Lounge Doctor

Bilateral TKR Walking with pain after six months

OP
OP
B

BTKRmarch11

Country
United States United States
I wanted to have minimal invasive surgery, and two weeks before my surgery date, I find out that he does not perform minimal invasive surgery.
I’ve been reading about your recovery. I had a PKR a month ago and now I realize there’s no such thing as a minimally invasive knee replacement. I thought I would recover faster with a partial but I seem to be struggling with the same obstacles as members with a TKR.
Good luck to you as well. The knee replacement surgery has a so complicated Recovery where some people recover quickly and some others last one to two years. I had a difficult time making the decision for going through he surgery, and thought about it for at least eight months, talk with different people who had the surgery, my PT, online chat with others, etc, I thought high level pain would last a few weeks, for me I had high level pain until 8-9 weeks post OP. I thought muscle weakness lasts for about six weeks, I had weak muscles in my legs until week 12-14, and still feel weak.
inthought I could resume normal activity by weeks 7-10, I still have not resumed my normal activities. I have retired two and half years ago, so I could wait for resuming my normal activities like traveling, camping, etc.
good luck to both of us, and everyone else.

OP
OP
B

BTKRmarch11

Country
Anyone is having pain walking still after several months of the knee replacement?

I am about five months post Bilateral TKR, and can’t walk more than100 feet without pain In my knees. I have good ROM, 130 and excellent extension. However, my walking without pain has not improved. From the beginning after the surgery, I have had trouble walk8ng without pain. I went shopping at HomeDepot and grocery store last week, and had pain afterward, and did not feel better for several days. To control my pain, I just don’t walk.

please share if you have trouble walking in the early months after your surgery, and did it improve later.

thanks

Jaycey

FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Administrator
Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
@BTKRmarch11 Are you icing and elevating regularly? Ice for 45-60 minutes several times per day. And try short walks building up the time on your feet very slowly. A big shopping trip is bound to make you sore if you are not walking any other time.

sistersinhim

Country
Try to remember that your knees aren't even halfway through this year+ healing. With having both done, your body has to heal twice as much at the same time. I believe what you are going through is normal. As Jaycey said, ice, and elevate frequently to reduce your swelling and pain.

OP
OP
B

BTKRmarch11

Country
I had bilateral knee replacement About six months ago. I still have trouble walking distance without pain.
I have less pain biking, but walking becomes painful quickly. I have some swelling on the lower end of the patella bone which becomes painful even at rest, otherwise not much swelling. Anyone had this trouble, what happened eventually for you.
I am concerned.

Celle

Country
New Zealand New Zealand
Hi @BTKRmarch11
You'll notice that I have merged your two threads together as we prefer that members in recovery only have one thread.

This is for three reasons:
1. if you keep starting new threads, you miss the posts others have left you in the old threads
2. it often ends up that information is unnecessarily repeated
3. it's best if we can keep all your recovery story in one place so it's easily accessed if we need to advise you.

Please keep all your questions and updates on this thread.
If you prefer a different thread title, just post what you want and we'll get it changed for you.
If you need an urgent response to a question, just tag a member of staff.
Tagging other members and answering tags

Here are the instructions on finding your thread, How can I find my threads and posts?Many members bookmark their thread, so they can find it when they log on.

Celle

Country
New Zealand New Zealand
It's not quite 6 months since your surgery and complete recovery takes a full year, so you have plenty of time for improvement. Where your knees are now is not where they're going to end up.

For now, I suggest you restrict your walking to what doesn't cause the pain and swelling. Spend a bit of extra time resting, and you could try elevating and icing again, until your knees settle down a bit.
Then, try gradually increasing the distance you walk.

New

Active Antibacterial

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Rosy G
Recent bookmarks

Top Bottom