THR Watch out tennis balls ! Tennisnut has landed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi ByGosh, I'm doing very well thanks. I'm still doing PT but only 2/week as I'm only about 30% healed and cannot do any strength/resistance training yet. My OS told me to slow down as tendinitis will be my future if I don't watch out :gaah: But all in all I'm doing very well. I only use tramadol if my quads scream at me and I still take my blood thinner. I use the TENS machine less and less now as I am more comfortable in all aspects. I used it the most pre-op (multiple times during day and before bedtime) and then I used it post-op after exercising with ice (daily) and as such it cut out that break through pain we all suffer with in the afternoon. I suggest you go see a chiropractor and lie down with for 10 minutes and see if it helps you before you make the commitment to buy it. After every chiropractor treatment I had, I ended it with TENS stimulation and ice, so I knew what the effect was for me. I hope it works for you! All the best for you :)

ladies, I have a question, 2 weeks post op and dong just fine, off all pain meds besides blood thinner, walking unaided, metabolism sorted out and sleeping very well BUT... I am post menopause, know all about hot flashes and menopause symptoms, but I have these chills and then clammy heat and then chills again in the very summer inside my house! Anyone else have this, or know what is going on? My internal temperature gauge is broken :egypdance: :what:

Yes, I had exactly the same thing. First an awful chill followed by an almighty hot flash. The chills are gone but I still have the occasional hot flash. I've researched them but all the sites talk about menopause, which is only a distant memory for me. Also, two stool softeners a day keep me regular. BTW, I'm 7 months out.

So glad to read about your good recovery progress TennisNut... sorry I've been absent, glad to be back visiting the forum :yay:. And ByGosh I think TENS would be an asset to you! I still use mine evenings with icepacks over... seems to really help. Hello Giraffe44... it's the same crazy corrupted temperature gauge here... I was wondering if anyone else had those hots & colds post-surgery... also post menopause here..... :what:

Thanks for the reply TennisNut I don't really know a chiropractor to see for info and a sampling of TENS, but I'll figure something out. Thanks again for the info. And I'm so glad you're doing well!
SeaSiren and Giraffe44 I was on Coumadin for 3 weeks post-op and I felt cold almost all of the time. I googled side effects and feeling chilly was one of them. I also occassionally had hot flashes at night. I definately feel that the blood thinner caused me to feel so freezing, but I don't know about the hot flashes. Although TennisNut had that, too. I'm sure it'll go away, though.
Good to hear from you SeaSiren. I'll have to visit your thread to catch up, and ask you some questions, too, about your experience with TENS.

TennisNut hey glad to hear from you! I am actually relieved to hear that you are backing off your PT per OS. It's like you're paying and I'm benefiting heheh. I'm going to wait on going to the out-patient PT for a few more weeks-- Tendinitis, Do not Want. Love all this free advice exactly when I need it! :) *quickly removes little ankle weights from exercise area*
So now you're only doing PT twice a week, what do you do to fill all that lovely spare time with?

SeaSiren !!! Hugs!! How have you been? I was at your thread this morning, will have to go back, um let's see, tomorrow. I was freezing for about the first week home-- I thought it was because it was not warm out (or in) and I was wearing all that ice. Maybe it was something else. All I have taken (today was the last day) for blood thinning is aspirin. I still put on a sweater if I'm going to take a nap on the couch, cos I always get colder when I sleep :) Unless I'm having a hot flash....those for me are likely food-related (wheat, say, or 'fast carbs", say.) And, I always have a hot flash about 6-8 minutes after getting back into bed from a trip to the bathroom. This has persisted long past menopause. I read someplace that it's common with fibromyalgia, but I'm not taking a formal dx on that just yet. Quite frustrating, I have to wait for it with covers pulled down, then pull them back up when it's over. All the while hoping I stay sleepy long enough to actually go back to sleep LOL.

have you seen the article from the library about TENS machines and pain management?
Poppet I don't think I actually read it-- I've had TENS before and loved it or found it neutral. Can't buy every lovely helper I want...:sigh:

ByGosh just a quick note that you do not need to worry about how to work the TENS, it comes with instructions and is extremely easy to use! :)

Giraffe44, it is kinda interesting that so many of us have these extreme temperature anomalies! I'm totally off my medication besides the blood thinner..... Maybe that is the culprit! Oh we'll, I'm taking it happily instead of that bone pain!

zauberflöte, no backing off here! Although I'm not walking a mile at a time anymore, I take shorter walks more frequenty. I moved the commode away from the downstairs bathroom, so now when the urge hits me, I have to take the stairs! My scar is practically healed, I have two small places with scabs, and once they're gone , I'm in the pool! My lounge has been turned into a gym, so during the course of the day ill be standing on my wobble board, practicing balance or ill be marching :). I thank my lucky stars I have my piano otherwise I would've gone on a killing spree! Oh Lordy, I did buy myself orthaheel shoes :sigh: they are ugly...... Is this the next phase?

TennisNut wow-- wobble board, walk a mile at a time, or used to-- I'm not sure I walk a mile in a day!! I could not walk a whole mile at once, my hip gets tired after a walk down the street! Have to rest it up for hours before another walk. I don't march, it hurts, and I've been reading so much about tendinitis here that I think I'll wait till it doesn't hurt. I feel like my gait is doing really well-- smooth on the straightaway anyway! Need to lengthen the stride, but that will come one of these months. I just don't want to have a relapse, you know?
I keep telling myself I'm gong to practise. And then I lose my concentration. Phooey. Maybe tomorrow. I think you are much more focused and energetic than I am....
I was paying attention to water temp last night in the shower, and noticed that the warm water felt quite hot on my arms, hands, and legs, but not on my face. I wonder if this is some of that temperature fluctuation going on-- it was weird!
My scar is still 90% covered by a piece of tape that I must be patient about. It will come off when it wants. It is very sticky. Sigh. The scabs underneath the tape will probably be mummified by Christmas.

Gotta know-- how does one use a wobble board. You must have really good balance to start with, and your tennis reflexes make you turn on a dime. Just the thought of playing tennis hurts, but not so much as 4 weeks ago LOL! How are your hands and shoulders holding up?

ByGosh just a quick note that you do not need to worry about how to work the TENS, it comes with instructions and is extremely easy to use! :)
Thanks for that TennisNut. I'm still considering it, but now I know that I can order one without fear of searing my skin or frazzling my nerves, or something!

TennisNut I was looking at Tens machines on Amazon yesterday. I have the Electrical current therapy at PT three times per week and I really like it. From what I read on Amazon, it really helps people with hip, back pain. Which Tens machine do you have?
PT has really helped me. I talk one Celebrex per day and Tylenol 1,000 mg 2-3 x per day
At PT, they place the pads according to where my pain is. The other day, it was really in my groin and periformus

Mamarey yes I love it too! I have a little portable one, CMS 3000 and at the moment I have it on my thigh and on the side of my lower leg, before that I had all 4 pads on my lower and mid back. I also put the pads exactly where i have pain.
I am enjoying my PT immensely, today all the stationery bikes were occupied, so we tried te elliptical, it was great!
It sounds lie you're doing great! :yay:

Yes TennisNut You and Mamarey are almost running neck to neck in your amazingly active recoveries. Bicycles, ellipticals, PT exercises - Wow. Our prize recovery patients are both seeming to do so well and zooming right along. Remember to take time to rest, too, so you don't get too tired out.
Keep up the good work and keep us posted on your progress. Take care. Sending good thoughts your way.

TennisNut I will have to look up that model on Amazon. As my PT said, I should not have to use a Tens machine for my hip, I should have a complete recovery...however, the rest of my body has lots of arthritis, especially my C1-C-4 (bone spurs), lower back, and hands..., may be a good investment to ward off pain flares, especially in the cold damp days of fall and winter...I love summer, heat, humidity, I feel so much better

Hi TennisNut How are you doing? I imagine that you're doing great and that's why you haven't posted in a while. Thanks to you, I pursued the CMS3000 and was able to go to provider who prescribed one for me. It's a CMS7000, as he didn't have the 3000, but they're basically the same, except my screen is digital. I don't care - it seems to help! I've been able to be on my feet more, and have done some baking lately. I'm glad I have it and hope it continues to help the pain. So, thanks very much for the information and your help with all of this. I can't tell you how much I appreciate it! :yay: Hope you're doing great!

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Dave4562