BoneSmart® Hip / Knee Replacement Forum
Joint Replacement Patient Advocacy
and Online Community

Want to help friend getting hip replacement

Discussion in 'Hip Replacement Pre-Op Area' started by lm945, Jun 12, 2018.

1. lm945

lm945 new member

United States United States
    A friend is having a hip replacement in July. She has a birthday coming up; I want to get her something useful, something that will make her more comfortable during her recovery.

Is there anything anyone would recommend? A particular type of pillow perhaps? My replacement was my knee, so I haven't a clue what would be best for her.

Thank you.

2. bottomshollow

bottomshollow ADMINISTRATOR Administrator

moved 12.jpg @lm945, from the monthly surgery list thread into a new thread here in the pre op forum for hips. Here your question will get the attention it deserves.

3. Bone-obo

Bone-obo senior

• Like Like x 1
  4. jaydub63

jaydub63 graduate

Maybe get her a jazzy cane that has a pattern that fits her personality? I got a cute folding one from Switch Sticks that is black with multicolored bubbles on it - came with a nice case too. I got it from Walgreen's website but Amazon has them too. I also found a couple of gel foam seat cushions from Costco were helpful to put on seats that were a little too hard or low - I'm still using one of them on my office chair.

Maybe think about things you can DO for her too - do a grocery run, drive her to appts, drop off some meals, take her for a quick coffee or lunch when she's up to it. That might be more useful than "stuff" depending on how much help/support she'll have available at home. Think about things that made you feel good during your TKR recovery. Get a nice card and make some "coupons" she can redeem for your services!

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. anny

anny graduate

New Zealand New Zealand
    how about a few frozen home-cooked meals to put in her freezer.....especially if accompanied by some yummy puds....or a big block of chocolate :yes!:

What a lovely friend you are.....ever thought of moving to NZ :wink::heehee:

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  6. Jesus fan

Jesus fan junior member

Wow! I wish I had a friend like you. I liked the coupon idea.

7. sequin98

sequin98 graduate

Canada Canada
    The reachers, a cane, a sock aid, long shoe horn....what a great idea! (and to think, all my friends got me was intoxicated...lol) :rotfl:

Edit by Josephine
    You can find all these and more in here Recovery Aids: A comprehensive list for hospital and home
    And support BoneSmart when you purchase there too!

• Funny Funny x 1
  8. GrannyC

GrannyC post-grad

I would suggest some type of bag or basket for her walker so she can carry things from room to room. It comes in handy to take a drink, snack or meds from kitchen to living room. She can also keep her phone in there.
    The meal suggestions are great, too, as are the offer to run errands or drive her to doctor. Just the fact that you are there for her is wonderful and a gift in itself! Another thought would be a good book to read. It’s hard to concentrate at first but after a week or two it might be nice to have a good book to look forward to. I think the things you needed and she would need are very similar. I never got a sock thingy or a grabber but I wasn’t home alone. I could always ask my husband to pick up anything I dropped.

You might give your friend the link to BoneSmart so she can post and we can all be there for her, too, to answer questions and offer support. You are a true friend indeed!

• Agree Agree x 1