Watch 2019 JRAD Videos

Was Any One Else As Scared As I Am

Status
Not open for further replies.

Misty

You know I have had major surgeries before, but this one I am terrified of. I don't know why, except maybe it's the first time I have had to do something like this without my husband here. I have some self improvement tapes, CDs, in fact a new one I just sent for that I haven't listened to yet for people that are nervous about surgery. Has anyone used meditation tapes or self improvement tapes that were scared about this surgery?

I am really TRYING to change my thinking. It's like a large part of me wants to get fixed and get back all the things I have given up, and than something pulls me back into fear. I am trying not to do that. AND, I know this is weird, but my doggie is old and has health problems, and I hate leaving her. I do have a wonderful young lady that can take care of her while I am in the hospital, but I will miss her so much. My doggie, Misty, (I stole her name), is my best buddy. We should all wake up with her attitude. As much as she has arthritis and problems, she wakes up happy and it seems every day to her is a new adventure!! She has been with me now for 9 1/2 years.

I am preparing her to stay with this young lady by having her come and walk her and she brings her dog LEO, LOL, yes, now Misty has a doggie boyfriend, and she walks them together and they play. So, she should be happy with them. She also has a 12 year old daughter and she said Misty can sleep in her bed:)LOL So, she will have a good temporary home while I am away. Now I have to get myself ready mentally for this.
Misty

JudyS

alpha
Country
United States United States
I have a special doggie, Buddy. When we first got him the kkids begged me to stay home as he cried the whole time i was gone. I always worry about him when i am gone. He is always just happy waiting for me.

I really have not been scared about any of my surgeries, i don't know why. Maybe the confindence in the doctors. Not sure i never even get scared towards the actual day, just rush around because i have turned into a procrastinator. Before the hip surgery there were so many things i wanted to do knowing they would not be allowed in recovery.
I was taking vicodin to get through the pain of it and hiking every day. Super long hike with my Buddy on the day before.
I did running, jumping , hopping all those pounding things that would be bad after. I did forget to get a jump rope though.
judy

Josephine

NURSE DIRECTOR EMERITUS
Nurse Director
Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
Scared is a pejorative word. Much better to think of yourself as being excited, anxious or apprehensive all of which are perfectly natural.

You are about to undergo significant surgery which requires you putting yourself in the hands of total strangers, most of whom you won't even set eyes upon. Then you have a life-changing consequence which you find it almost impossible to visualise. And you'll be doing this without the comfort and support of your much loved husband.

I'd say, that given all that, your feelings are perfectly natural. In fact, if I'd had one single pound for every patient in my career who'd shyly confided in me as they waited in the holding bay or the anaesthetic room, that they were scared or terrified, I would now be an extremely wealthy woman!

And for what it's worth, despite all my years working in the operating room and in joint replacements in particular, yes, I too was very apprehensive in the weeks and days leading up to the event. So much so, I would cheerfully have done a disappearing act from the pre-op ward in the last few hours!

It's natural - just roll with it and try not to let it get you down.

classic57year

Hun you are not alone. I had my hip replaced sept 30 2009. I was scared to death. I am 52 yrs old and have not spent the night in a hospital since I was born. I can say that 4 months out I am back to work & feel great. I kept visualizing myself in the future with no pain. I guess that helped the most for me. I don't think you would be human if you weren't scare. I will probably have to get my other hip done in the next couple of years. Because I have complete confidence in my surgeon & I know what to expect I don't think I'll be nearly as aprehensive. Pray alot & ask every question you can think of to your Dr. Alot of the fear is the unknown. Good luck.

jaz

senior
My daughter keeps asking me this and I say I have this little fantasy recovery pictured in my head where I will wake up totally pain free and leap out of bed and get on with life, how it was a few years ago. I know from past experiences that its not going to work that way, but its a short term solution to the long term goal.

pilot1

graduate
Quoted by Jo:

I would cheerfully have done a disappearing act from the pre-op ward in the last few hours!

Me too. I told them I am nervous give me something and by by.. I had a nice nap.
Pilot1

landjcarr

Misty and Jaz,

I was TERRIFIED beforehand. It was all I could think about. I became obsessed. Worried about the surgery, anesthia, pain, recovery,coumadin, scar, my dogs jumping on me, my daughter being scared, my husband being insenstitive, the stairs, the car, the laundry...I could go on and on and on. NONE of my worries came to fruition (well maybe the laundry pile, but that may not be related to the surgery).

I read over and over on this board that I should not be scared. Little did I know how true that was. It was not a walk in the park, but I have been through worse.

It amazes me constantly how smooth it all went. I watch the surgery videos on YouTube and am just amazed at how the human body adjusts and heals. We are all tougher than we think.

Don't waste your pre-op time like I did, being scared. Look forward to the surgery as a modern medicine gift. At three weeks I can do things that I haven't been able to do for a while. I CANNOT imagine how great I will be feeling in a few months! I look forward to finding out.

Best of luck to you both in your upcoming surgeries!

Laura

LTHR-1/22/10

OP
OP
M

Misty

Laura;
It's only been 3 weeks for you?? How much can you do now compared to before the surgery? When will I be able to put my socks and shoes on without it being a big event?::)LOL I have special streatchy shoelaces so I can put my sneakers on. LOL
Misty

sasvermont

Misty, I had my surgery on 10/31/09. I was scared to death, at best. I over thought every aspect of the event. Then, one day, it was the day for the surgery. I arrived and went through the steps, including trying to look like I was calm.

Once I woke up from the surgery, I had an uncomfortable lump (bandages) from the surgery, but no more hip pain. I had some pain later on, but not hip pain. You will be sooooo surprised to find out that the pain is gone. All that said, it takes time to recover - the incision is sometimes sore....and of course you must take it easy for weeks, but NO MORE HIP PAIN.

Being scared is so natural. Really. Just go with it and when you wake up from your surgery, there will be no more hip pain! Gone!
:thmb:

Texas

alpha
Hello I have to say I was so scared even come time to put my IV in I was ready to run......lol.......I didnt and very glad I didnt you will be happy and do just fine...........Get your life back instead of worrying all the time and saying I cant do this I cant do that noone wants to live like that............positive thoughts going your way hang in there.........best wishes to you..........try not to be nervous it was be ok and I think its just the unknown of what id getting realy to happen.....................)

Jaycey

FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Administrator
Country
Hi Misty,

As everyone here says - it's natural to be a bit anxious. Having gone through major spinal surgery two years ago I can confess I became obsessive with the whole thing prior to the op. Don't let it take over your life. You are doing the right thing by reading this board, asking tons of questions and letting everyone know what you are feeling. In the end this surgery has a fantastic success rate. They will not let you go home until you are able. So keep asking the questions and learning more. And by the way it helped me to talk to my four footed friends about my fears. Somehow they know and are always there for you. Take care, Jaycey

Rohanknitter

post-grad
You know, I didn't think I was all that scared.....a little nervous, sure, excited, all to be expected as I'd never experienced any kind of surgery. Then they took my blood pressure that morning shortly before surgery and it was way up there, LOL....I guess I was more nervous than I thought! (I also only slept for about 2 hours the night before) But you know, I was so miserable with hip pain, I was just so ready for something to help with it!! And I can honestly say I haven't had any pain with my surgery that is as bad as the pain I had with my bad hip joint. It's normal to be anxious, but just try to focus on the positives, how much better you will feel, and the blessing of modern medicine.
And it sounds like your doggie will be in very good hands, you must be a very good dog mommy. Just a little warning: mine was so excited when I came home from the hospital, she peed all over me!! What a welcome, lol!!

landjcarr

Laura;
It's only been 3 weeks for you?? How much can you do now compared to before the surgery? When will I be able to put my socks and shoes on without it being a big event?::)LOL I have special streatchy shoelaces so I can put my sneakers on. LOL
Misty
Misty,

In the weeks leading up to the surgery I was having a very difficult time with the socks and shoes. Pulled my back out every morning before work just trying to get dressed. I guess about two days ago, I was getting dressed and was sitting in a chair, I was able to bend down and tie my shoes!!! I was so excited I called my daughter in and "re-created" the episode. She is 13 and could care less, but hey, I was excited.

This morning I was sitting on the floor putting together a bookcase. Not crosslegged yet (that ability disappeared in the fall), but comfortably on my knees.

I can't say it enough, everyday I can do something new. IT IS AMAZING!!

Laura

PS- I was able to shave my "bad" leg at about two weeks.

grenouille

Country
Canada Canada
Hiya misty,
It seems most of us have that big fear having to rely on strangers to actually do something so VERY personal and invasive, and trust them to put it all right.From my experience, these strangers do the very best that is humanly possible to make it a re-assuring and safe experince.Your well being will be their top priority. I have nothing but praise for the doctors and nurses and all the staff that helped me to re gain my lost mobility and improve my quality of life.That old saying proved to be so true in this instance, you have nothing to fear but fear itself! Good luck with your journey, its well worth it.

sunshine

graduate
Hi Misty,
Oh yes, I was so scared or anxious as Jo would say. I had never really had any surgery like this and I just didn't know what to expect. Coming here was great, because where else can you talk with people who have had it done and are ok and a nurse like Jo who deals with this all the time. I mean it really helped to just associate myself with people here and this entire site. I felt like people here were with me as silly as that might sound. But that is what this is all about support and feeling like your not alone if you are alone.

Now I had the perfect surgery, no pain nothing the first time. So of course I am thinking a person can't be that lucky to have this twice can they? But I am anxious now only for the fact that I will be alone after surgery and hope I can do it. I will do it cause I have to. You have your little pooch to keep you company I think that is wonderful. Your going to be fine and back on here writing just like everyone else does after surgery.:D

The best part is, the nagging pain from the hip will be gone! That just has to be the worst pain I have ever had to deal with for so long. And it is wonderful to have it gone!
I know that you have other problems but I believe what they have told you also will help to take a lot of your pain away which will help you.:D We are all here pulling for you and will here the day you come back to write about your operation! (hugs)

Josephine

NURSE DIRECTOR EMERITUS
Nurse Director
Country
sunshine, my other knee is going to need to be done some time this year and I find myself thinking the same thing - is it possible to be that lucky twice in a row?

Josephine

NURSE DIRECTOR EMERITUS
Nurse Director
Country
Hope springs eternal, so they say! :wink:

pkuznets

senior
Country
United States United States
Oh, yeah, I was scared out of my mind! Every imaginable fear circulated constantly through my mind--almost to the point of minor insanity! I knew I needed the surgery deperately, but still I obsessed over every detail I could conjour up! Even in the last minutes before being wheeled into the operating room, I was quizzing my OS and my anesthesiologist on the hospital's "earthquake protocol" (hey, I live in California, and we DO have them from time to time!) Seriously, I was a wreck. Everything went perfectly, and now I cannot believe I was THAT out of my mind with fear! Think about YOUR job or whatever it is you do everyday; you are likely quite good at it and even go about it without fretting. The surgery team sees your surgery the same way: routine. They are highly-trained and professionally prepared and, most of all, experienced. Try to relax more--get a few things done that you won't be able to do for awhile. Re-pot some plants,make some soy candles, clean out a closet---you're going to have quite a few weeks of recovery, so spend your pre-op time getting ahead of some errands or chores--providing you are not in wrenching pain (as I was in the months prior to my RTHR). You are in for the most amazing, thrilling journey of your life!
Patrikya

carolt

Hi Misty:
I was so scared that I cried every night for weeks. I asked a ton of questions. (Unfortunately, that has lead my OS and his staff to decide that I'm an anxious patient (which I was/am) but it's my body, I get to ask questions!). Nevertheless, now I get up every day and walk around without the awful achy feeling in my hip that would make me gasp with pain sometimes. I'm 4.5 weeks out and I went to work part time last week (drove 35 min each way) and I've been back to the gym. I'm not sure it would have made me feel better before or not to know this, but the pain was really well controlled. I've never been above my '2' on the 0-10 scale. The nurses were great. The catheter was no big deal and even the drain didn't hurt at all when it was removed. I still can't get my sock on but everyone tells me that I will, so that doesn't worry me anymore. All I can say is that the surgery was way way less awful than I anticipated! Keep your chin up-- you'll be glad you did it.
Carol

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Schnoodle1
Recent bookmarks

Top Bottom