THR Watch out tennis balls ! Tennisnut has landed

Status
Not open for further replies.
You will get the hang of it.. I still seem to be less restless in bed at 18 + months...

Congratulations by the way on your shiny new hip :)

Hello TennisNut Just checking in to see how you're doing today. Hope you're fairing well and managing your pain without any problem. Keep resting and let us know how everything is going. Take care. :)

ByGosh, :friends: hi and thanks for checking up, but how are you doing? I'm bushed today, another 3 hrs of rehab, and I feel as if I have been run over by a train! Although I can walk without my cane now I need to make sure that form is good! I'm looking forward to a holiday tomorrow! I was shown today that I can sleep on my operated side and even on my tummy so I cannot wait to go to bed! :sleep:
Stay happy ! :flwrysmile:

Hi TennisNut Just checking in to see how you're doing. I hope your recovery is going well and you're managing your pain with no problems. Let us know how you're doing. Sending all good wishes to you. :)

TennisNut Sunday was your last post? Where have I been???? Three hours of rehab, that's quite a lot to get through. I don't think I could-- you are energetic for sure! How do you sleep on op side? I'd like to know that trick :) Check in soon! :)

ByGosh, zauberflöte hi fellow hippies! I'm doing just great! Nice of you girls to check in! I have 3 hrs of rehab for 7 days, I'm on day 5! Every day is stronger than the previous, I had one setback where I tried to be too acrobatic in bed,,, tried to sleep on my good side, got my foot stuck in the sheet and to protect my hip i yanked my leg and pushed it further than it wanted to go :yikes: I gingerly after speaking in several tongues, felt my groin to see if all was still in place, and submissively slinked back onto my back and stayed there like a good girl! The next day at therapy was pure hell! Every gap I found I iced myself and gave 'being frigid' a whole new meaning! :beg: thank goodness my muscle seemed to have calmed down and I'm back on track! :egypdance: this was the best thing I've done for myself in ages! I love my hip and my surgeon! My scar is only about 4 inches long and no staples! :loll: minimal swelling, as you can gather its going really very well. How are you girls doing?

Poppet, you are so right! I'm as quiet as a mouse sleeping on my back now with an array of pillows around me! :)

TennisNut SeaSiren Tennisnut, you really are a nut! Another comic we have here! So, let me get this straight: you get three hours of in-home PT EVERY DAY??!?!??:yikes: I run through my 20-minute repertoire 3 times a day if I'm good, as today. NOT stronger every time necessarily. But on the whole I begin every day stronger than I began the last. I got to take the dressing off yesterday so I'm bare to the breezes except for a long piece of clear tape running down it. It is not sore or anything, and my undies just clear it. My leg is still fairly swollen, and the bruising, oh MY! mr ZF looked for arnica cream, the Rite Aid was out, and he didn't think to go to the Walgreens across the street. So I guess I'll just brazen it out, all purple and green all the way down my calf too ICK!
What an adventure with the sheets you had. I slosh around in my water bed, so no movement happens fast. I think, after this is all over, that I'm going to retire the water bed for a foam slab covered with that 3" memory foam I bought. I think I liked that better. OTOH, there's nothing like a warm water bed on a cold winter night....
How are yalls appetites? My stomach has shrunk, so it seems, and I have lost my taste for so many foods that i love. But I'm supposed to eat alot for building blocks of healing! I remember this from previous surgery, but only losing taste for one or two foods, not a whole long list! I ate too much chocolate ice cream and too many pretzel sticks today. I do not plan to repeat that, but then I didn't plan this either LOL!
Should have washed my little white knee-highs today.... nasty things.
See you tomorrow! :)

Hello TennisNut My goodness, you're working hard, and enjoying it, too! You're sure you're ok and it's not too much? The rest of us are pure lazy bones compared to you. I have a feeling you're in pretty good shape anyway, though.
So keep up the good work, and I'm so happy for you that you're in love with both your hip and your surgeon. Can't get much better than that. I'm sure he'll be proud of your accomplishments! Good luck with the rest of your rehab, and keep us posted on your progress.

TennisNut, 3 hrs of rehab is hardcore! Well done.

zauberflöte, my appetite has increased - something I did not need. Trying to eat healthy but just craving comfort foods!

Anyone heard from SeaSiren?

Hope y'all have a good day/night!

zauberflöte, ByGosh, beckylou :rotfl: y'all make me laugh! I am very fortunate, I seem to heal really fast and have loads of energy! Just to explain my rehab, I was discharged from hospital on my second day. My wound looks realy good, never any seeping and no bandage on day 7! On the fourth day I started a 7 day outpatient rehab process at bryn mawr rehab hospital,, a van picks me up at home and drops me again at 2 pm after lunch. I took this option as my hubby had to go to Germany for a business trip. At the centre we have our vitals checked by a nurse and start rehab 10-12:00. Lunch 12:30 to 13:00 and rehab 13:00-14:00 and then back home again. It has been an excellent choice and can only recommend this to everybody having joint replacement! I will start a twice a week program with one hour sessions next week and hopefully we will move towards resistance exercises and some cardio! I did a 15min stationary bike ride today and it was awesome! Sweating and smiling from ear to ear! :bicycle1: Btw, I've never had a nurse or an health care official come to my house :)
I'm looking forward to a barbecue tonight and a glass of wine! I was totally of coffee for the longest time, I just could not take the taste and ended up with that withdrawal headache that no pill takes away! :gaah: I also only wore those nasty stockings one night in hospital!

Well enough of me! What devilish things have y'all been up to?

TennisNut SeaSiren beckylou ByGosh
re appetite-- for 2 previous surgeries decades ago, I lost my taste for this or that food. This time around for several foods, and the stomach doesn't hold what it did before. I eat a huge oatmeal/1 egg/fruite/juice/soy bev breakfast, and can't stomach that all now post-op, so have to break it down over the course of the morning b/c I count on each food for something or other. Lunch is always beans and rice, but the beans now give gas. Etc. Today it's much better-- I really think that Maeve you can still put it down to the meds-- the GA stays with us for a long time...
Sheesh, Sally! how can you just leap into sweaty cardio with no preamble?? I have done no cardio worthy of the name since January-- gonna be 5 min at low intensity and work my way painfully and slowly up the ladder YET AGAIN. (sorry, I resent myself a little on that issue...) I'm sorry about your coffee withdrawal-- I'm lucky on that one, don't drink enough of it to get dependent.
Have not heard from Seasiren.. every day I mean to go look for her, and maybe I even do-- this forum takes a lot of (very fun!) time!! :) :)

TennisNut You are truly the hero of rehab here! Firstly, the program at Bryn Mawr Hosp. sounds very well-suited to you. A nurse, lunch, bike, cardio, etc. - they've got it all. Even the transportation. Was it specifially a program for hip replacement? I really can't believe you can do all of it! Amazing. Congratulations, you'll be off of recovery road in no time!You do get the gold star, that's for sure. Enjoy that BBQ and the wine. I hope your caffeine withdrawal headache is gone now, too.
beckylou The only foods I wanted post-op were bland comfort foods - like nice, mushy oatmeal with lots of milk, potatoes, plain chicken, toast - I didn't get my appetite back until I was off of Coumadin and getting around more - three weeks. I just felt blah and my stomach did, too. So I understand your craving!
Maeve Yes, it's the meds that give us the sweet tooth! :) And the surgery, and our bodies needing the calories to repair itself, and our brains needing a sugar boost to keep us happy...any and all of those.
zauberflöte Yeah, the tummy seems to shrink, doesn't it? Plus the lower activity level doesn't burn as many calories, so we don't get as hungry, I think. I hardly need to eat anything because I hardly do anything now a days. Although, I did manage to go to the pool today and walk 5min than paddle around a bit and I'm not dying with severe pain! I'm scared of tomorrow, though. Got my fingers crossed that this is the start of a good thing. Hope you're doing well. I posted on your thread, too. TTFN (tatafornow)

ByGosh, Littlejem, Maeve, beckylou, zauberflöte, SeaSiren, ladies, I have a question, 2 weeks post op and dong just fine, off all pain meds besides blood thinner, walking unaided, metabolism sorted out and sleeping very well BUT... I am post menopause, know all about hot flashes and menopause symptoms, but I have these chills and then clammy heat and then chills again in the freaking summer inside my house! Anyone else have this, or know what is going on? My internal temperature gauge is broken :egypdance: :what:
I'm sitting on my recliner with a blanket, this is crazy :whistle: how are my fellow hipsters doing?

TennisNut wow no meds! What do you "feel" now that you ahve no meds-- I am very tight, and there's the odd pain here and there, and often muscle cramps-- but actually I think I can take less than I am. Gonna give that a try :)
I can't help you with the chills/sweats. I was very cold for several days, and put it to the GA wearing off plus all that ice. I'd be shivering with a quilt, everybody else t-shirts in the a/c which was set at 77! Maybe you quit the hard stuff too fast and this is withdrawal?? But you know what-- do search for hot flash, and other terms like that-- I've seen discussions of it but can't remember where
.Went to see OS PA today-- will post on my thread :) All good news, and we stopped by Kroger on the way home to get pineapple for bruises, and then I did some stuff for hubby's road trip, so I think I will be sitting with feet up the rest of the day, do not do PT, do not collect $200 LOL

I still get hot sweats especially at night and I do feel the cold quite a bit but it doesn't sound like what you are experiencing and I think mine is still the menopause. Sorry I can't help I've no ideas x

zauberflöte, straight to jail and hang out with the jbirds! Excellent news that its going well with you too! I've been off the meds for 3 days now, it gets better and better. I have stiffness in my hip and thigh area, uncomfortably stiff, but icing helps, being able to sleep well on both my sides and tummy helps!, then I have low back pain where I zap myself with my tens machine - It works! And sometimes, becoming more rare I get like nerve pain shooting downwards from my knee, but then I just ice, elevate and give my leg the time it obviously need to calm down :whistle: I've been extremely lucky and have no bruising below my incision, looking forward to seeing my OS on Tuesday, I want to drive my car! I think my leg is having trouble adapting to the learning of a new stride, I think we all must've been walking with the affected leg stepping outwards and now we have to make that conscious effort of bringing the leg forwards :).
Hugs to you hipsista! Enjoy relaxing

Littlejem, yep I thought well ok I'm slap back in menopausal symptoms, but I then went to search and it seems like it could also be the anesthesia, I had a spinal tap.... I'll take it at that - it seems it's quite common, I guess it'll sort itself out. Thanks or the reply :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011
  • Axx72
    Staff member since December 27, 2023

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties