Energy drain for THRs
    Pain and swelling control: elevation is the key

Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it

Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds
    Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

BIG TIP: Hips actually don't need any exercise to get better. They do a pretty good job of it all on their own if given half a chance. Trouble is, people don't give them a chance and end up with all sorts of aches and pains and sore spots. All they need is the best therapy which is walking and even then not to excess.

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery. While members may create as many threads as they like in a majority of BoneSmart's forums, we ask that each member have only one recovery thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review history before providing advice.

6. Wayfarer

Wayfarer member

Thank you Celle for moving my own commentary to my own post/thread. And yes, I have been moving through a lot of the information you have outlined above, thank you!

Yes Layla, the Pete Wilson thing was a little deeper than any "mystery." From what I gather he was very anxious about the surgery and was admitted to the ER the night before his surgery. Definitely sad, I enjoyed his radio show more than his presence on TV; he tended to be a moderate and had some really thought-provoking radio shows and commentary. Certainly a SF Bay Area personality that has been missed.

Well, got a call from the hospital/group; a 6 am arrival, guess I'm first on the docket for Monday.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Layla

Great news! I wish you all the best. You know we're here for you and will be your biggest
    supporters and encouragers.
    Will look forward to your post op :thumb: thumbs up.
    Wishing you comfort as you await your big day. I'll bet you do great!
    @Wayfarer

8. Klassy

Klassy senior

United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Hi Wayfarer
    I certainly thought about the possibility of dying on the table. I would have updated my will, but figured it was sufficiently up to date. I told my husband that if I was going to be severely disabled and if they gave him a choice, he had to go for the off button. A physiotherapist told me 2 years ago that I needed at least one THR, but I was so frightened by the idea that I wasted over a year before increasing pain and disability made me face it. And less than 2 weeks before operation I ended up in ER with what was diagnosed as an anxiety attack -I’m so glad I hadn’t heard about Pete Wilson until I read your post today! As you can probably tell already, I am a member of the worrier tribe. Once I decided to have the op, I stopped myself from googling it. Which was a pity, because I didn’t find Bonesmart until post op, and there is so much wisdom on here that I would have benefited from.

And you know what? I woke up fine and every day I’m getting better. I love my new hip and I can tell already how much better life will be. I’m only at Day 25 and there is still plenty of time for things to go awry, but from what I read on Bonesmart, almost every setback comes from pushing too hard too soon, and even the worst and rarest problems are fixed in time.

Congratulations on having a date for your transformation. I will be looking out for your thread in the post op recovery area.

PS if you think you are chewing up the bandwidth, you should see my thread!

• Like Like x 1
  9. Josephine

Josephine FORUM ADMIN, NURSE DIRECTOR Administrator

IF this story is true then it's only the second one I've ever heard of in 55 years of theatre nursing. DOTTs (deaths on the table) really don't happen because the patient is hugely monitored and cared for throughout surgery.

10. Eman85

Eman85 post-grad

People are dieing today that never did it before! I had the same thoughts and approached the whole deal with a checklist. The first step was showing up for the surgery, once there I was committed to it. Waking in recovery was the next step. Having both legs and feet facing the same direction, next step and on and on.
    This is a major surgery and as lightly as most make it there are risks and problems afterwards.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Wayfarer

Wayfarer member

Thank you Layla.

Klassy, well, when I first really read between the lines after having an X-ray i.e. I "may" have to get a hip replaced (this was probably a year ago) of course I jumped online to "look" at things and really winced, like this really can't be happening. At 58??? Mom and uncle had their's in their late 60's and maybe early 70's respectfully. But I do see a number of people younger than me with the same issue here.

The last few days have been pretty painful, so I don't know if it's this cold snap or my body knowing that the time is coming, but I'm like, I don't know how I'm going to come out the other end, but I gotta take the plunge, this is getting ridiculous. So it's great/comforting reading all the stories and experiences here. Great to read that YOU "woke feeling fine."

Josephine, you've only heard of two cases??? The second being Pete Wilson? Wow, then it's very rare. The Pete Wilson thing just resonated with me because he was local. It wasn't even till I started researching my own plight that I thought, hmmm, Pete Wilson, middle-aged man, surgery, dying? What was he on the operating table for? It was then that I discovered it was in fact for hip replacement surgery; I kinda had a hunch, but that was confirmed. So without re-researching it, I think it was a heart issue brought on by his anxiety about the operation. They did do a "mini" (nurse's words) EKG on me and everything seemed fine.

Yes Eman, checklists, baby steps. That's the frustrating thing for me, to accept that this is going to be a long haul. But, whatcha gonna do is what I have to remind myself...

• Like Like x 1
  12. Mojo333

Mojo333 FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

I had double the trouble...double the surgery time, double the blood loss, double the infection risk, double the post op pain...
    No post op complications!

Nothing compared to the double pain and stress I was putting my body though prior to BTHR.

You will do very well, I think, @Wayfarer ...IF you can be patient for the short term...might not be so long of a haul.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    Last edited: Jan 5, 2019
  13. Celle

New Zealand New Zealand
    We all only die once. No one has done it before.

Despite everyone's fears, the incidence of deaths during surgery has not risen. The risk is extremely low. In fact, with the increased knowledge of anaesthetics and the advances in patient monitoring, the chances of dying while under anesthesia are lower than they were in the past.

14. Wayfarer

Wayfarer member

Mojo, I admire you for the double. I kinda said to my OS, hey, if you have time, maybe throw in a new hip on the other side while you're at it? Negative he said, he didn't quite get that I was being facetious at first.

At the time we were addressing my one hip back six months ago, the other never really came up other than it will probably have to be replaced down the road. Since the the six months and the hip that is going to be replaced has steadily got worse, I've been thinking about a double and how the pain et al would also double like you outlined above, but it would only be once. Also, the recovery (from some charts I saw here) doesn't seem like twice the effort.

I hope after this first replacement, perhaps the other hip won't go downhill fast as perhaps my compromised hip is affecting the other. Hopefully I can bide some time enjoying some relatively pain free time before I have to address the other hip (if at all). *fingers crossed (not legs!)*

• Like Like x 1
    Last edited: Jan 5, 2019
  15. Mojo333

Mojo333 FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

I do hope your other hip will hang in there.
    I am ever grateful to have new hips...and feel decades younger since my BTHR.
    It's tantamount to getting rid of an aching rotten tooth that isn't going to get any better.
    Your new and improved hip will give you your life back.
    Will be thinking of you and wishing you well.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Klassy

Klassy senior

Wishing you well for tomorrow, see you on the other side!

• Like Like x 1
  17. Jaycey

Jaycey SUPER MODERATOR Moderator

All the best tomorrow @Wayfarer ! See you on the other side soon!

• Like Like x 1
  18. Layla

Best wishes for tomorrow. I hope you're able to get some sleep tonite.
    Surgery will soon be behind you and you'll be on your way to recapturing life as you knew it before
    the pain began. Will look forward to your first post on the Recovery side.
    @Wayfarer

• Like Like x 1
  19. WhyAskMe

WhyAskMe member

Hi Will.

I hope you're not getting too anxious today? Relax my friend, you'll do great!

I look forward to following your journey as you did mine...but, I won't derail your thread like....did I ever tell you about that one time in band camp? :rotfl:

Last edited: Jan 6, 2019
  20. WhyAskMe

WhyAskMe member

BTW, good luck tomorrow and let's catch up on the "other side" brother!