Want to ski

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kelleyslentz

My Dr. has said that he is replacing my knees with "high performance" and I would have no restrictions. My main concern is that I be able to ski both on the snow and water, but I would like to run, as well. I decided to go ahead with this surgery, since I am now at the point where even water aerobics hurt. I love to ride bike, and that hurts as well, so I simply don't want to live out the rest of my life like this, I am only 52. Does anyone have any experience with this situation?

Hi Kelly,

I am a 45 y/o female and will be undergoing a total knee replacement in June this year. My Dr. is putting in a pivotal joint with patella. I have been very limited with activity for 15 years. After walking for 20 minutes, I need a cane. Biking has also started to inflame my knee. I am looking forward to the surgery to get my active lifestyle back. Dr. told me that I can participate in all activities except contact sports. I can't wait.

Kelleyslentz said:
My Dr. has said that he is replacing my knees with "high performance" and I would have no restrictions. My main concern is that I be able to ski both on the snow and water, but I would like to run, as well. I decided to go ahead with this surgery, since I am now at the point where even water aerobics hurt. I love to ride bike, and that hurts as well, so I simply don't want to live out the rest of my life like this, I am only 52. Does anyone have any experience with this situation?

Interesting that your doctor has indicated that you will have no restrictions. That is somewhat contrary to what my surgeon is telling me. He has told me that although I will find the quality of life improving substantially activities like cross country skiing will need to be toned down particularly the hills and sudden turns. I too bike so it is important for me to continue this activity after recovery. Since I am only a couple of years older than you that would place us basically in the situation however body size and gender and activity level may account for some differences in the prognosis. As my first knee is due to be done in April followed by the other in Sept, I am optimistic about the outcome and look forward to more active lifestyle with the Next Gen Zimmer knee replacement. I would be curious to hear how your situation progresses.

Kelleyslentz said:

I don't know about skiing - my doc says no impact sports at all. No water skiing, uphill biking. Only.low impact I too want to know how you make out.

K

In response to the previous messages. I am a 60 year old, female, skier/hiker etc. and will be choosing my knee prothesis in the next two weeks. Does anyone have any experience with the DePuy rotating platform prosthesis?
Cyberthanks, Teko

Kelleyslentz said:
Yes I had my right knee replaced in Sept 2005, It is now May 2006 and I still have so many problems with it.Pain most of the time, I had it manulipulated in February and still have many problems with it. It is painful most of the time and I usually can not sleep.I cannot bend it further than 110 degrees and I still cannot straighten it completely. I am so disappointed with it. I even have trouble walking down stairs because it does not bend enough. I wish I had my old knee with all of its pain and problems.It just not feel natural to me.I am having my left knee done on friday, May 5, 2006 and am so aprehensive about it....

Hello Carolann, I recieved an email from you and i think you sent it to the wrong person. My problem is with hips and not knees! I'm sorry i can't help you except that i understand your pain but something must be done. By now, you shoud'nt have so much pain with your first knee operation! I personally think that something is wrong to have so much pain! Be firm and complain to the surgeon who operated on your knee. Good Luck tomorrow and best wishes. Sonia S.

Hi!! My doctor gave what I would say "high performance promises too"
and in some ways, I am not better at all....I do believe, that it is in the doctor and the hardware that makes all the difference....I am forty with a left knee replacement from 06-2005. I have to take great care in not over doing it and if I do, I am in horrible pain. My doctor told me that I will probably need my knee Re-replaced due to a ligment catching on my hardware. I'm not so sure I would have it done again...

This is my problem as well. I know I need a replacement. I talked to a
surgeon in Illinois who I trust and does a ton of knees. He wanted to
put in a DePuy high end rotating platform knee and said absolutely
no alpine skiing afterwards. He also said that no orthopod would tell
me differently. So I was all set to have him do me in April after ski
season. I'm out in Colorado and lots of people I've run into on the
slopes are running on artificial knees put in by guys in vail or denver.

So now I'm having second thoughts about my choice. I thought that
the parts were generally the same and you were looking for the good
mechanic. Now I am thinking that the flatland guy might like DePuy because
it lasts longest and that the mountain guys might install something else
based upon its sturdiness.

It would be a pain for me to get my knee done in Vail I could.

I guess I don't know whether the Illinois guy is telling me this based on
medical judgement or risk management judgement.

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• benne68
    Staff member since February 4, 2022
  • Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member